AMP BLOCK: FRFR vs SS POWERAMP + CAB setting

richo144

when using a SS powearmp with real cab there is a noticeable difference changing the amp block setting (in the speaker page) from FRFR to SS Poweramp+CAB?
That would mean that I have to change this setting in every preset but if is not noticeable difference I would rather leave it as FRFR because I also use my FM9 with studio monitors.

The difference between those two settings can be subtle. Use whichever one makes your life better.

Or copy your presets and change the setting on the copies. Now got have two sets of presets. One set for cab and one set for FRFR.

The manual suggests using "SS PWR AMP + CAB" whenever using a real cab, but then separately suggests to turn off speaker drive and compression in the same scenario. I have no idea if doing the former replaces the latter, and would love to hear from anyone who knows/has tried

I have always used FRFR output mode even when running into a Quilter Poweramp and my 2x12. Tried the "SS PWR + CAB" setting for a couple weeks of rehearsals and I did not perceive a difference... Mmmaybe it was a little "harder" and less squishy? I was not using a saggy amp model (USA Lead and Shiver Clean) so... YMMV

The manual suggests using "SS PWR AMP + CAB" whenever using a real cab, but then separately suggests to turn off speaker drive and compression in the same scenario. I have no idea if doing the former replaces the latter, and would love to hear from anyone who knows/has tried
The idea is that, if you’re using an actual guitar cab, the cab is already giving you speaker compression and drive. But this is only true if you’re driving the speaker hard (loud), and it’s not automatically a better tone. As always, try both ways, and see what you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom