All 4ths (P4) tuning

SarasotaSwing

Experienced
Tom Quayle tunes his guitar in all fourths (Perfect Fourth or P4 Tuning), and Stanley Jordan has done so for years. The clear advantages are that it makes the fretboard symmetrical and allows for more movable chords. I find this highly intriguing and am going to give this a shot, as I've been using some of Tom's instructional material. I've got enough guitars lying around to have at least one in an alternate tuning. *LOL* Anyone else ever try this for an extended period of time?

It makes things easier to see, but eliminates the open and barre chords we all know and love. I tried it for a while. It makes more sense for bass players IMO. I'm incapable of flipping back and forth, to the point where when I was playing 6 string bass I tuned it like a guitar.

I never tuned to fourths, but I use strictly major thirds tuning. I imagine it's fairly similar. I love the symmetry, never wanted to go back. Only downside for me is that it makes learning other peoples songs hard and learning materials aren't as common.

I do not need 6 string barre chords, so this is a non-issue for me. I can also live without the standard tuning open chords. For me, after a couple of hours with it I already see the pros far outweigh the very few cons.

My basses are all tuned P4 of course, and I have one guitar that is tuned that way as well. I quite like it. But, I also play cello (tuned to 5ths), and have a piccolo tuned bass...

Back
Top Bottom