Amp and speaker index

Bertotti

Inspired
I am curious is there an index of amp and speaker cabs with some sort of explanation of what each is modeled after? Some I can guess but many are beyond me. I am not worldly when it comes to amp models or names honing at which they may be unless it is obvious. Thanks!

Just went through the amp list and it helps a lot thanks. I had printed a list off but it only had the name not the model it was representing. Thanks again! Next stop cabs!

Just went through the amp list and it helps a lot thanks. I had printed a list off but it only had the name not the model it was representing. Thanks again! Next stop cabs!
No problem. It's a lot of systems and mechanics to keep on top of, but the Wiki is a great resource for that. I often refer back to it and just as often learn something from it or am inspired to try something because of it.

Someone else gave me a link to it but at the time it was just too much. I have only had it a week now and most of that time has been me working 12.5 hour days and sleeping.

Someone else gave me a link to it but at the time it was just too much. I have only had it a week now and most of that time has been me working 12.5 hour days and sleeping.
It can definitely be overwhelming. But taking it slow with either the Factory Presets or just simple user ones can get you up and running and enjoying playing quickly. And I hope you get to have some time to really sit down and enjoy the Axe. It's really an inspiration box.

It can definitely be overwhelming. But taking it slow with either the Factory Presets or just simple user ones can get you up and running and enjoying playing quickly. And I hope you get to have some time to really sit down and enjoy the Axe. It's really an inspiration box.
Absolutely. Right now I’m just surfing amps and cabs and will probably be doing that for a month or so. Then I’ll get into some of the other blocks. There are other good options out there like the ToneX a friend is head over heels for. But I chose this one because I wanted the best chance to get what I wanted. The biggies are my amps inside as close as possible or something very similar. I am delighted I have almost already done that. Now playing through my PS100 into a 2x12 with a Weber Silver Bell and Blue Dog gets in the zone. I have a Winfield DustDevil that with an ABY pedal lets me play both channels at the same time. One side is very Fendery almost like a dual showman the other a Vox very much an ef86-style AC. Those two together complement each other so well and that desire brought me to this beast. So far so good! I’ll get a few hours on weekends but it’s a busy time for me so during the week it’s mostly eat work and sleep.

Last edited:
Starting with what's familiar and keeping a similar workflow as an analog or tube rig helps a lot when programming, I found. And that Winfield Dust Devil sounds like a cool amp. You can definitely get those combinations of flavors in the Axe. That's great that it's going well and that you'll have some time to enjoy your time with the Axe.

Starting with what's familiar and keeping a similar workflow as an analog or tube rig helps a lot when programming, I found. And that Winfield Dust Devil sounds like a cool amp. You can definitely get those combinations of flavors in the Axe. That's great that it's going well and that you'll have some time to enjoy your time with the Axe.
I have tue idea now a saw a post in the brilliant thread where someone created a dual amp set up with a Bassman with it so stereo I guess. I am tying it next. I need to find some cabs that are like my favored 2x12 sadly I mix speakers so maybe that will be tuff. I haven’t dug into making my own IR yet. But that will probably be next. There is so much in here I have gotten nothing done around my home!

I have tue idea now a saw a post in the brilliant thread where someone created a dual amp set up with a Bassman with it so stereo I guess. I am tying it next. I need to find some cabs that are like my favored 2x12 sadly I mix speakers so maybe that will be tuff. I haven’t dug into making my own IR yet. But that will probably be next. There is so much in here I have gotten nothing done around my home!
There are a lot of things to try in the Axe and it (for me at least) is a fun adventure. As far as mixing speakers, it may take some research but I am confident you'll find something you like; whether or not it matches your real cab who knows. And having your own IR would be cool as well. I haven't done that, but I generally don't mix speakers. That could be fun though. And yeah, time flies when I'm tweaking the Axe, so I definitely can relate.

Someone likely knows of a better way that this, but... I look at the type of speaker in the cab and deduce the magnet info from there. For example, Celestion Blackbacks are ceramic, JBL D120s are alnico, etc. Since the magnet isn't typically listed in the cab list (sometimes it is though), but most speakers are, this was just the easiest way for me to do this. I've spent a LOT of time looking these kinds of things up online (speakers are another of my obsessions).

The Wiki will give some information on the speakers used, but not all the time. Another point to consider is that the IR that works best for you, may not correspond with the real speakers you are used to. There are a lot of options and while it can be daunting at first, it can also be fun. A recorded tone, is a lot different than an amp in the room one. So, I'm not discouraging finding your specific speakers in IR form or anything like that, rather I am encouraging that the tone that you like can be found in a variety of ways.

Back
Top Bottom