Am I setting my gate wrong?

ConnorGilks

Experienced
Hey guys. I use the AxeFX II with my metal band and when we rehearse I'm getting some gnarly feedback when I stop playing or when I'm palm muting. What am I doing wrong? I've got the threshold and ratio set just past noon and still get some pretty loud feedback when I palm mute or even just stop playing for a second. It kicks in fairly quickly (I have the attack set quite fast) and it still feeds back. I feel like I could just set it higher, but I feel like it shouldn't be feeding back like this when my gain is actually quite low. I'm standing behind my cab and to the side of it, so my position shouldn't be an issue, and I'm using low gain settings, or at least low gain for metal.

Thoughts?

whenever I'm having serious feedback issues with a patch, I go and turn the MASTER VOL in the amp down and it usually clears up....I've found that I dont need the Master wayyy up..if you lose patch volume you can make it back up in the output volume.

In my gate, my threshold and ratio are never as high as 'noon'..more like '10' and thats cranking loud volumes at rehearsal too...but I'm not doin metal, but I still use fairly high gain sounds..so YMMV.

also, if you use a drive block in front of the amp, i'd think about backing down the Drive parameter... if possible. Good luck!

Yeah I've tried that in a rehearsal situation.
I also played in a metal band and my guitar acted just the same as you are describing.
I think it might be the pickups. They might not be properly waxed, very often found in cheap guitars/pickups. The Copper wire inside the pickups are vibrating, causing the nasty feedback like sound.
A way to solve it is to re-wax the pickups or get better pickups.
I solved my issue when I was buying a new guitar which had properly waxed pickups.
You can also try to turn the general audio level down of your rehearsal gear, too loud can be bad and confusing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. Unfortunately, all of the things you guys have suggested should already be taken care of. We only play as loud as we need to to keep up with our drummer playing at medium strength, the master volume in the amp block is at like 2-2.5, the drive block in front of the amp is on the lowest gain setting, my pickups are high quality Bareknuckle Cold Sweat pickups, the wiring is fine... I don't know what to do! Any other ideas?

Instrument input level is at 17%, and that's "tickling the red" as it should be. I'm using medium output pickups at the hright recommended by the manufacturer, nothing boosting the signal before the AxeFX.

Then your wiring is bad. Ground is off or something. Or you are plugging into a dirty power source.

Checked the wiring over thrice, had my tech check it, all is well. It's only when I'm cranked up at practice, and my other guitar player doesn't have this issue plugged into the same outlet, or a different one in the room. When I'm not playing at that volume it's fine, and I can have the gate set very low and it works great.

Do you have bright switches, and the gain boost engaged when you are playing at band volume with these presets? Might also be the case. Check your input trim as well... Basically anything that boosts gain. Honestly, you don't need any of it, unless you're trying to play metal on a Twin reverb haha :p

try plugging into your other guitar players rig and see if you get the same thing... if so, its your guitar. Other things to check... any neon or flourescant lights nearby? Do you have a tube amp/power amp in the chain? if so check to see if the tubes are microphonic. Any mics in close proximity?

Tried it, the guitar is fine. No flourescent lighting, power amp is solid state, there is a mic on the other side of the room but I have the same issue even when our singer isn't here and all his stuff is turned off/gone.

hmm.. does it happen across presets or just one? maybe try to build a simple preset with just an amp at default settings and see if you still get the feedback. Also, where is you AXE output knob set to? and your power amp level?

Across presets, as I found out today. Not just ones I've made, even the Periphery and Faceless patches.

Power amp is a Rocktron Velocity 300 with volume and definition at noon, and resonance just below noon. AxeFX II Output is set at noon as well.

Last edited:
If it's not your amp, then it is the Fractal. I would try another amp to be sure. Besides you probably want something flatter than the Rocktron.

I'm starting to wonder if it's my power amp, as it is in bad shape. Only channel 2 works and it's been pretty beat up by the previous owner, one side is bent so you can't mount it to a rack. Could be the issue?

let's rewind a bit and revisit what causes feedback. when the source "hears" itself, feedback is produced. that means the guitar pickups are "hearing" the sound from the speaker and feedback is happening.

i can only assume we're talking about the same type of feedback though. sometimes people describe plain "noise" as feedback only because it pops up when the gate is open. can you describe the feedback a bit? is it a squeal? is it musical at all or just noise? high or low pitch?

i'm concerned that you're at "low gain" settings and it's still feeding back, but i can make a pure clean tone feedback with the right amount of volume and guitar positioning. "loud" is a relative term and it might just be loud enough for your guitar to start a feedback loop.

any way you can record what it sounds like, even with a cell phone or something? are you only using the Input gate (found in the Layout menu) or have you placed gate blocks in the preset?

try this: in a preset that has the feedback, turn your guitar volume all the way down, then turn the gate all the way off (turn the threshold setting fully counter clockwise, i think it goes to -80dB). stand where you perform, then slowly turn up your guitar volume knob. remember, there's no gate so it should start to feed back pretty early. does the non-gated feedback sound the same as before? anything different? how much did you have to turn up the guitar to get it to feedback?

generally speaking, unwanted feedback with distortion just means there is too much gain and/or volume and the guitar is too close to the speakers for those settings. it's physics, there's really not much more to do than to turn down the gain or volume. the technique of muting the guitar can always get better, but volume is volume.

unless that amp is actually amplifying certain frequency notches or adding more gain/power amp distortion to the signal, i doubt it's the amp causing the feedback.

lemme know.

Tried it, the guitar is fine. No flourescent lighting, power amp is solid state, there is a mic on the other side of the room but I have the same issue even when our singer isn't here and all his stuff is turned off/gone.

I think the Axe II is sensitive for feedback somehow. I too have some feedback trouble on different guitars that normally don't cause any feedback issues on other amps. I am using Matrix GTX1000.
I don't play high gain and don't use abnormal settings for gate compression or drive nor do I play on really high volumes. I keep following this topic for solutions.

Back
Top Bottom