Amp Block, Dynamics Tab. If you don't like the feel of the model, go here!

What is the Definition linked to the foot controller doing?
I have a few foot controllers so I configured one for the definition parameter, which is a tilt eq that helps me out if I change from a bright guitar to a darker one, or vice versa.

Last edited:
Another setting that should not be discounted is the input trim. It has a huge factor on the input signal and going from clean picking to digging in and getting more distortion. I seldom have mine set very high. For my Marshally rock stuff it ranges from .3 to .8

1709310629392.png

For my Marshally rock stuff it ranges from .3 to .8
Yon can also use scene controllers, control switches and even expression pedals to control it between scenes or even within a single scene. Or pitch follower to have bass clean and high notes singing. Incredibly useful. My favorite tool in the box!

Yon can also use scene controllers, control switches and even expression pedals to control it between scenes or even within a single scene. Or pitch follower to have bass clean and high notes singing. Incredibly useful. My favorite tool in the box!
already on it. lol

just to add to the mix, there was this other thread that discusses a lot.
The cathode follower settings are crazy for the Amp in the Room thing at least for me. I set it to 20% with the harmonics set at .3 and wow. The sound was warmer for sure so it's definitely not just for feel but it seemed to reduce sterility and behave more like an amp.
1709322493749.png

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...wness-ripping-attack-less-compression.193563/

Attachments

• 20240229_234043.jpg
    20240229_234043.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Along with power tube hardness, you can also turn down the preamp tube hardness (gain) as well.
I found a tube hardness adjustment in at least two different places. I also found that in the UI on the face of the FM9 it is only in one place and that place is different than the two other places in FM9 Edit. I haven't figured out how each of them affects the sound yet. Every time I get to touch it I only have like 15 minutes to mess with it. I am hoping that I get more time with it this weekend.

Hey Jason, which compression parameter was this one? thanks
Output compression on the Dynamics page?
Yes that is where it is at. I see that someone posted screenshots of it. Thank you for that!

Dynamics and its Output Compressor have been in the Amp block since the Axe-Fx II. i believe it was there since the launch of the Axe3, FM3, etc.
This is about the FM9 firmware. I don't know that it was there in the earlier versions. I don't remember seeing it. That doesn't mean it wasn't there but I would thought that a tab named Dynamics would have caught my attention when I was looking for a way to get more dynamics. Again, I could have missed it but don't remember it being there.

Thank you for all of the replies. I am happy to see the discussion of other parameters to look at as well. Once I get this piece of the puzzle fully figured out I can see that my satisfaction with the FM9 will be higher than it is today. I have a couple of patches that I built that really serve my needs. I use the scenes to swap amps and settings on things to really get the three types of tones I use. I play everything from very clean to the higher end of medium gain. That is a reason that the feel is very important to me. I use my volume knob a lot and rely on my gain changing as I do that.

EDIT: I have tested the FM9 through headphones, FRFR and into my DAW with SPDIF. I have not been thrilled with the dynamics in any of these scenarios. It has been a while since I hooked it up to a power amp and cabinet but the results have been pretty much the same in all of these scenarios. I have also tried setting the knob setting like they are on the amp even though I know that tolerances is a thing but figured it would get me in the ballpark. They sounded very different. I am also gaging this by the amount of gain and dynamics. I know the tone can vary depending on the IR. I have the stock IRs as well as a few packs from Yorkville. I plan on really digging into this in the near future. I am going out of town next week and know I need to spend some time preparing for that trip so I may not get as much time as I would like this weekend.

I found a tube hardness adjustment in at least two different places. I also found that in the UI on the face of the FM9 it is only in one place and that place is different than the two other places in FM9 Edit. I haven't figured out how each of them affects the sound yet. Every time I get to touch it I only have like 15 minutes to mess with it. I am hoping that I get more time with it this weekend.

Yes that is where it is at. I see that someone posted screenshots of it. Thank you for that!

This is about the FM9 firmware. I don't know that it was there in the earlier versions. I don't remember seeing it. That doesn't mean it wasn't there but I would thought that a tab named Dynamics would have caught my attention when I was looking for a way to get more dynamics. Again, I could have missed it but don't remember it being there.

Thank you for all of the replies. I am happy to see the discussion of other parameters to look at as well. Once I get this piece of the puzzle fully figured out I can see that my satisfaction with the FM9 will be higher than it is today. I have a couple of patches that I built that really serve my needs. I use the scenes to swap amps and settings on things to really get the three types of tones I use. I play everything from very clean to the higher end of medium gain. That is a reason that the feel is very important to me. I use my volume knob a lot and rely on my gain changing as I do that.

EDIT: I have tested the FM9 through headphones, FRFR and into my DAW with SPDIF. I have not been thrilled with the dynamics in any of these scenarios. It has been a while since I hooked it up to a power amp and cabinet but the results have been pretty much the same in all of these scenarios. I have also tried setting the knob setting like they are on the amp even though I know that tolerances is a thing but figured it would get me in the ballpark. They sounded very different. I am also gaging this by the amount of gain and dynamics. I know the tone can vary depending on the IR. I have the stock IRs as well as a few packs from Yorkville. I plan on really digging into this in the near future. I am going out of town next week and know I need to spend some time preparing for that trip so I may not get as much time as I would like this weekend.
Can you describe a little more what you are missing and/or what are you expecting ?

I’m in kinda same Boat as you.

Can you describe a little more what you are missing and/or what are you expecting ?

I’m in kinda same Boat as you.
What I am really hoping for is to adjust these parameters and achieve the dynamics and feel of my real amps. I have a Twin Sister and am comparing that to the two Dirty Shirley models in my FM9. I use a lot of dynamics in my playing. I use my volume knob a lot on my guitar as well as lightening up with my picking and attack on the strings and then digging in more. I want the range of drive that I get with my amp when I do this.

I am not sure why they created two models of the Dirty Shirley. From what I can tell so far one is a good bit darker than the other. I am not sure what other differences there are. I need to make sure I am using the same IR on them. I currently have them set up under different scenes of my preset. I am using one for a crunch sound and the other for a medium gain sound. My plan is to make sure I am using a Creamback IR since that is what my real amp uses for a speaker. I will break out my A/B switch so I can swap between them and see how far I get. I have various ways of amplifying the modeler. I have a speaker on a pole in my room right now and will start with that. I have a bigger one I can swap to as well. I may fire up the Fryette and run it through another cabinet I have with a Creamback in it as well. My real goal is to get it to sound as close as I can running through the speaker I currently have in here.

What I am really hoping for is to adjust these parameters and achieve the dynamics and feel of my real amps. I have a Twin Sister and am comparing that to the two Dirty Shirley models in my FM9. I use a lot of dynamics in my playing. I use my volume knob a lot on my guitar as well as lightening up with my picking and attack on the strings and then digging in more. I want the range of drive that I get with my amp when I do this.

I am not sure why they created two models of the Dirty Shirley. From what I can tell so far one is a good bit darker than the other. I am not sure what other differences there are. I need to make sure I am using the same IR on them. I currently have them set up under different scenes of my preset. I am using one for a crunch sound and the other for a medium gain sound. My plan is to make sure I am using a Creamback IR since that is what my real amp uses for a speaker. I will break out my A/B switch so I can swap between them and see how far I get. I have various ways of amplifying the modeler. I have a speaker on a pole in my room right now and will start with that. I have a bigger one I can swap to as well. I may fire up the Fryette and run it through another cabinet I have with a Creamback in it as well. My real goal is to get it to sound as close as I can running through the speaker I currently have in here.

O que eu realmente espero é ajustar esses parâmetros e alcançar a dinâmica e a sensação dos meus amplificadores reais. Eu tenho uma irmã gêmea e estou comparando-a com os dois modelos Dirty Shirley do meu FM9. Eu uso muita dinâmica na minha forma de tocar. Eu uso muito o botão de volume na minha guitarra, além de aliviar a palhetada e o ataque nas cordas e depois aprofundar mais. Quero o alcance do drive que obtenho com meu amplificador quando faço isso.

Não sei por que criaram dois modelos da Dirty Shirley. Pelo que posso dizer até agora, um é um pouco mais escuro que o outro. Não tenho certeza de quais outras diferenças existem. Preciso ter certeza de que estou usando o mesmo IR neles. Atualmente, tenho-os configurados em diferentes cenas da minha predefinição. Estou usando um para um som crunch e outro para um som de ganho médio. Meu plano é ter certeza de que estou usando um Creamback IR, já que é isso que meu amplificador real usa como alto-falante. Vou quebrar meu switch A/B para poder alternar entre eles e ver até onde chego. Tenho várias maneiras de amplificar o modelador. Eu tenho um alto-falante em um poste no meu quarto agora e vou começar com ele. Tenho um maior para trocar também. Posso ligar o Fryette e colocá-lo em outro gabinete que tenho com um Creamback também. Meu verdadeiro objetivo é fazer com que soe o mais próximo possível do alto-falante que tenho aqui atualmente.

Back
Top Bottom