Always. Follow. Your. Ears.

iaresee

Administrator
Seriously. I'm going to get it tattooed, backwards, on my forehead because I forget it far too often.

So if you follow my love of Trey and his rig, you'll know I kind of tweak and twiddle and fiddle about a lot trying to get his tones nailed. I've always struggled with the drive pedals. The Analogman-modded TS9s he uses are wholly unlike any normal TS9. No hump. Very tube-y.

I've gone way down the rabbit hole in the past trying to make the TS808 and TS808MOD models work. I'll get settled on something, take it out live, and I'm just never quite happy with it.

Well, today I went off script. I followed my ears. I sat down and rolled through the drive models and kept at it until I hit a sound I thought was close. And what did I land on?

Ye olde 3-knob Tube Driver!

Duh.

He's TS9s sound tube-y. I like the Tube Driver model.

Double duh.

I've been playing with these configurations this afternoon and loving how it's sounding. It's compressing a little nicer than the TS808 model was. And it's a little smoother in the top end. Also, I'm not tweaking EQ in the block to fight the hump.

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 3.56.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 3.56.12 PM.png

Yea, follow your ears, Ian. Always follow your ears.

Last edited:
Check out the Zendrive while you're straying away from traditional TS9 ODs. I don't like a nasally drive pedal; I'm a big fan of the Chandler OD, but also really love the Zendrive and go back and forth between the two a lot.

Check out the Zendrive while you're straying away from traditional TS9 ODs. I don't like a nasally drive pedal; I'm a big fan of the Chandler OD, but also really love the Zendrive and go back and forth between the two a lot.
The Zen Drive is nice but it does this phasey-swirl thing when you hold >1 note that's not quite right for what I'm after here.

3-knob tube is what I use the most because I know I like it, and I've been trying lately to explore some alternatives more. But it's a good one. I mostly fiddle with the high and low cutoff frequencies and drive+level to get the feel I want, and very rarely add or cut from the BMT knobs.

3-knob tube is what I use the most because I know I like it, and I've been trying lately to explore some alternatives more. But it's a good one. I mostly fiddle with the high and low cutoff frequencies and drive+level to get the feel I want, and very rarely add or cut from the BMT knobs.
The 4-knob gets a little fuzz facey when you jack the gain up. I like it.

Yeah, there's a nasal mid hump on the TS that works well with *some* amps, not to my ear with others. I like the Zen a bit better.

I'll have to come back to the Tube Driver...last time I used it it was so noisy that I abandoned (just like the real one!) I liked the tube-sizzly tone I got out of it, but damn it was noisy.

Yeah, there's a nasal mid hump on the TS that works well with *some* amps, not to my ear with others. I like the Zen a bit better.

I'll have to come back to the Tube Driver...last time I used it it was so noisy that I abandoned (just like the real one!) I liked the tube-sizzly tone I got out of it, but damn it was noisy.
Yeah... I can't get past that. Both variants have too much noise for me...:(

Back
Top Bottom