Am I making the right move?

ocelot911

Axe Fx II owner here have + power conditioner + liquid foot controller.

I mainly play at church, do recording & play overseas at times & make beats.

I decided atm to sell everything get an AX8 then maybe a strymon bigsky or verb pedal put in the fx loop (save CPU) to have a nice quick easy setup.

I never used the usb audio to record i just go direct into the my audio interface.

I like keeping things simple but I think best time to sell axe fx II is now & get the AX8.

My main concern is that I love ambient effects I was thinking as a resoultion to the verb cpu usage is too just stick one in the fx loop?

Regards,

Dan

You will be running more cables on the floor and losing some flexibility vs less to carry! Get the AX8 before you sell the AxFx then decide.

I feel like the AX8 will serve right until the next version comes out or when the axe fx XL+ becomes cheaper. I think its the best market to sell my axe fx II atm in aus as there is not alternative unless u spend 4k on the axe fx xl+.

Like if i just have to carry one board i'd be happy than have a complex rack.

Only concern is ambient effects but having a strymon bigsky + ax8 should be a killer combo ey?

AX8 can definitely get ambient. If you want dedicated ambient presets, or presets that do a few things and one of those things is massive ambient trails, that's totally doable.

If you want a kitchen sink preset that has a full chain of effect blocks and can also get really big and ambient, that's where you'd consider adding the Blue Sky.

I'll see if I can post some samples tomorrow.

I sold my AxeII/Liquid Foot+ JR+ shortly after getting the AX8. Other than FW release envy, I have no regrets.

I'm so much happier with the simple setup of the AX8 and I have not run into anything that I can't do (for what I want to do) with the CPU limits. I do some ambient stuff, but I have never been into stacking multiple delays and huge reverb washes. The Multi-Delay covers a lot of ground for me when it come to that stuff.

Dont forget the AX8 wait list is going to take a while... Why not take the Amplifire\Helix for a spin while you wait?

I had a timeline and a big sky on my old rig. I feel I don't need them at all with the AX8. Plenty of wash on hand if needed but wait until you get it to decide.

Sounds good :)

Would the AX8 be able to control the strymon pedal through midi?

AX8 can definitely get ambient. If you want dedicated ambient presets, or presets that do a few things and one of those things is massive ambient trails, that's totally doable.

If you want a kitchen sink preset that has a full chain of effect blocks and can also get really big and ambient, that's where you'd consider adding the Blue Sky.

I'll see if I can post some samples tomorrow.

Axe Fx II owner here have + power conditioner + liquid foot controller.

I mainly play at church, do recording & play overseas at times & make beats.

I decided atm to sell everything get an AX8 then maybe a strymon bigsky or verb pedal put in the fx loop (save CPU) to have a nice quick easy setup.

I never used the usb audio to record i just go direct into the my audio interface.

I like keeping things simple but I think best time to sell axe fx II is now & get the AX8.

My main concern is that I love ambient effects I was thinking as a resoultion to the verb cpu usage is too just stick one in the fx loop?

Regards,

Dan

If you don't mind carrying the system you have around, and programming the liquid foot, you will not gain anything with the AX8.

If you want a more portable rig, with easier programmed footswitches, and are ok with presets that have about 1/2 the complexity of your Axe II presets - then get the AX8

Yeah my presets for the axe fx II was essentially,
comp-->drive(if needed) --->delay-->amp--->cab--> Verb
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-->multi-->filter-->verb

I mainly just used scenes, 1/4 delay, .8 delay, Pad sound.

Thats it really

I have ambient presets in the AX8 that use two delays, a multi-delay, reverb, compressor, wah, phaser, amp & cab and filter - so a lot is possible. You make have to break an Axe II preset into two presets on the AX8 if they are more complex than that.

Yeah my presets for the axe fx II was essentially,
comp-->drive(if needed) --->delay-->amp--->cab--> Verb
-->multi-->filter-->verb

You can probably get that on the AX8 but with only one normal quality verb - and maybe add a second delay

I have ambient presets in the AX8 that use two delays, a multi-delay, reverb, compressor, wah, phaser, amp & cab and filter - so a lot is possible. You make have to break an Axe II preset into two presets on the AX8 if they are more complex than that.

With the Verb i guess since your limited to one you could program the scene to just change the decay value right? Not to mention the X/Y settings

With the Verb i guess since your limited to one you could program the scene to just change the decay value right? Not to mention the X/Y settings

X/Y plus scene controllers, could give a lot of variations in one preset.

I've noticed drives are the 2nd biggest cpu intensive block, so I usually have a higher gain amp on Y and prefer that sound personally. (instead of drive)

Back
Top Bottom