Ahem - Auntie Em' - I want to come home!

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I ran into my fair share of issues (sonically) with FW 10.0. Okay - no big deal. Follow the conventional wisdom and downgrade back home to 9.02.

Wrong.

As I fear others have seen, YA CAN't DO IT. At least I can't. I loaded the last backup of the 9.02 FW. Loaded bank A from 9.02 (my bank). Poof. Nobody home, at least in presets - hrmm - 0-383 (all). What's the secret, or can't you really do this?

I loathe the concept of going back to 10.0, as I have probably 40 presets that others or I have tweaked, not to mention custom cab IRs. Resetting amp parameters seems counterproductive, as if you really have to reset ALL amp parameters, I'll be here all month. I have tweaked SAG, B+, and other parameters. Does the amp switch REALLY reset them all?

Anyway - I'm now sitting here with a doorstop. 9.02 loaded - nobody home. I guess I'll NEED to reload 10.0, much to my displeasure.

Yup - progress is great.

Note: I expect flames from the 'religious' Axe-FX II owners. So be it.

You should be able to load the version 9.02 banks/presets, and any presets you had saved from that version.

No flames just the observation that you are one of the 1% who doesn't like it. The other 99%, including some top players, love it. So it goes.

As far as I know, resetting (switching amp types momentarily) and double tapping the bypass button does reset all the amp parameters... even the obscure ones.

Folks -
As I fear others have seen, YA CAN't DO IT. At least I can't. I loaded the last backup of the 9.02 FW. Loaded bank A from 9.02 (my bank). Poof. Nobody home, at least in presets - hrmm - 0-383 (all). What's the secret, or can't you really do this?

You can do it. I loaded FW 9.02 last night and V9 Bank A presets just to satisfy my curiosity about the sonic differences between FW 9.02 and FW 10. I recorded the 59 Bassguy preset in FW 9.02, and afterward reloaded FW10 and the V10 bank A presets. Then I recorded the same preset and A/B'd them to hear the difference. No problem. BTW, I used FractalBot to load both firmwares and used AxeManage to load both preset banks.

Folks -

Thanks for the feedback! I did try to return to 9.02 last night using the FractalBot for the 9.02 firmware and Snoize Sysex Libararian to load the banks. I still ended up with all blank presets, as have at least one or two others.

Is there some key step that I am missing? I do cycle power as indicated after the load is complete. Is there some other manner of resets that I should be doing?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Note: I expect flames from the 'religious' Axe-FX II owners. So be it.

Don't say "flames" around the Scarecrow Dorothy. It makes him nervous.

:) I would just tell you to hang in there and realize that this is normal and happens with every single firmware update. People freak out, Cliff and Co. fix those things here and there that folks are struggling with, then everything is good.

You have thousands of users, all with different guitars, plugged into FRFR, amp cab, and computer, with all different tastes in music. Just hang in there and all will be fixed.

Folks -

Thanks for the feedback! I did try to return to 9.02 last night using the FractalBot for the 9.02 firmware and Snoize Sysex Libararian to load the banks. I still ended up with all blank presets, as have at least one or two others.

Is there some key step that I am missing? I do cycle power as indicated after the load is complete. Is there some other manner of resets that I should be doing?

Thanks!

Not that it should matter, but are you trying to send the v9 factory presets or your own presets? Maybe give it a try with Axe Manage. I know Axe Edit is not supported with v9, but I had used it with success just to load presets.

The banks I loaded under 9.02 were banks that had some custom presets in them, some by moi, some by Fremen, others by Mark Day, and so on. The rest were also stock 9.02 presets.

That shouldn't matter right?

FWIW, what I noted under 10.0 was that some amps sounded muffled, had modulating (well - somewhat) changes in volume, and I _think_ I heard the loss of sustain that some others have noticed. I know for sure that my/the Plexi Treble sounded much better under 9.02. Then again, it's possible it's one of the ones I tweaked...

Folks -

Thanks!

To eliminate the possibility of your preset bank being a problem, test that you can load the unmodified V9 factory preset bank.

Here's what I did...

1. Download FW 9.02 and factory V9 bank from here - http://axefx.fr
2. Load FW 9.02 via Fractal Bot
3. System Reset
4. Reboot
5. Check that the Axe2 really is running FW 9.02
6. Load factory V9 bank A (I used AxeManage)
7. System reset
8. Reboot

If you see FW 9.02 and can load the unmodified V9 factory bank then there may be some issue with your bank file.
If you can't load the unmodified V9 factory bank, then the issue may be with how Snoize is doing it's thing.

Good luck.
I have switched back and forth a few times to compare 9 and 10 and all my presets are still intact. I seem to remember on previous firmwares that if you store new amps that weren't on the old firmware and then you can't go back? Not sure if I am right on this.

Karma - thanks for the detail (and for archiving the older banks/presets). I'm going to give this a try this evening.

BTW - when shoul dI hit the double bypass? I didn't see that listed in your example. Is it after I have toggled the amp type to another, and then back again?

Thanks!

Not my archive so someone else deserves the credit. It is great.

Should be no need the reset the amp with a double click if you have the V9 presets and FW 9 loaded. But if you want to, do it after switching away and then back as you suggest.

Back
Top Bottom