am i not hearing right? not impressed with redwire evm12

AndrewSimon said:
redwire said:
AndrewSimon said:
If you could get your hands on a closed back, ported, 1x12 Dumble cab, loaded with EVM12.....

I could, but I'd have to charge at least $1000 for the IRs ;) Just kidding.

You are in New-York.... do any of these rental places have one?

:?:

I know there's at least one that has Dumble amps. I was told you have to put a $30,000 deposit down on your credit card and then pray you don't drop it down the stairs. No joke. Don't know about the cabinets, though. I'll look into it.

I could, but I'd have to charge at least $1000 for the IRs ;) Just kidding.[/quote]

You are in New-York.... do any of these rental places have one?

:?:[/quote]

I know there's at least one that has Dumble amps. I was told you have to put a $30,000 deposit down on your credit card and then pray you don't drop it down the stairs. No joke. Don't know about the cabinets, though. I'll look into it.[/quote]
Mike a dumble cab would be very cool! I also think a mark ii might do the job if you cant get your hands on a dumble

redwire said:
I know there's at least one that has Dumble amps. I was told you have to put a $30,000 deposit down on your credit card and then pray you don't drop it down the stairs. No joke. Don't know about the cabinets, though. I'll look into it.

As a backup idea:
I heard these guys make an accurate spec Dumble cab:
http://www.bludotone.com/perfect59.htm

It's the second one on the list.
Maybe you can just rent it somewhere.
Maybe Scott Peterson can hook you up with one. (many TGP members have that cab, I think Scott Lerner has one... he's in New Jersey)

Calling on ScottPeterson?

AndrewSimon said:
redwire said:

As a backup idea:
I heard these guys make an accurate spec Dumble cab:
http://www.bludotone.com/perfect59.htm

It's the second one on the list.
Maybe you can just rent it somewhere.
Maybe Scott Peterson can hook you up with one. (many TGP members have that cab, I think Scott Lerner has one... he's in New Jersey)

Calling on ScottPeterson?

I've no Dumble, nor any thing remotely Dumble like. I played a Dumble, once, at Randy Volin's shop in Michigan - Rockin' Daddy's back in the day.

Not a Dumble guy, not my bag.

joegold said:
The stock EV cab sim in the Axe sounds nothing like my own EVs. Much less top end and way more bottom end.
I have not yet heard the RW EV IRs.
When I first got Logic Studio I used its IR Utility to make a couple of IRs of my EVM 12L in an open back Pearce cabinet.
I haven't used them much since then but as I recall they sounded pretty close to what I'm used to.
These are the 1st IRs I've ever done and I have very little experience in this area.
Both IRs are close mic'd and close to the cap.
They're attached to this post.
Let me know what you think.

So, I see that my IRs have been downloaded by about 20 people.
Any comments?
Are they working out for you?
Do they suck?

BTW
The mic used was an SM57.

joegold said:
joegold said:
The stock EV cab sim in the Axe sounds nothing like my own EVs. Much less top end and way more bottom end.
I have not yet heard the RW EV IRs.
When I first got Logic Studio I used its IR Utility to make a couple of IRs of my EVM 12L in an open back Pearce cabinet.
I haven't used them much since then but as I recall they sounded pretty close to what I'm used to.
These are the 1st IRs I've ever done and I have very little experience in this area.
Both IRs are close mic'd and close to the cap.
They're attached to this post.
Let me know what you think.

So, I see that my IRs have been downloaded by about 20 people.
Any comments?
Are they working out for you?
Do they suck?

BTW
The mic used was an SM57.

I missed these, I will download them tonight and give them a spin.

Thanks
;)

EVM-12LMC1.syx [8.01 KiB]
Downloaded 25 times

EVM-12LC.syx [8.01 KiB]
Downloaded 24 times

OK I gave them a listen.

They are both on the bright side.
EVM-12LC is too nasaly for my taste.
The EVM-12LMC1 is much better, it cuts in any mix pretty well.
Not what I was looking for (fat tone for Dumble style amps) but it will be used in
other setups.

Thanks

:)

AndrewSimon said:
EVM-12LMC1.syx [8.01 KiB]
Downloaded 25 times

EVM-12LC.syx [8.01 KiB]
Downloaded 24 times

OK I gave them a listen.

They are both on the bright side.
EVM-12LC is too nasaly for my taste.
The EVM-12LMC1 is much better, it cuts in any mix pretty well.
Not what I was looking for (fat tone for Dumble style amps) but it will be used in
other setups.

Thanks

:)

Thanks for the feedback.
I hope you get some use out of the one you like.

FWIW
The stock EVM12L cab sim is way too dark IMO, compared to what I'm used to when using real EVM-12Ls. So I was looking for a brighter IR.

Are you used to 12Ls in open back cabs?

Re: am i not hearing right? not impressed with redwire evm1

OK. This is an old thread.
But I've had some more time to mess with the Red Wirez EVM-12L IRs through a rented QSC K10 and I've also had time to try some of the other Red Wirez IRs through the same system.

And I gotta say that although these 12L IRS are much more 12L sounding to me than the Axe's stock E12L IR (of course it was taken from a Thiele cab and I'm used to open-back cabs) they still don't sound like any 12L I've ever played through.
Obviously I haven't tried all of the RW 12L IRs but I have tried a great many of them.
Even the close mic'd ones don't seem to have any where near the sibilance of a real 12L. When I open the RW 12L IRs in Albert's IR Converter I don't see anything like the 3.5k bump that I see in the published specs from EV and which is the hallmark IMO of the tone of these speakers.
http://homepage.mac.com/josephgoldstein/12LFreqResp.pdf
I can try to add the bump with a PEQ after the Cab Block which helps but doesn't really nail it.

I don't really know what to attribute this to. I've also purchased the BigBox D120, C12N and JC120 IRs and they all seem much more like the originals to me than the 12L IRs do. So RW obviously knows how to capture a good IR of a cabinet.
• Maybe it's the mahogany cabinet used for the SpeakerBox series?
Just a guess but, I think that if they put 2 12Ls in the Fender Twin cabinet used for the BigBox series and took the IRs off of that that it might sound better than the mahogany open back cab used for the SpeakerBox series. An open back cab made of birch (or pine?) would be preferable IMO.
• Maybe it's something they didn't notice in the process used?
• EV also used to make a speaker called the EVM-12S which looked a lot like the 12L but had a way different freq resp, somewhat like what these IRs sound like to me. Maybe they used a 12S instead of a 12L?

FWIW
So far, far the things I tend to play, of the RW IRs I currently own, the C12Ns sound the most musical.
I'm kinda sorry that I bought the JC120s and the D120s because although they seem pretty accurate (if memory serves) I probably will never use them for anything.

Guess they don't make them like they used to. The one we did was one of the newer "Classics".

Out of curiosity, are you using headphones to evaluate these, or running them through a cab? If anything I've heard that the newer ones are supposed to be brighter.

We have some older Black Shadows. I have to check the dates and check them out.

redwire said:
Guess they don't make them like they used to. The one we did was one of the newer "Classics".

Do you really think that's it?
I'm not so sure.
I suspect that it's mahogany cabinet or something unnoticed in the signal chain across *all* the 12L IRs.

redwire said:
Out of curiosity, are you using headphones to evaluate these, or running them through a cab? If anything I've heard that the newer ones are supposed to be brighter.

I've got a QSC K10 and a Yorkville E10p that I'm renting and that's how I'm listening to the IRs.I don't use headphones.

I own three EVM-12Ls.
One is marked "Series II".
One is from a Mesa Simul-Satellite I bought in 1993 and has Mesa's Black Shadow markings on it.
The last one I bought used on eBay recently. It has some black lettering on the aluminum back plate and that is all. Don't know the vintage.
All 3 sound identical.

redwire said:
We have some older Black Shadows. I have to check the dates and check them out.

I've got two new EVM 12L Classics in a cab I am using in my Axe rig.
The EVM IR's dont sound like my real EV speakers (my new Classics sound great).
The high end doesn't sound similar, the IR's are noticably less musical
than the real thing.

This is the first IR package I've been disappointed with.
That said, I think all of the new Basketweave IR's just kill!
Love all of them. Amazingly accurate IR's, which in IMHO
blow away the stock Marshall cab IR's in the Axe.

I have no idea about accuracy, but I bought the EV IR's, really disliked them, never used them again.

Didn't sound like trying a number of different mic captures was going to make me change my mind, so I only tried my usual "go-to's".

I really like the other IR's I've tried, e.g. Speakerbox Celestion Blue, Tweed Deluxe P12R, G12H30, C12N.

Back
Top Bottom