Alternate Options to Rehearsal Studios

Jipps0525

Power User
Kind of an odd question here but here it goes. Instead of going to a rehearsal studio by myself to rock out or practice, are there any places that offer some sort of isolated sound proof room so you can rock out loud? Even when I play with my FM9 and headphones, I’m always self conscious about people Getting annoyed by the sounds of the guitar itself. This negative feeling of course limits my ability to be intentional while I practice. And no, soundproofing or treating any rooms in my apartment is not an option. I just think it would be cool if you could go somewhere like your library, and sign up for a soundproof room for a couple hours. Or anywhere. Wouldn’t mind paying lol. Just big enough for you, a guitar, laptop/tablet and your fractal unit of choice.

I haven't looked for a long time, but I bet rehearsal studios have small single rooms available. Drummers, sax players, pianists, pretty much any non-electric musician who doesn't have their own soundproof loft needs that.

Are you near a university that has any sort of music focus? If so, I'm sure they have places like that, with and without pianos. It's not super likely non-students can rent them, but it's worth a shot.

Pardon my ignorance, but how load do you play the guitar with cans on your head? When I practice with cans, I can close the room where I'm in and the rest of the house doesn't care (i.e. hear me play).

To answer your question, what about local music shops that have the trial rooms, could you do something like that?

Pardon my ignorance, but how load do you play the guitar with cans on your head? When I practice with cans, I can close the room where I'm in and the rest of the house doesn't care (i.e. hear me play).

To answer your question, what about local music shops that have the trial rooms, could you do something like that?
Good idea about music stores. I don't know that they'd want you hogging their demo rooms, but they may have lesson rooms that aren't always occupied.

I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend and she’s pretty sensitive to the physical string noise and acoustic attack of me playing the electric guitar. Even if she’s in the other room. When I go to my folks house, I can play with them sleeping in the other room and they don’t care, but I have to admit the apartment has just made me self conscious about it and it’s hard to get past that now. I often like to put on a movie at night and just play while watching and sometimes this can go late into the night lol

I haven't looked for a long time, but I bet rehearsal studios have small single rooms available. Drummers, sax players, pianists, pretty much any non-electric musician who doesn't have their own soundproof loft needs that.

Are you near a university that has any sort of music focus? If so, I'm sure they have places like that, with and without pianos. It's not super likely non-students can rent them, but it's worth a shot.
Thanks I’ll look into these. I wonder if this could be a cool business idea as technology gets more and more into the digital world. Just like a store of isolated sound rooms for rentals. For people who don’t need the loud noise of a rehearsal studio but want the alone time and privacy. Idk could be cool. I only thought about this just recently because right outside the hospital unit I work on, there’s a “Quiet Box,” for people to make phone calls or just take a break from the noisy hospital settings. It’s basically like an isolated phone booth type thing

Have you tried a white noise generator, seriously? For example, I snore pretty badly and my better half has found that turning on a pedestal fan on medium or high covers up my noise and allows her to sleep. There could be some non-obvious solutions.

Hmmm… I’m questioning whether an alternative girlfriend might be an option? 😂
I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend and she’s pretty sensitive to the physical string noise and acoustic attack of me playing the electric guitar. Even if she’s in the other room. When I go to my folks house, I can play with them sleeping in the other room and they don’t care, but I have to admit the apartment has just made me self conscious about it and it’s hard to get past that now. I often like to put on a movie at night and just play while watching and sometimes this can go late into the night lol

Have you tried a white noise generator, seriously? For example, I snore pretty badly and my better half has found that turning on a pedestal fan on medium or high covers up my noise and allows her to sleep. There could be some non-obvious solutions.
Apparently even with the bedroom door closed and the window unit AC continuously on, it is not enough. I can’t imagine a white noise machine doing better lol

If the guitar is an important part of your life then your girlfriend needs to give you the space and time to play.

If she doesn't then how is depriving you of something that brings you joy an expression of love? Sounds more like control. My guess is that this isn't the only way she is controlling.

I live in an open house in the city, where I play with headphones.
2 floors apart from where she's sitting and still getting remarks even though she's wearing noise cancelling phones herself.

Told her to live with it as I cannot not play often but for the remainder she's very reasonable, loveable, understanding and helpfull :D.
But sometimes I go and play in the bedroom which has a door ;)

For loud playing I have a real nice setup in my mom's barn, but I get why some men get a storage room to have some me time.

I live in an open house in the city, where I play with headphones.
2 floors apart from where she's sitting and still getting remarks even though she's wearing noise cancelling phones herself.

Told her to live with it as I cannot not play often but for the remainder she's very reasonable, loveable, understanding and helpfull :D.
But sometimes I go and play in the bedroom which has a door ;)

For loud playing I have a real nice setup in my mom's barn, but I get why some men get a storage room to have some me time.
Wow, 2 floors and they still can’t take it?! I’m convinced it’s not the noise itself, but they just don’t like the hobby or us playing for whatever reason lol

My wife has seen me if I don’t play.

She encourages me as best as she knows how. I love that in her.

Got 2 new guitars recently for the first time in 7-8 years.

👍❤️🙏
I envy that! I get very antsy and anxious if I don’t play. Then I get very sad if I notice my skills start declining when I actually do play. I legit practiced every day before I moved in with her lol

I envy that! I get very antsy and anxious if I don’t play. Then I get very sad if I notice my skills start declining when I actually do play. I legit practiced every day before I moved in with her lol

Love allows each other to grow, while still being connected as a couple. It gets better as you make a family.

If you grow separately… I believe you may very well grow apart

[/drphil]

Does your apartment have an interior stairwell? Might be an option if it’s got a plug and not much traffic.

Kind of an odd question here but here it goes. Instead of going to a rehearsal studio by myself to rock out or practice, are there any places that offer some sort of isolated sound proof room so you can rock out loud? Even when I play with my FM9 and headphones, I’m always self conscious about people Getting annoyed by the sounds of the guitar itself. This negative feeling of course limits my ability to be intentional while I practice. And no, soundproofing or treating any rooms in my apartment is not an option. I just think it would be cool if you could go somewhere like your library, and sign up for a soundproof room for a couple hours. Or anywhere. Wouldn’t mind paying lol. Just big enough for you, a guitar, laptop/tablet and your fractal unit of choice.
Havent read the whole thread. If no one has complained about the unplugged guitar volume, chances are it is a non-issue and you may be overthinking things.

Schedule a time to be the only one home.

RIP.

Pouring Austin Powers GIF

Back
Top Bottom