allan holdsworth tone

Fark! :shock:
THAT is what I've been after since I got the axe. Dead on.
Can you post the patch, man?
Also, what guitar/pickup configuration were you using?

Thanx guys. There is a patch Holdsworth Lead in AXE-CHANGE - i just disable drv, enable peq, and connect delays with mixer, so i can adjust wet/dry settings to particular backing track. Unfortunately i cant dump preset now because my midi works only IN axe and not OUT :(... The main things of AH sound i think - equalization (remove high and low) and 8 chanel delay(far and near reverb)
Im using suhr classic with bridge pickup. The tone comes particualary from hands and mind - you need relax and play smooth and not hard :cool:. But there is a special picking technics that i borrowed from Allen Hinds (check his dvds) - you need pick almost vertically near guitar bridge - the tone becomes smooth... Hope this helps...

superb. i've been looking for this tone as well.

if you can't upload the patch, could you at least say which amp / cab models you're using and the eq settings?

i've been using the MKII C+ model with some success, but i can't seem to get enough sustain with the tone i'm after

sim

EDIT - just worked out how to use the preset manager and found it on axechange - ta

nice patch!

btw - here's the UD Stomp patch list that contains all of allan's settings. just rig up two quad tap delays in parallel to the dry path (100% mix) and copy the settings.

http://www.simeonharris.co.uk/misc/udstomp.pdf

the clean swell patches are lovely. i used a ud stomp for a while and when i moved to an eclipse, i copied some of these settings and they worked really well. already duplicated a couple in the axe.

top tip - for allan's lead sound, a really good tip is to do what he does - roll off the guitar volume a tad and also roll of the tone. he uses a 250k tone pot (so do i) and rolling off somewhere between 1/3 and a 1/2 sounds good. you just want to kill the top end a bit without making it sound muddy.

cheers

sim

simeon said:
nice patch!

btw - here's the UD Stomp patch list that contains all of allan's settings. just rig up two quad tap delays in parallel to the dry path (100% mix) and copy the settings.

the clean swell patches are lovely. i used a ud stomp for a while and when i moved to an eclipse, i copied some of these settings and they worked really well. already duplicated a couple in the axe.

top tip - for allan's lead sound, a really good tip is to do what he does - roll off the guitar volume a tad and also roll of the tone. he uses a 250k tone pot (so do i) and rolling off somewhere between 1/3 and a 1/2 sounds good. you just want to kill the top end a bit without making it sound muddy.

cheers

sim

Yeah - there is no big mystery with his sound now ;)

simeon said:
nice patch!

sim
Are the two Quadtaps supposed to be running into each other in series, meaning QT1 into QT2, or are both independent, parallel ?

Never owned or tried a UD, what is 'Tap' supposed to be ? I first thought Feedback of the delays, but that's there as well... :?

Thanks !

Wow! That's pretty damn good and close, my friend. I'd love to get more details like everyone else. Even a text version of the patch would help!

Regs,
Jeff

The quad delays run in parallel. I'll upload the patch here and my version of it later tonight.

simeon said:
The quad delays run in parallel. I'll upload the patch here and my version of it later tonight.
Thanks ! That's what I thought. What does 'Tap' do in the UD ? Wondering if two Quads are necessary or if if it could be done with the Ten Tap as well (if you've got an Ultra of course). I'll definitelt play around with some of those settings :)

ok firstly, i discovered that the quad tap won't work, because the taps feedback into each other. you'll notice from the ud patch list that each tap in allan's settings are independent. so use the band delay algorithm instead, because the taps don't feed into each other.

from the ud manual, the tap parameter -
Sets the timing for when the delayed sound is taken from the delay loop.
The value of the parameter is expressed as a percentage of the delay time setting.

can't remember what this means in reality, but you can ignore it, the presets sound fine

ok - here are three holdsworth presets for you

the first is the original preset from magoga
the second, i have tweaked by removing the hard bass cut and replacing with a dynamic, envelope controlled bass cut...i also tweaked the delays slightly to match those from the ud manual exactly
the third is my effort. i've used the MKII C+ instead of the USA Lead and run it through a marshall cab, so it sounds a little more upfront to me. i've added the dynamic bass cut and i also have a sweeping mid as well, so give it more "bloom". i've also added the Metal Fatigue harmoniser just for giggles.
i'm using a headless guitar with a carvin holdworth pickup (250k tone pot) with the volume backed off slightly and the tone rolled off about 1/3

best

sim

simeon said:
ok - here are three holdsworth presets for you

the first is the original preset from magoga
the second, i have tweaked by removing the hard bass cut and replacing with a dynamic, envelope controlled bass cut...i also tweaked the delays slightly to match those from the ud manual exactly
the third is my effort.
Sweet, man - cheers :)

magoga said:
I checked you presets - the main mistake is too gain?

yes, i know there's much more gain than he uses, but that's just my preference. i'm not trying to copy his sound exactly...just capture some of the essence, like the note bloom.

your patch sounds terrific...very dynamic!

sim

Back
Top Bottom