Alter Bridge - Pawns and Kings

I'm enjoying it. It's a bit different for them, but very cool. I seriously doubt there are any Mesa amps on there :). Most likely all PRS and Diezel. Here's a good interview with Myles and Mark where they go through the tracks.

I'm enjoying it. It's a bit different for them, but very cool. I seriously doubt there are any Mesa amps on there :). Most likely all PRS and Diezel. Here's a good interview with Myles and Mark where they go through the tracks.

I know Mark has a signature PRS amp, but he has (at least live) played a Mesa for high gain and Fender for clean. I think some others too. All that said, turns out he used a Dumble (!) for the first time for this record. There are some heavy parts in Sin After Sin and another song (Fable of the Silent Son, maybe) that I thought were surely Mesa. Clearly, I’m wrong 😬 Whatever it is, sounds good!

I've been an Alter Bridge fan from the first album. The last album didn't get played much but I'm really digging this one.

It's very good. Can't say it's my favorite (Blackbird & ABIII are still hands down my favs). I also need to give it a few more listens though. Believe it or not, his last 2 discs with his solo band, to me, have been better than the last couple AB records. A Dying Machine was on heavy, heavy rotation for me for months. Marching in Time was almost as good.

A Dying Machine is the only Tremonti album I have. I need to check out Marching in Time.

BTW. When I say album I mean mp3. Although I do still purchase my music, I haven’t bought a physical album in over a decade. My 15 year old daughter does buy records and has grown quite the collection.

I'm enjoying Pawns and Kings a lot more then the last 2 records (Walk the Sky and The Last Hero). I think for Myles' amps, he moved over to the Diezel VH4 in more recent years, but he still goes back to the Herbert for some stuff.

In Sin After Sin, I am loving the chunky main riff. I'm having trouble articulating the palm muting attraction, but I guess it's a very clear and percussive sound to me. I'd love to dial that in on my FX3, and my first thought is to start wtih a Recto model but wondering what else might give it that distinct sound? I read that he used a baritone guitar tuned to C#, which I'm sure contributes as well as using his new PRS MT100 prototype to record. Any thoughts? Thanks.
The riff is played throughout the song, but I think you can get the clearest sound at the 4:54 mark.

Back
Top Bottom