All Time Favourite Guitar Solo

clarky

Axe-Master
just a lil' fun

what are your all time fave solos??
don't have to be shred.. don't even have to be difficult..

and what was it that hit the spot? tone? a lick? something else?

If have to choose one, it would be Ritchie Blackmore - Stargazer solo

the classic Ritchie tone, style, melody and top off with cool effects

For me, the most impressive/favorite is Gray Piano's Flying by Shawn Lane from the Powers of Ten album.

Never heard anything that blew my hair back like that album did, and in particular, that song.

God Bless him. RIP Shawn Lane.

Devin Townsend - Deep Peace: beautiful, almost classical sounding, very atmospheric.
Rush - The Pass: very simple, but oh so elegant. Incidentally one of the most beautiful songs I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.
Metallica - Blitzkrieg: much better than the solo of the original, and I love the rising progression of the whole thing.
Megadeth - The Killing Road: this builds up so well to its climax. Love the tapping bit in this.
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor: arpeggio madness. Not usually my cup of tea, but damn this is impressive.

Off the top of my head:

Michael Schenker, "Only you can Rock Me": Very melodic, great feel
Ty Tabor, "Over my Head": Great tone, very tasty
Uli Roth, "Catch you Train": Cool sound, great vibe
Jimi Hendrix, "Power of Soul": Stellar live playing
Jeff Beck, "Blue Wind": Great vibe and interplay

I don't think you can go wrong with anything from these guys, but ask me in week and I'll probably come up with a different list....

And yes, most if this stuff is really old!

"Comfortably Numb" solo. Not my favorite music to listen to but that solo with that chord progression... oh man... hits me right in the soul every time.

That is a fantastic solo! David Gilmour has played a number of very memorable solos - get's the emotion just right.

Acoustic guitar:
"Because It's There" & "Aerial Boundaries" by Michael Hedges
For me, these two guitar solos embody a depth and feel that take me to a special place each time I hear them. They never get old.

Electric guitar:
Eruption - EVH
tone, feel, bravado, technique. I was a little boy when I first heard this, and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Game changer. Loved it then, love it now.

Special note: Live at the El Mocambo - Stevie Ray Vaughan video is another one that never gets old for me. Testify!!
Every tune on this DVD is a killer, with smokin' tone & technique - especially for me Stevie's versions of Voodoo Chile & Texas Flood.

Steve Hackett (Genesis) playing the solo in "Firth of Fifth" is one of my all time favourite solos. Simple, but beautifully simple and just over the top melodic.

I adore that one....
beautifully simple and simply beautiful

EDIT: still thinking about my fave solo...
I reckon it'll be a lil' list...

With the many amazing guitar solos my ears have had the pleasure of listening to over the years, it's hard to pick just one but....One of my all time favorites has to be the outro solo on Gary Moore's Empty Rooms, recorded in Stockholm 1987 during his Wild Frontier Tour. This guy was so melodic, played with such feeling and was so under-rated. Below is a youtube link of the solo but unfortunately the quility ain't too great.

Gary Moore Empty Rooms Live 1987 His Best Guitar Solo - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom