• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Closed Amp block reset, retaining values on "Authentic" page

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larzzz

Hi! This might be something that some people on this forum don't want/need, due to the way they're using the Axe-FX III, but I wanted to try to articulate something that would be super helpful for my workflow: a button that resets the amp channel but retains all of the settings on the "authentic" page. This may be more of an Axe Edit request than an Axe-FX II wish - I'm not sure, but the functionality would be appreciated both on the Axe-FX hardware and the Axe-Edit application.

Anyway!

Judging from conversation on this forum, it seems like a lot of people are drawn to Fractal products because of the tweakability and how accessible minute elements of the amp models are. I think that's great and love hearing what people are doing with the Axe-FX, but that's not me - I'm here because of the accuracy of the models and how many iconic amplifiers there are in the box. I basically never tough anything outside of the options on the "authentic" page. For me, a big part of the appeal isn't tweaking, it's interacting with amps that feel real and react realistically, just like they would if I was sitting in front of an actual amp that I will never be able to afford or play at volume.

The addition of the "authentic" page a few firmware versions back was INCREDIBLE - no longer did I need to look at Yek's guide just to figure out which of the controls in the amp model were present on the original hardware. Seriously, I love it!

What I don't love these days, now that "reset channel" in Axe Edit resets things on the "Authentic" page to their default values, is the process of making sure the esoteric values "under the hood" are accordance with the current values as prescribed by the most recent Axe-FX firmware. I have enough presets that I use for different combinations of amps and guitars that the process is feeling pretty out of control. As of now, I have to take notes about where the drive, input drive, high cut, trim, level, etc... are on my presets, then click "reset channel" and then go through and re-input the values within Axe Edit. Doing this 4 times (once per each amp channel) per preset, times, like, 50 or so presets (and then making notes to make it clear which presets I've put through this process) is fiddly, uncreative, and time consuming.

It seems to me that if there were a button that reset the channel on the amp block, but retained the values on the authentic page (including level and trim, etc...), it could be something that would be really well received by people who do most or all of their work on the authentic page, i.e., people who approach amp models as purists (like I enjoy doing).

Okay, thanks for reading! I know this was wordy, but I'm trying to spell out what I mean and explain the rationale behind the request.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if you're never using any setting outside of the Authentic page, why are you resetting the Amp? Since all of the settings on the page represent actual Amp controls, there is no valid "default" other than something arbitrary (like all tone controls on 5).

I'm resetting the amp because, from firmware version to firmware version, there are changes to parameters like Speaker Compression and god knows what else. In order to keep the amp model current with the current firmware, some of the updates include the suggestion to reset the amp blocks, and being able to do that without losing the core settings on the authentic page would be helpful for people who use the Axe-FX largely via the authentic page, like I do.

Does that answer your question? Thanks for responding!

I'm resetting the amp because, from firmware version to firmware version, there are changes to parameters like Speaker Compression and god knows what else. In order to keep the amp model current with the current firmware, some of the updates include the suggestion to reset the amp blocks, and being able to do that without losing the core settings on the authentic page would be helpful for people who use the Axe-FX largely via the authentic page, like I do.

Does that answer your question? Thanks for responding!
Yep... People have wanted a way to do similar things going way back.

Check out FracTool... I think it has a means to "reset amp block but preserve certain settings".

@AlGrenadine can confirm or deny ;)

Thank you for the recommendation!

If worse comes to worse, I'll figure out how to make Fractool work. Windows always stops me from running it, and having to disable system security just to run it is something that I imagine lots of people don't have a problem with, but it's sort of a sticking point for me. My suggestion is in the spirit of making the Axe-FX more accessible. I imagine there are others like me who love the best-in-the-world modeling but aren't creatively inspired by tweaking, and that a feature like this would make the Axe-FX easier to use for that user group.

In my mind, third party software labeled with "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" and a requirement to disable Windows' built-in security in order to run the program clashes with that spirit. I totally understand if people who use the device with the mindset that I do aren't the core user group that Fractal is developing for, but if accessibility is important for the future of the Axe-FX (which I think the "authentic" page is a great step towards), I think my suggestion may help out with that mission.

I don't mean to run down FracTool at all - I think it's great that an application that accomplishes all these tasks exists. I just personally haven't felt totally comfortable using it, and that's probably more my problem than FracTool's.

In my mind, third party software labeled with "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK" and a requirement to disable Windows' built-in security in order to run the program clashes with that spirit.
A free software that doesn't say "use at your own risk" is the one that I wouldn't trust ;)

To be very fair, I think FracTool has to use reverse engineering for many aspects of what it does because Fractal doesn't publish internal protocols.

The only risk is that it may do something unexpected to your presets. Assuming you have a backup (you always make a backup!), there isn't much risk.

I use it on Windows with no issues. I'm not stopped from running it...

It's your choice (obviously) but there are many, many people who use it regularly AND give Al some money to boot.

+1.

This would be great. It would allow me to keep basic settings but if I'm feelin' froggy and go about messing with deep parameters and mess things up, I could get back home with one click without having to turn 4-10 knobs back to where I liked them.

It's cool as it is, but this would be handy, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom