Aluminum Mounting Plate Thickness for AX8 Rig.. ?

WERNER1

Inspired
Hey guys!

Finally pulled the trigger on an AX8! YAY :D

I also have a Mission Eng. SP-1 coming and an SKB case that will fit both of those together side by side...

So,.. here's the question.. I'm thinking of buying an Aluminum plate that is 12"x24" x either 3/16" or 1/4" thickness to mount the AX8 and SP-1 to. Since I don't have access to the Alum. plate I'm not sure if 3/6" will be rigid enough or if I should go with the 1/4" just to be safe (?)

My end plan is to mount some small rubber or silicone feet to lower back/bottom of the Alum. plate to keep it from moving around and produce a small amount of "Tilt forward" angle to the whole "Pedal board" - I'll remove the AX8 feet and the ones from the SP1 if it has any and mount them directly to the plate. If there's room I might try and mount a small lift handle on each side of the plate for ease of lifting it out of the SKB Case ....

Whatcha all think of that plan?

I know the 24" width and 12" depth will have to be cut down to fit the SKB Case.. Here's the case I'll use:

https://www.skbcases.com/music/prod...=sku_type-soft-75&id=589&o=&offset=&c=75&s=75

Thanks,
Rick

Hey guys!

Finally pulled the trigger on an AX8! YAY :D

I also have a Mission Eng. SP-1 coming and an SKB case that will fit both of those together side by side...

So,.. here's the question.. I'm thinking of buying an Aluminum plate that is 12"x24" x either 3/16" or 1/4" thickness to mount the AX8 and SP-1 to. Since I don't have access to the Alum. plate I'm not sure if 3/6" will be rigid enough or if I should go with the 1/4" just to be safe (?)

My end plan is to mount some small rubber or silicone feet to lower back/bottom of the Alum. plate to keep it from moving around and produce a small amount of "Tilt forward" angle to the whole "Pedal board" - I'll remove the AX8 feet and the ones from the SP1 if it has any and mount them directly to the plate. If there's room I might try and mount a small lift handle on each side of the plate for ease of lifting it out of the SKB Case ....

Whatcha all think of that plan?

I know the 24" width and 12" depth will have to be cut down to fit the SKB Case.. Here's the case I'll use:

https://www.skbcases.com/music/prod...=sku_type-soft-75&id=589&o=&offset=&c=75&s=75

Thanks,
Rick

I have done something similar in the past with my MFC. I used 1/2" birch plywood painted black and it worked great. I think 3/16" aluminum should be plenty stiff and strong.

I think. It will be heavy as Hell.
I use a 5 mm acrylic plate. It is plenty sturdy. I would definitely not go above 3/16"

Just short of six pounds, I believe. That's more than I would like.

Edit: that was 1/4", and I may have rounded up, so it is probably more like a little more than 4lbs

Last edited:
Looks like a 24x12 x 3/16 is around 3.8 lbs, but I'll be trimming off some to size,.. so probably a little over 3 lbs... I can live with that..

Anyway - I think, it will have plenty of strength. I think, you could get away with much less thickness (maybe even 1/16"). Then you might need to have wedges for your angle underneath, and they might need to be 3/16.

Are you sure, you really want an angle? The AX8 is already sort of angled, and I never liked the feel of an angled expression pedal.

I must be a gorilla because there's no way I wouldn't bend 3/16 ally if I was stomping on it!
Thanks
Pauly

I just picked up a Gator G-Tour case.

http://www.gatorcases.com/p/16108-1993/g-tour-pedalboard-lgw

Large TOUR Grade Pedalboard for 10-14 Pedals with 3M "Dual Lock" Pedal Fastener. Removable 24"x11" board surface & inline wheels

• Pro Grade Shock Absorbing EVA Foam Interior
• Pedalboard Surface 24"x11"
• Plywood Fabricated with Aluminum Valance
• 3M Dual Lock Fastener for Pedal Installation
• Heavy-Duty Gator Signature Hardware
• Cable Storage Included in Lower Portion of Case

Compared to my old Stagg, this is way more robust. I also love the removable pedal board.

Large TOUR Grade Pedalboard for 10-14 Pedals with 3M "Dual Lock" Pedal Fastener. Removable 24"x11" board surface & inline wheels

Compared to my old Stagg, this is way more robust. I also love the removable pedal board.

You have any pics of your AX8 rig setup on that board? I'm curious about this setup as well.....

You have any pics of your AX8 rig setup on that board? I'm curious about this setup as well.....

At the moment, no. Sorry....

I set it up at my rehearsal studio and left it there only returning this weekend.
At the moment, I only have the AX8 and EV-1 mounted. To put a second expression pedal would be tight especially for a guy with big feet like me. Will post by next week.

I ordered the plate Friday,.. should be here Wed.

I've been using the same SKB Semi-soft shell case for my GT-100 for about 3 years now,... works perfect, just use the shoulder strap,.. grab it and my guitar and I'm good to go. :)

Hi there,I'm interested in buying one of these for my ax8 and ev1, however it say it's 11" in width which is 280mm but the ev1 is 290mm plus an angled TRS cable on the top adding to its length, I'm just wondering is it possible to fit this on like I've mentioned or is the board bigger than they say, tusks for any help you can give. Cheers

Hi there,I'm interested in buying one of these for my ax8 and ev1, however it say it's 11" in width which is 280mm but the ev1 is 290mm plus an angled TRS cable on the top adding to its length, I'm just wondering is it possible to fit this on like I've mentioned or is the board bigger than they say, tusks for any help you can give. Cheers

I left my AX8 rig at my rehearsal place so I can't provide exact dimensions but I can say I have an AX8 and EV-1 on that board and they fit perfectly in the case. Maybe they don't take into account the aluminum trim that runs the perimeter of that removable board? The jacks do stick out when plugged in however but that is quick with 2 XLRs and 2 TRS cable and power.

I left my AX8 rig at my rehearsal place so I can't provide exact dimensions but I can say I have an AX8 and EV-1 on that board and they fit perfectly in the case. Maybe they don't take into account the aluminum trim that runs the perimeter of that removable board? The jacks do stick out when plugged in however but that is quick with 2 XLRs and 2 TRS cable and power.

That's great thanks for the reply Im torn between your case and the pelican 1555 I saw in another thread, both can take a ax8 plus ev1 and they have room underneath for cables and other small bits of need.

So my plate came in and I was able to cut it down to the needed size to fit into my SKB case. I finished all of the Edges and radiused the corners out. Then I was able to lay out the bolt pattern of the AX8 on to the plate and drill the holes accurately - I set it up so that the AX8 is in-set approx an 1/8" that way if it bumps around on something it would hit the plate and not the unit. I ended up order some special M3.5mm countersunk stainless screws from the UK that just arrived, so hopefully tonight I'll drill the bevels on the underside of the plate and mount the AX8!

I also picked up some 1/8" flat neoprene faucet washers to use as a spacer/insulator between the Ax8 and the plate. Plus my Mission SP-1 came in so I'm going to try and mount it as well...

Back
Top Bottom