Am I hurting my Axe Fx by doing this?

zentman

Experienced
I fixed my volume problem by hooking up the balanced outs of the Axe with an XLR cable that goes to a stereo 1/4 inch.

I am plugging that into the pre amp send/power amp return of a Peavey amp. The power amp return is getting the signal from the Axe just fine but is the Peavey sending anything from the pre amp out to the Axe that might harm it? I have all pre-amp knobs at zero on the Peavey and nothing is plugged into the amp so it should be sending nothing , right?

if you are hooked to the return of the amp, nothing goes to the AFX; it would be the case if you would plug the send of the amp to the AFX; and even if you do this, the worse that can happen is to overload the inputs of the AFX, getting a nasty distortion, but no one dies (except your ears, maybe ;)

In most cases, there is no value in using the "send" if all you want to do is the the Peavey as poweramp. Just go from the guitar to axefx, and axefx to 'return' on peavey. This is done all the time. Should work fine.

As for running XLR to 1/4 inch, that is not going to cause any harm. As a side note, you should be aware that I don't think there is any reason that the normal 1/4 jacks would not be sending a hot enough signal.

I have been told by this forum that the balanced out are putting 6db more than the 1/4 inch outs.

The Peavey amp power amp in and pre amp out are one jack utilizing tip/ring/sleeve. It is sending pre amp output info to the same cable that the power amp in is plugged in to. That's why my query.

Basically, the pre amp is sending info to the output of the axe.

zentman said:
I fixed my volume problem by hooking up the balanced outs of the Axe with an XLR cable that goes to a stereo 1/4 inch.

I am plugging that into the pre amp send/power amp return of a Peavey amp.
Two problems:

1. You're using only half the signal from the balanced out from the Axe-Fx. IOW, you're gaining nothing by using the balanced output.

2. The preamp output of the Peavey is being applied to the other side of the Axe-Fx balanced out. This is never a good idea. It may not cause damage to the Axe-Fx output buffer stage, but there's no guarantee.

at a minimum you should cut or unsolder the lead that provides the send from the peavey. That way you won't have to worry about somehow accidently getting knobs turned somewhere and damaging the Axefx output.

steveb said:
at a minimum you should cut or unsolder the lead that provides the send from the peavey. That way you won't have to worry about somehow accidently getting knobs turned somewhere and damaging the Axefx output.

Good idea. I was just using the quarter inch out and plugging it in to the first click on the Peavey but it is much louder with the XLR cable into the return. It also gets louder when I plug it all the way in as opposed to the XLR to just the first click of the Peavey.

Back
Top Bottom