Amp and cab combinations

Tonto83

What's some of your favourite amp and cab combinations? Thought it'd be a good idea to check what users have found work best.
Keeping things authentic seem to work best for me, with volume rolled back. Really liking the Cameron models also

My favorite cab for all things Marshally is Fractal's own Mad Oak Basketweave that can only be found on Axe Change. Why it's not included in the factory IR's is a real head scratcher.

A recent one I've really been digging I'd the triaxis yellow channel into a marshall with g12-evh speakers. The specific IR is from the ownhammer heavy hitters volume 1 pack. Sounds absolutely killer!

Last edited:
I tried that Mad Oak cab. It’s pretty dark compared to what I’ve been using. But it does sound good. I’ve been using mostly Leon Todd’s TV mix 7 which is brighter. Both are nice IRs. Later on tonight I’ll make a copy of my best Marshall preset and adjust it for the Mad Oak IR.

I tried that Mad Oak cab. It’s pretty dark compared to what I’ve been using. But it does sound good. I’ve been using mostly Leon Todd’s TV mix 7 which is brighter. Both are nice IRs. Later on tonight I’ll make a copy of my best Marshall preset and adjust it for the Mad Oak IR.
I play through headphones, so that it's darker sounding IR is probably why I like it so much

Tons of mojo when you combine Dweezil’s amp with his father’s cabs (IR’s).

(off course I’ve been a Zappa disciple for decades, so naturally I’m biased as @#€&).

Which cabs are Franks? I was listening to the Shut up and Play Your Guitar record yesterday while walking my dogs. Treacherous Cretins.

Reactions: arw
Using the Leon Todd method of picking cabs definitely speeds things up. Add a looper, play a phrase, play back the phrase from the looper and go to the cab block. Type in a cab number, look away from the screen and arrow up thru your cab library. Don’t look, listen. If what you land on that you like is a pignose 1x8, so be it.

My 2 go to amps are the Wrecker Express Bright and the Plexi 50 Watt High 1. I run everything in stereo thru the cab block. So that means that with 4 available IR slots, I get 2 pair of IR's split hard left and right. I have a few combinations of cabs that I have been using. F2 521 and 545 are Brit 70's Greenbacks (Cliff's suggestions from an old post). F2 642 and 651 are a good sounding pair of Citrus IR's. My main Marshall cab sound now is from the ML Sound Labs Mars PR bundle, Ml-MARS-PR-H55-58-B paired with ML-MARS-PR-H55-121-C. I am playing a PRS thru Yamaha NS-10M speakers. Almost all the factory presets sound too bassy to me and substituting these IR's make them sound right to me. I am not too familiar with Mesa or Vox or Fender and am really interested to read some IR suggestions from others for these amps.

Since downloading the Mad Oak Basketweave I’m blending it with the LT TV mix7. Since the LT is bright and the Mad Oak is dark they work well together. Pretty happy with it so far.

Still have to install some of Franks IRs. I’ve accumulated a lot of freebie IRs and they’re taking up space. Plus a paid pack.

What do you guys do with a new pack of IRs? I saw an audition tab on Cab Lite. Haven’t tried it yet. Or do you install blocks of them and audition on the unit? I’m on the FM3 until I get the 9.

Back
Top Bottom