Alternative FRFR systems: Dynacord AM-12 or Tannoy Power V12

Hi,
I keep reading the same names over and over again for FRFR systems for Axe-Fx, FBT Verve 12Ma or QSC K12. So I was wondering if other name brands are viable options, like the Dynacord AM-12 or the Tannoy Power V12?

Can anyone comment on these systems or other impressive alternatives?

thanks

Re: Alternative FRFR systems: Dynacord AM-12 or Tannoy Power

Joost Assink said:
Hi,
I keep reading the same names over and over again for FRFR systems for Axe-Fx, FBT Verve 12Ma or QSC K12. So I was wondering if other name brands are viable options, like the Dynacord AM-12 or the Tannoy Power V12?

thanks

i tried the tannoy powered V8 & can tell you it was a piece of shit w/the axe.
the FBT verve is simply the best solution in this area.

i own 2 8ma's & owned the 12ma & they are head & shoulders above any of the other similar systems.

larbear63 said:
Joost Assink said:
Hi,

thanks

i own 2 8ma's & owned the 12ma & they are head & shoulders above any of the other similar systems.

Too bad by the time they're available I'll be too old to actually hold a guitar. :(

iceman said:
Too bad by the time they're available I'll be too old to actually hold a guitar. :(

I'm with ya, man.... sigh.... :(

Played the Axe-Fx for almost two years with the RCF 310a,
6 month with the FBT Verve 12ma
and the last 5 month with the Tannoy Power V12.
For several days/weeks I played an active Atomic cab.

My focus is only on band rehearsal and gigs, not on recording.
I want excellent sounds with electric and acoustic guitars.

My experiences are ....

The RCF 310a sounds excellent with acoustic guitars but lacks a little bit in the low end with electric guitars.
The mids and highs with electrics are very pleasant.
It's a little very neutral box with good dynamics and a very smooth and detailled sound.

The FBT Verve 12ma with electric guitars has more bass and low end than the RCF, but the upper mids and highs are a little bit harsh.
It's not as neutral as the RCF, acoustic guitars sound not as good as with the RCF.

The Atomic sounds excellent with electric guitars but for me it's rather a guitar cab with a tweeter than FRFR.
Acoustics sounds dull even though I know some people like acoustics with Atomics.

The Tannoy Power V12 for me is the perfect FRFR speaker.
Extremly neutral and extremly dynamic.
You can't hear the box but only the sound you want to hear.
It's better than any of the boxes above in every aspect.
Electrics and acoustics sound amazing.
But it's pretty expensive compared to the competitors above.

The Tannoy Power V12 for me is the perfect FRFR speaker.
Extremly neutral and extremly dynamic.
You can't hear the box but only the sound you want to hear.
It's better than any of the boxes above in every aspect.
Electrics and acoustics sound amazing.
But it's pretty expensive compared to the competitors above.

Setzinger, are you still happy with the Power V12?

I need to step up to something better (e.g. flatter). I had thought about getting a Tannoy V12 (no amp) and pairing it with a Bryston 2B-LP Pro, but the all-in-one Power V12 looks really interesting. There are pros/cons to both approaches, but the simplicity of the Power V12 looks very appealing.

I had dismissed the Tannoy product as begin too expensive for me. I had been quoted $3300 CDN for the Power V12 a couple of years ago. Today I called and I can pick one up for around $1800 Cdn locally. The speaker-only V12 is $1200.

Terry.

I need to step up to something better (e.g. flatter). I had thought about getting a Tannoy V12 (no amp) and pairing it with a Bryston 2B-LP Pro, but the all-in-one Power V12 looks really interesting. There are pros/cons to both approaches, but the simplicity of the Power V12 looks very appealing..

LOL I wrestled with the same thing, but decided on the unpowered V12 so I'd have more options on the power amp side of things.

The V12 wants 400W into 8ohms, so I'm looking into a few amps in that power range.

Let us know if you get a V12...!!

LOL I wrestled with the same thing, but decided on the unpowered V12 so I'd have more options on the power amp side of things.

That's the path I had been going down, but I've done some re-thinking about the self-contained Power V12. Both solutions net out about the same for cost, assuming a used Bryston and a new Tannoy. Here are some thoughts on each. . . .

V12 / Bryston 2B-LP-Pro versus Tannoy Power V12

I assume the Bryston is a better power amp than the class D amp built into the Power V12. However, the internal Tannoy amp also comes with a processor and optimizations (i.e. eq corrections, etc.). You can add a Tannoy processor to the Bryston configuration, but that increases weight and adds cost. I'm not sure how to really call this, but I suspect the Power V12 may come out a bit ahead.

Weight is a concern for me. I'm 51 and my back's not great. Staying under 35lbs would be great, and 45 to 50 is starting to push it for me. Putting a Bryston (20lb), AxeFX (10lb) and low end Furman (6lb) into a 6U Gator rolling case comes to 54lbs total. That means I have to move a 54lb case and a 44lb speaker.

Going with a Power V12 means my rack has only the AxeFX and Furman. That comes to 26lb including rack. The Power V12 is 50 lbs. This option has less total weight, and the Power V12 is physically smaller and easier to handle than the 6U Gator rolling case.

Given the important of weight to me, the Power V12 looks like the way to go. However, if the Bryston / V12 combo sounded noticeably / substantially better, I might be persuaded to go a different direction.

Terry.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long time between your question and my answer.

Yes, I'm still very happy with my Tannoy Power V12.

Compared to all the other speakers I've heard with the Axe-Fx it is the first one which shows the full potential of the Axe-Fx.

I love it.

Back
Top Bottom