Amp Block input select - Sum L+R vs Left. Is there a difference?

pitmonkey

Inspired
When I was revisiting old presets a couple of nights ago I realised that some of them have the amp block input select set to Left and some have it set to Sum L+R. I know the sum is supposed to be the default and I never knowingly changed that setting so I'm not sure why some of my presets are one way and some are the other but hey...

When I switched it to Left only I swear the sound became slightly clearer and more focused, as if there was a tiny bit of phasing or a couple of miliseconds difference between the input signal that was being summed into the amp block. I know that it shouldn't make a difference, my signal path before the amp block is always mono and usually only has a compressor and a drive block, but somehow it seemed like it did. I'm also totally willing to accept that it's psychological on my part!

Has anybody else noticed this?

Just interested to see if it's actually all in my head/ears...

Yes, there is a 6dB difference.
I see in the wiki that if you are using L+R as a global input mode while only plugged into the L channel then your signal will be attenuated by 6 dB and you might pick up noise from the unused R input. But this applies to the global input. It also implies that the Sum L+R must compensate for the 6dB boost of summing the same signal together because it results in a 6dB loss when you sum one signal with silence.

If you want a second opinion you could reamp a DI twice, once with each setting, and then compare the final results.

If the left & right signals arriving at the amp block are identical

That's the catch. For the important use case of digital input, for example when reamping a mono DI, they're not the same, and that's when you'll see a difference between "left only" and "sum l+r". I'm pretty sure the exact difference between the modes has changed over firmware versions, and that might explain the incorrect instruction in the manual about how to manually compensate for the difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom