Alternative to Fuzz Face that doesn’t need to be first in chain?

giantslayer

Experienced
Lately, I’ve been digging the Fuzz Face on the Axe FX. I did tweak the bias down as I found it a little wooly on default. I want to stick a compressor in front of it, but doing so negates the impedance thing and the Fuzz Face just doesn’t sound good without that. Any ideas for non-fuzz pedal(s) to try for a similar tone?

Lately, I’ve been digging the Fuzz Face on the Axe FX. I did tweak the bias down as I found it a little wooly on default. I want to stick a compressor in front of it, but doing so negates the impedance thing and the Fuzz Face just doesn’t sound good without that. Any ideas for non-fuzz pedal(s) to try for a similar tone?
You can keep the impedance effect by moving any other blocks before it off the row w the Fuzz Face.
This diagram is gonna suck:
Yeah no, even with a monospace font it wasn't clear at all, I'll try describing it.

Move the compressor up or down a row, so there's an uniterupted straight path from the input to the fuzz, with the comp in a different row.
That removes the comp from the impedance calculation.
You can see how that works in the input block, it'll show the impedance the guitar will see.

Last edited:
fyi, I've discovered that other active input/output blocks (2,3,4) don't count as "1st inline active" wrt impacting whether or not an impedance change will occur for an inline FuzzFace (or other drive/block that triggers an auto input1 impedance change)

fyi, I've discovered that other active input/output blocks (2,3,4) don't count as "1st inline active" wrt impacting whether or not an impedance change will occur for an inline FuzzFace (or other drive/block that triggers an auto input1 impedance change)
That makes sense as they aren't effects blocks.

You can keep the impedance effect by moving any other blocks before it off the row w the Fuzz Face.
This diagram is gonna suck:
Yeah no, even with a monospace font it wasn't clear at all, I'll try describing it.

Move the compressor up or down a row, so there's an uniterupted straight path from the input to the fuzz, with the comp in a different row.
That removes the comp from the impedance calculation.
You can see how that works in the input block, it'll show the impedance the guitar will see.
Ooh, I’ll need to try that when I have time to mess around with my settings again. Thanks!

I was able to make that change quickly before practice this morning. Worked great! Added some nice sustain for a solo. Thanks, everyone!

Back
Top Bottom