Airport etiquette when meeting people coming in on a flight?

Dixiethedog

Experienced
If you are meeting somebody at the airport who has just flown in what is the correct etiquette for greeting them?

Is it best to give them a good firm handshake? Would a hug be too forward and maybe a step too far? Or God forbid, would you kiss them?

I am tempted to just go with a polite but firm handshake. I am an English gentleman, not a garlic eating European and I most certainly don't have a cow in my backyard, so that rules out kissing both cheeks or shouting "Howdy Cowboy" upon their arrival. That is not meant with any disrespect to any garlic eating French people or similar sorts, or anybody who thinks they are a fan of cowboys. It is more of a "I am a gentleman". A chap, if you will.

So, to possibly answer my own question, when my wife flies into the big city tomorrow she will have to do with a firm handshake and a polite, "Hello, my dearest", and then maybe a nice cup of tea with a cream scone.

I have about 16 hours now to tidy the house. Wish me luck...

I was curious as to what "Punking us" meant. o_O I feel a firm handshake will suffice. And I won't be monkeying about, my hands will be clean and smell nice. The people who wrote the Urban Dictionary I suspect would be the type of people who would wear "sports" clothing even when they are not playing a sport. :) Can you imagine walking down the street wearing your cricket whites? King Charles would be knocking at your door calling you a madman. And rightly so. However, with a little bit of thought and contemplation, @warlockII's comment about a hug may be OK to do.
I refuse though to go to the urban dictionary to search out a "sloppy makeout session". I have learned enough slang today to last me a lifetime. :)I feel like I need a glass of sherry now to steady my nerves. I shall imbibe on the fruit of the vine. To relax. Not as the Urban Dictionary would have you believe as they suggest drinking is, "The act of pursuing happiness and self destruction at the same time."

TURN AWAY NOW IF YOU ARE DELICATE.

punking​

1705865739859.png
Urban Dictionary
https://www.urbandictionary.com › define › term=pun...

punking. n. the act of throwing your own ej*c*late at someone, most often at their face. Monkeying, that's sh**ting in your hand and throwing it at someone.

do what u want / feel! - "etiquette" suggests behaviour is formulated to some sort of expectational standard - who's? barring the new boss (or whoever) looking on, I wouldn't give a #%^ what other airport customers thought about my greeting style - nor would I think others around me would give 2 s#^ts about what I do - they're focus'd on getting somewhere else, not on me.

(hoping not to get punk'd for my candor🤣).

Last edited:
Just greet her as you normally would in a public place. If handshake is your thing, go for it. If the person is a close one, hug.

We travel quite a lot with my fiancée, so IIRC it's been maybe 5 years since one of us was waiting at the airport when the other arrived. Our smart home does a beep when either of us is close, so I know when she's about to arrive. No need to go to the airport :rolleyes:

If I leave the house for 10 minutes or more I receive a doggy welcome like this on my return. My crazy little dog Dolly loves me. As I do her. But as I approach the door to enter the house I brace myself for a good licking. :)
Dogs are awesome - they take care of their humans.

If you are meeting somebody at the airport who has just flown in what is the correct etiquette for greeting them?

Is it best to give them a good firm handshake? Would a hug be too forward and maybe a step too far? Or God forbid, would you kiss them?

I am tempted to just go with a polite but firm handshake. I am an English gentleman, not a garlic eating European and I most certainly don't have a cow in my backyard, so that rules out kissing both cheeks or shouting "Howdy Cowboy" upon their arrival. That is not meant with any disrespect to any garlic eating French people or similar sorts, or anybody who thinks they are a fan of cowboys. It is more of a "I am a gentleman". A chap, if you will.

So, to possibly answer my own question, when my wife flies into the big city tomorrow she will have to do with a firm handshake and a polite, "Hello, my dearest", and then maybe a nice cup of tea with a cream scone.

I have about 16 hours now to tidy the house. Wish me luck...
Be yourself, that’s who she married. But I’d think a hug and comment about missing her or welcoming her home would be both appreciated and certainly within “airport etiquette“ standards. She’s not simply a business associate, after all.

After a long flight, she’ll just be glad you didn’t forget to come pick her up. :p

Back
Top Bottom