Amp block tweaks vs real amp settings

MarkShrader

Inspired
There are times when the modeled amp does not fully represent the actual amp. Is there a recommended way to interpret AMP Block knobs (in the model) so that they match the actual amp's knobs, when there is not an obvious choice?

For clarity sake, consider the opposite: what if each amp model we chose to use had a set of knobs, switches and buttons that looked exactly like the front panel of the actual amp. Therefore each change we made to the virtual amp would correctly affect the modeling of the actual amp. It would therefore be intuitive to document and describe to another Axe user certain sounds and characteristics because there would be a one-to-one match with all the controls and settings. (I know this is not the case now, nor am I suggesting it as a "wish," I am merely attempting to better clarify my question.)

The Wiki does a great job describing many of the controls but is there a rule of thumb when they are not represented? Thanks for your input.

One of the unique features of the Axe is that it lets adjust settings and controls which aren't on the actual amp.
Would be weird to impose a limitation by sticking to the original controls.
Also, for the most part controls on the models do behave like the controls on the actual amp.
Even more so in v10.

It sounds like from Cliff and the beta testers et.Al., that firmware version 10 will close the gap significantly in the amp controls vs. the real amp department.

I'm glad for this change. Just because there is so much out there that you can Google up amp settings and then directly try them out with the expectation that the amp model will be close to the real amp at those settings.

Oh okay. I hadn't heard that they were doing any changes to the interface like that. I least I assume they would be making changes to the interface. Ie., more knobs/less knobs depending on which amp you select. Hmmm, just saying that out loud reminds me how tricky that could become... Would be cool though wouldn't it?

If you want it to react similar to the real amp, just use the basic tab. The advanced parameters are for going to infinity and beyond what the real amp can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh okay. I hadn't heard that they were doing any changes to the interface like that. I least I assume they would be making changes to the interface. Ie., more knobs/less knobs depending on which amp you select. Hmmm, just saying that out loud reminds me how tricky that could become... Would be cool though wouldn't it?

No, no changes to the interface. No less/more knobs per amp model. For the reason explained above.

Right, no interface changes.
Keep in mind, like the rest of the Fractal community here, I have made quite a few great patches on my own (it's so easy with this awesome tool!) which I use live. But often I find myself guessing, researching, listening, and then guessing some more for which parameters will make the changes I am looking for. I have to assume that many others here do as well. That is why I asked if there was something more concrete in terms of a rule of thumb to keep in mind, such as TheGoatLord's advice. If the entire process is trial and error then so be it, but I'd rather dial and play than tone-obsess endlessly. KWIM? Especially with the high mountain of choices that the AF2 gives us.

Right, use your ears.
I really don't care about matching of amp models to real amps anymore.
Yesterday a friend of mine showed up in my studio with his latest "real" amp, a Dr. Z Z-Wreck. Great amp for sure. I fired up my Axe and RCF, played some similar stuff through both and the Axe was in no way less great, even with my "standard" patch without tweaking at all. Did it sound identical? No, but I didn't even try to.

Back
Top Bottom