Amp and cab match default?

Suke

Hi All, I just got my AX8 last week and really digging it so far. I own a Roland GP10, Eleven Rack and Amplitube and they all have a default cab that can load with the amp. Is there a way to do this in AX8? I'm guessing not because they are separate blocks.

I've searched the manual and forum and can't find any info on it. I would just love to audition amps as they were initially intended. As if I walked into a studio with 15 amps and walked along with a cable and just plugged into them. I don't mind finding a 2x12 cab for a Fender Twin, but alot of the amps in AX8 I've never had the experience of trying and don't know what the default cab would be. I'm guessing this is why the Naked Amps exist. Sorry if this has been covered before, Thanks

Thank you yek! that is so helpful, This will be a great value for me to better understand the amps too. Thank you for taking the time putting that manual together and sharing it with us. And I'm guessing the answer to my original question is no, there is no way to load a amp and default cab at the same time.

I’d change your mindset to not think there is a right or wrong or default cab, because that merely is a subjective opinion of whomever made the preset.

For a given cab you can have dozens of different IR choices with different mics, so who is to say which should be the default cab IR for say, a deluxe reverb ?

I personally find a cab I like, and try it with different amps. I actually find I like soemthing like a 4x12 greenback even with smaller combo amps.

Generally when you go into a studio and they have 15 amps, they aren’t all mic’d up with different cabs. Rather, they have an amp switcher which sends all those amps to an existing cab.

There are certainly some good resources for some people’s subjectice opinions, and you can always use those as starting points, but I’d say embrace that you can select all the different amps without it defaulting to a given cab choice.

I’d change your mindset to not think there is a right or wrong or default cab, because that merely is a subjective opinion of whomever made the preset.

The OP is looking for guidance on quickly selecting cabs for amps, with almost 200 stock cabs to choose from.

Most manufacturers of the modeled amps already match speaker / cabinets with their amps. Why wouldn't one use that information? Saves many, many hours.

Also, the default LF/HF values in the Amp block match the speaker cabinets that are commonly used with the amp. Selecting such a speaker cabinet matches that default data, which in theory results in better or more authentic performance.

Thank you guys for the replies, I was looking for a way to try an amp as if I bought it at the store, more so with combo amps than anything. Combo amps obviously have a matching cab ;) And i totally get the difference in mics and options and that is such a cool part of the FAS products.

I believe the AX8-Edit has a feature that allows you to export a preset-cab bundle. So if you create presets with your ultimate 'combo' amp signal chains, you can export them together. I haven't used this feature yet.

The OP is looking for guidance on quickly selecting cabs for amps, with almost 200 stock cabs to choose from.

Most manufacturers of the modeled amps already match speaker / cabinets with their amps. Why wouldn't one use that information? Saves many, many hours.

Also, the default LF/HF values in the Amp block match the speaker cabinets that are commonly used with the amp. Selecting such a speaker cabinet matches that default data, which in theory results in better or more authentic performance.

I don’t always like doing what is easiest, or following what “should” be done.

I like finding my own sound, and try to encourage others to find their own path too.

As I said, I view it as a positive thing that I can select a given amp and it doesn’t automatically give me a cab. If I did, I might not have stumbled upon some of my own favorite pairings.

So you can stick with your guides on how stuff should be done, and I’ll stick with encouraging folks to forget “the rules” and hopefully the end result is everyone can end up happy with their tone.

And as always, anyone who doesn’t like my advice or approaches to guitar/music/life can simply add me to their “ignore” lists and stick with the “right” way to do things

Thank you guys for the replies, I was looking for a way to try an amp as if I bought it at the store, more so with combo amps than anything. Combo amps obviously have a matching cab ;) And i totally get the difference in mics and options and that is such a cool part of the FAS products.
Maybe you already know this, but another good way to do this is to find some 'preset packs' that people either give away or sell where they have either selected the correct factory cab or bundled a user created cab with an amp and packaged in a preset to try/buy.

You will see these in the AX8 forums when new ones are released or you can search for them. Disclaimer - I don't sell or distribute any of these (yet), but I have found them useful to try out different tones and find a good pairing. Also, the factory presets that come with the AX8 may be useful in this manner too! But it is also fun to try something completely different when creating a preset from scratch.

The world is your oyster with Fractal...

@yek @lqdsnddist Thank you both and I appreciate both of your perspectives. On one side, I'm old school and for the last 33 years I've plugged right into amps and their cabs they were built and designed with. I love Fender amps and I knew what to expect (that's why I would buy it). On the other hand I was stuck with that choice and no easy way to change (speakers tubes etc). With the AX8 I can have both and even create amp cab combos that dont or shouldn't exist, thats awesome! I was just hoping I could load an amp cab combo at once, just like my old school way. It would also give me a chance to try an amp as if I was buying at the store. I've never tried a Carvin Legacy amp and I know it didnt ship with a 1x6 amp so I would like to hear how it was originally intended (as Carvin had intended) and then go from there and add a 1x6 cab if I want.

@WhiteSpace Thank you, yes I had seen them and I am very curious. But I wanted to get to know just the original unit first as there is so much to do. I'll check out the preset cab bundle option, with that and yeks guide I could just build my own version of the basic amp presets that I like.

Exporting Preset amp\cab bundles is something I always use. For some amps I rename the preset bundle to reflect this- by adding the cab to preset name-abbreviated i.e. Mesa Lead EV12L.
I do this because depending on the application a different speaker might fit better with same amp in that situation.

I don’t always like doing what is easiest, or following what “should” be done.

I like finding my own sound, and try to encourage others to find their own path too.

As I said, I view it as a positive thing that I can select a given amp and it doesn’t automatically give me a cab. If I did, I might not have stumbled upon some of my own favorite pairings.

So you can stick with your guides on how stuff should be done, and I’ll stick with encouraging folks to forget “the rules” and hopefully the end result is everyone can end up happy with their tone.

And as always, anyone who doesn’t like my advice or approaches to guitar/music/life can simply add me to their “ignore” lists and stick with the “right” way to do things

I responded to the OP's request. That's not per se my own POV and I'm not forcing my view upon others. I've matched many amps to "non default" cabs. But again, the OP asked for something specific and I answered that. I responded to your post because I don't quite agree with the content. That's called discussing, and that's what we do here all week.

I'm puzzled why you feel attacked and react in the way that you do.

I've found that, once you get a bit of a feel for the unit, it's helpful to find an amp you like and then scroll through EVERY cab to test. The ones you like, write them down or right click and save them as a color. I have different colors for clean and high gain cabs. Makes it easy to narrow it down.

Also, you can try mixing cabs. If you find one is too bright and one is too dark, pick a stereo cab block and load both of them and pan them to zero. It will mix the cabs nicely.

Just to add another factor in all of this discussion: remember that all the IRs are not created equally, AND that what you are hearing represents a mic'd speaker cabinet.

I think Yek's guide is a good resource for finding an "authentic starting point", but be mindful that the mic(s), mic positioning and capture method (including potential post EQ) can and do have an impact on the end result.

I do wish that we had a way to choose the matched IR for each amp model so we could hear it "as designed", even if that is not the "best" for our personal taste...

you're so confrontational. it's really off-putting to new forum members.

Back
Top Bottom