Alternative to variax

Interesting... The price seems reasonable enough that there should be people out there trying it. Hopefully some feedback will show up on the web somewhere.

- John

It's nothing like a variax. It appears to be a special switching system that brings extra resistors and caps in and out of the circuit attempting to emulate the sounds of other pickups. It will change the sound, but it won't really sound anything like different guitars. I've done mods like that on my own guitars at times with mixed results.

It will not do anything near what the Variax will do (particularly the new JTV). If you're curious about what you can accomplish with this kind of mod though, it's pretty simple to try on your own guitar. The more useful sounds are pretty easy to wire in yourself to try.

In the end, I went back to standard wiring and switching on almost all my guitars. I did keep the 4-way switch on my tele (extra position runs both pups in series) and the treble bleed and bridge tone wiring on my strat, but everything else went back to stock.

D

Agreed that it's not a Variax but certainly is an option which let's you use your existing guitar(s) with no permanent mods. I found a few reviews; all of which were favorable. As has been said, given that it's passive it can't be more than rewiring and filters.

Personaly, I'm hoping the new Variax models will be as good as the reviews indicate. If I knew which neck I'd like, I'd preorder one.

-John

dk_ace said:
In the end, I went back to standard wiring and switching on almost all my guitars.
+1, I used to do all sorts of custom wiring on my guitars, but in the end I always came back to the wiring tradition setups. Just not my thing I guess.

I still change out pickups though.

Back
Top Bottom