All the minor chords and their respective families and sub families going in order of harmony only

Bcraig

Inspired
hi there all ,
This is way off topic but something I am try to learn
looking for All the minor chords and their respective families and sub families going in order of harmony only
So I can hear the harmony and how it sound correctly harmony wise by ear as I play from basic minor chord to very complex

Example would start
a min
and go all the way to
a min 13 etc...

Not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but a start...

Minor chord = flat 3rd. So, Cmin triad = C Eb G

7th chords (4 note chords) would give you Cmin7 = C Eb G Bb

Where do they appear in a key? Key of Cmaj : Dmin7 (ii), Emin7 (iii), Amin7 (vi)

So, one thing to work on is the sound of Cmaj over:

Dm / Dmin7 : dorian sound
Em / Emin7 : phyrigian sound
Am / Amin7 : aoelian sound

Then move to other keys...

Any chord with a number higher than 7 is adding a note to the chord. So, your example of Amin13 is really a Amin7 with an added 13th. Same for chords like Am9, Am11.

Learning what chords are in a key is important. Start with a scale, say C major (although it could be minor, harmonic minor, major/minor, whatever) and build triads with every other note, or "7th chords" using 4 notes every other:

C D E F G A B C

I chord : C E G / C E G B
ii chord : D F A / D F A C
iii chord : E G B / E G B D
etc.

Not sure this is exactly what you are looking for, but a start...

Minor chord = flat 3rd. So, Cmin triad = C Eb G

7th chords (4 note chords) would give you Cmin7 = C Eb G Bb

Where do they appear in a key? Key of Cmaj : Dmin7 (ii), Emin7 (iii), Amin7 (vi)

So, one thing to work on is the sound of Cmaj over:

Dm / Dmin7 : dorian sound
Em / Emin7 : phyrigian sound
Am / Amin7 : aoelian sound

Then move to other keys...

Any chord with a number higher than 7 is adding a note to the chord. So, your example of Amin13 is really a Amin7 with an added 13th. Same for chords like Am9, Am11.

Learning what chords are in a key is important. Start with a scale, say C major (although it could be minor, harmonic minor, major/minor, whatever) and build triads with every other note, or "7th chords" using 4 notes every other:

C D E F G A B C

I chord : C E G / C E G B
ii chord : D F A / D F A C
iii chord : E G B / E G B D
etc.

Thank You oh that awesome this will give a good place to start and hope by ear I can understand more

A good ear training exercise, Play all the triads of g major in the upper register while keeping a low A pedal tone. This is the Dorian sound. Now play all triads in f major over A, this is Phrygian, etc

A good ear training exercise, Play all the triads of g major in the upper register while keeping a low A pedal tone. This is the Dorian sound. Now play all triads in f major over A, this is Phrygian, etc

Oh wow!! Thanks That quite interesting I will give that a try

Talking about just within one diatonic key, you can easily identify the minor chords within it.

Play each triad in the key. Each one that contains a root + flat 3 is a minor chord.

In the table below, I listed the notes of the C major scale down the left column. Each row consists of the "stack" of 3rd intervals for the root note (the first note in each row):

Code:
C E G B D F A
D F A C E G B
E G B D F A C
F A C E G B D
G B D F A C E
A C E G B D F
B D F A C E G

So, from this, you can get the the chord variations for each chord by stacking 3rd intervals:

Code:
Triad: 1 + 3 + 5
7th: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7
9th: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9
11th: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11
13th: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11 + 13

In this key, the following chords are minor: D, E, A, B
(Quick tip: in a diatonic key, the I (root), IV and V are major)

Using D from the table above (since you asked about minor), the voicings are:

Code:
D F A
D F A C
D F A C E
D F A C E G
D F A C E G B

Now, in most cases, once you move past a 7th chord, some notes may be dropped because all the notes are not really needed and how do you play all 7 notes of a 13th chord on a standard guitar? ;)

Also, this doesn't cover other types of voicings like sus2/sus4, 6th, etc.

Talking about just within one diatonic key, you can easily identify the minor chords within it.

Play each triad in the key. Each one that contains a root + flat 3 is a minor chord.

In the table below, I listed the notes of the C major scale down the left column. Each row consists of the "stack" of 3rd intervals for the root note (the first note in each row):

Code:
C E G B D F A
D F A C E G B
E G B D F A C
F A C E G B D
G B D F A C E
A C E G B D F
B D F A C E G

So, from this, you can get the the chord variations for each chord by stacking 3rd intervals:

Code:
Triad: 1 + 3 + 5
7th: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7
9th: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9
11th: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11
13th: 1 + 3 + 5 + 7 + 9 + 11 + 13

In this key, the following chords are minor: D, E, A, B
(Quick tip: in a diatonic key, the I (root), IV and V are major)

Using D from the table above (since you asked about minor), the voicings are:

Code:
D F A
D F A C
D F A C E
D F A C E G
D F A C E G B

Now, in most cases, once you move past a 7th chord, some notes may be dropped because all the notes are not really needed and how do you play all 7 notes of a 13th chord on a standard guitar? ;)

Also, this doesn't cover other types of voicings like sus2/sus4, 6th, etc.

Nice write-up. Adding to this, chords like 9, 11, 13 refer to adding those scale degrees. Chords like sus2 and sus4 are replacements of the third. So, in a sus2 you use the 2 instead of the 3. Sus4, you replace the 3 with the 4. The thing to note about a sus chord is that the 3rd is not present. So while both Amin11 and Asus4 both have a D-natural, only the Amin11 has a third (in this case, b3 since it is min).

Nice write-up. Adding to this, chords like 9, 11, 13 refer to adding those scale degrees. Chords like sus2 and sus4 are replacements of the third. So, in a sus2 you use the 2 instead of the 3. Sus4, you replace the 3 with the 4. The thing to note about a sus chord is that the 3rd is not present. So while both Amin11 and Asus4 both have a D-natural, only the Amin11 has a third (in this case, b3 since it is min).
Thanks.

I find this small bit of theory can really helps people connect the dots.

Understanding how chords can be built from a scale (and the converse) was very important to me, and for whatever reason doesn't seem to be common knowledge.

Back
Top Bottom