Airport security messed up my Axe-FX II !

I'm perfectly calm, although I do find it upsetting when people blindly put their faith and trust into institutions of which they know little or nothing.
You asked how their search was illegitimate. Just because they are "allowed" to do something (per their own statues via DHS) does not make it Constitutionally lawful nor morally right. Thus, illegitimate.
Their qualifications, procedures, and justifications are no different from letting a crack head fondle your kids on their way to school, because they say they do it for the children.

None the less, they are permitted to search and I can say with reasonable confidence they don't search just to mess up someone's Axe FX. International Law doesn't follow the Constitution of the United States of America. I don't find your analogy justifiable, either. Let's agree to disagree.

None the less, they are permitted to search and I can say with reasonable confidence they don't search just to mess up someone's Axe FX. International Law doesn't follow the Constitution of the United States of America. I don't find your analogy justifiable, either. Let's agree to disagree.

(1) Maybe it's not malice, but rather incompetence. I'd accept either answer.
(2) Re: Constitutionality, I am making a point. Per OP's situation: Will anyone bother to look up the Montreal Convention, or am I talking to myself here? OP could get back ~$1700USD.
(3) Re: my analogy: ABombazine: Master List of TSA Crimes and Abuses
(4) Do you work for TSA? You have yet to make a valid case for airport security beyond "itz da laaaaaaw!"

All things considered, I'd rather live with the risk that Axe-Fxs could be searched than the risk that terrorists could blow up airplanes.

(1) Maybe it's not malice, but rather incompetence. I'd accept either answer.
(2) Re: Constitutionality, I am making a point. Per OP's situation: Will anyone bother to look up the Montreal Convention, or am I talking to myself here? OP could get back ~$1700USD.
(3) Re: my analogy: ABombazine: Master List of TSA Crimes and Abuses
(4) Do you work for TSA? You have yet to make a valid case for airport security beyond "itz da laaaaaaw!"

Dude, seriously, chill out. No need to chastise me for my opinions. I have the right to mine, just as you have the right to yours. Peace.

All things considered, I'd rather live with the risk that Axe-Fxs could be searched than the risk that terrorists could blow up airplanes.

Wouldn't it be nice if there were a system in place that would prevent such a thing?

While the TSA may not have CAUGHT any terrorist to date nobody could ever know how many they PREVENTED by just by being there. I personally saw them catch a guy who was trying to take a gun on board in a carry on bag. It was quite a scene with him claiming he forgot he had it in the bag which may very well have been true but what if he did have bad intentions?

I hate that we have to go through all the hassles that are prevalent in these times but I have no problem with my belongings or person being searched as a preventative.

As for the OP, I feel terrible that his property was ruined and hope he can recover the cost.

Had a similar incident way back in the seventies when my Detroit based band was booked for a festival in Toronto. Got stopped by the Canadian authorities going into Canada (cause back then we were hippies) and they proceeded to unload the entire trailer full of gear and dismantle pretty much all the gear looking for drugs. It took us so long to reassemble everything that we not only missed our start time we missed the entire show, with the organizer threatening to sue us as a 'no show'. That was the end of Canadian gigs for us, it just wasn't worth all the grief.

I'm happy to have someone go through my stuff in the interests of security, even though more people have been killed in cars than in/because of airplanes. Airport security are to thank for this, even though the rise in paranoia has become a little ridiculous.

That being said, there should firstly be a system of accountability for those working in airport security and as baggage handlers. My Parker Fly was mauled on the way back from London after an exam, and leaving it up to an insurance company seems to lead to a sense of absolution from blame for the people responsible.

Secondly, there are that many alternative options, such as scanners and drug sniffing dogs, that probable cause before luggage is opened, nevermind equipment being disassembled, is not an unreasonable request.

Also, it should be the responsibility of the authorities to reassemble any items they suspect after it has been proven safe/lawful.

And WTF is with the 100ml liquids rule? I had duty free from Peru confiscated in Spain, even though it was marked as safe and sealed. However, the most laughable was travelling from Abu Dhabi to Australia. They took my toothpaste (which Dublin, London and Abu Dhabi deemed as safe) which was a 100ml container, but which was half empty. As the guy took it I took out my toothbrush and squeezed some on (24 hours flying gives anybody a bad taste), and brushed my teeth in the loo. Obviously dangerous stuff.

Wow. I'm pretty amazed at the number of people here who are happy to bend over for a pre-flight rectal exam in the name of a false sense of security.
I'm sure many of you are experts in your chosen professions, although I doubt anyone who's posted in the affirmative thus far are highly trained in a related field.
I'll leave you with this thought: if someone wants to, say, put a bomb on a plane, he isn't going to bother with a ticket. He'll lay dormant for months, years in some cases, until he's in the perfect position. Anyone willing to die for a cause will turn his life into the means to do so. Some here could use a history lesson. Start with "The Perfect Day."

Wow. I'm pretty amazed at the number of people here who are happy to bend over for a pre-flight rectal exam in the name of a false sense of security.

I am very well travelled and can't say I've ever had a rectal examination performed by any member of any security force in the world at any airport anywhere, as a matter of security. Don't they only do that if they suspect you are carrying drugs up there?

I'll leave you with this thought: if someone wants to, say, put a bomb on a plane, he isn't going to bother with a ticket. He'll lay dormant for months, years in some cases, until he's in the perfect position. Anyone willing to die for a cause will turn his life into the means to do so. Some here could use a history lesson. Start with "The Perfect Day."

Inetersting, because the biggest act of terrorism on American soil was not performed in the way you described. Neither was any airplane hijacking in the history of airplane hijackings. Look it up.

I'm no expert, though.

Why anyone would lend a piece of gear to someone else and then when things go wrong get upset. Get a plan in place that if a band borrows your gear, they're held responsible regardless of who damaged it "while in their care" Very simple, nice guys finish last in this world, that is just a fact.

Inetersting, because the biggest act of terrorism on American soil was not performed in the way you described. Neither was any airplane hijacking in the history of airplane hijackings. Look it up.

I'm no expert, though.

You should research details for yourself instead of taking for granted what the talking heads tell you.

Oh, almost forgot. 8 times... just in Ethiopia alone.

Last edited:
I'm sure many of you are experts in your chosen professions, although I doubt anyone who's posted in the affirmative thus far are highly trained in a related field.

You are so over the top with your comments that it really is hard to take you seriously. Nobody is happy to bend over for a rectal exam and I would bet you would be hard pressed to come up with any posters here who have had that happen to them by airport security.

For someone claiming expertise I am a little confused why you assume the searching is for only bombs, There could be chemicals that could incapacitate persons not to mention weapons. Heck, the 9/11 terrorists used box cutters. And what about the shoe bomber? Did you forget him? Again, it is sad testimony of the times we live in and unfortunately we have to lose some of our freedoms because of the idiots out there wishing us harm. I have no problems taking the few minutes to remove my shoes or being searched as a result.

And while I feel they could definitely upgrade the system, personnel, and policies regarding damaged goods I most definitely think the restrictions and security have played a preventative role. I am not worried about some zealot taking his life for the cause. I am much more concerned with him taking myself or my loved ones with him. I travel a lot and I could not imagine hoping on a plane in todays world if there was no security. And to your point. While security measures may not stop the most ardent terrorists in their one hundred year war or path to the "perfect day" it certainly does create a deterrent to the everyday nutcase like we are seeing in the recent school or theatre shootings.

Last edited:
Many people take guns in to schools, shoot them up, nothing changes. One guy tries to blow up a plane with his shoes and now we all have to take our shoes off.

You know what? Let's have lax security. Let's see how the world deals with a Lockerbie every other year, or a hijacking. Let's go back to the 1970's. Sure, we'll still have our freedoms! :D

P.S.: I actually WAS stripsearched by the RUC for suspected drugs in my bag on the way from Belfast to Dublin. I have direct experience of this and the hassle and embarrassment it causes. I also travel extensively, am currently in New Zealand on my third world trip, have travelled all across Europe, South America, the Middle East and Asia, had my guitar trashed in Dublin, and I am still thankful that they screen people before they get on despite the hassle it causes.

Many people take guns in to schools, shoot them up, nothing changes. One guy tries to blow up a plane with his shoes and now we all have to take our shoes off.

I disagree. Many schools and similar institutions upgraded their security policies after Columbine and even more so after Sandy Hook. Will it stop the nut cases completely? Nope. Will it deter some? I believe so. If there were two equal schools across the street from one another where one had no security and the other had scanners and guards which would you prefer to send your children to? While nothing is absolute I would chose to error on the side of safety.

Domestic gun laws and international airflights are two totally separate things. One stray shot goes off in a school? It's a little different to one shot going off in a plane at high altitude.

You should research details for yourself instead of taking for granted what the talking heads tell you.

Oh, almost forgot. 8 times... just in Ethiopia alone.

LMAO. Didn't realise there was TSA in Ethiopia. Dude, get real.

Back
Top Bottom