Alto TS408 or 410

I would really like to start using my FM3 with the band. I cannot run it into our PA (long story) so I need the speakers to stand on their own. It’s a classic rock band tho’ we do some Motown, Blues, and a little modern Pop. Vocalist, Drummer, Bass, Keyboard, and me on Guitar.

I was going to spring for a Yamaha DXR10 but I see that Alto has released the TS4 series. I can’t really get two DXRs right now but I could get two TS408s or 410s…which would be cool.

Do Y’all think the 8s will hold their own in a band context or would the 10s be better? Have any of you tried the TS408s or 410s?

Just wondering what might be best…

I'm surprised you received no replies on a rather popular topic. Given that two months have passed I'm curious to know what your decision or outcome was.

Selfishly, I also wonder why you can't use the PA. One of the selling points of modelers is traveling light (for the guitarist). One of the selling points for the band and soundman is that the guitar can be mixed and controlled more effectively if it's part of the FOH/monitor mix.

I once had a work colleague who was a car buff. His frequent quote was 'there's no replacement for displacement.' He meant engines but I think it applies to speakers as well.

Although technology, design & manufacture mean that smaller speakers and enclosures can handle greater loads and stresses, the goal of amplification is the same: moving air. For that reason I have always been skeptical of promises of big things coming from small packages. Too often I hear laments of boxiness, honk, beaminess regarding smaller speakers/cabs.

All that said I would have gone for the 10s and possibly a stereo or at least a mono L-R 2-speaker setup onstage so you can mimic the PA setup.

For better or worse, this might necessitate a monitor for you...at that point an 8 in speaker might suffice.

I was just at a retailer and they now have the Alto 12s. About the size of a PA main (top).You might get away with a single one of those as a backline. One complaint I read about speaker power ratings is they advertise peak not RMS. But 2500W peak would still be well over 1000 RMS. Flamethrower!

Hello! This is my first post ever in the Fractal forum! I just got my FM3 and loving it to bits!

I run mine through a set of M-Audio BX8s and it sounds phenomenal! For gigs, I am planning on getting a pair of TS408s for these reasons:

1. Small and powerful enough to gig with
2. Affordable enough to have two since I want to play in stereo
3. You can change the EQ through a phone app where I can taylor the sound close enough to what I hear in my studio monitors. This way I don't need to apply a different EQ settings on the FM3 itself for the outputs that will be used by the TS408s. Once I dial in the EQ settings for the TS408s (EQ settings can be saved for various configurations - on the floor, on a pole etc) then just plug and play!

I will report back when I do get these speakers!

Back
Top Bottom