AFXII JCM800 Model

All the friends I have who play JCM800s have the gain on max, bass around 5, mids and treble on 0, presence at ca. 4 when they can't push the Master Volume. It's a beast. ;-)

I have no experience with the JCM in the analog world. I've never really found the Axe model of it useful either. Scott Peterson has a lot of experience with the real amp and has used the model extensively. I heard his Axe II JCM clip and decided that I needed to revisit that model. I think knowing how to tame the beast is a big part of getting results with it. Those who learned how to master the real amp seem to have no real trouble with the model either. I'm going to mess with it next week some, but I doubt my results will be as good as Scott's since I don't really know much about the amp.

I have had a similar experience with the Top Boost model. I have several years of experience with the real amps, and have never experienced much difficulty in getting the sounds I wanted from the model. I've heard a lot of crying from guys not able to get the sounds they wanted from that model, but I always scratch my head wondering why they can't get it.

D

I had a JCM 800 back in the day, before going to Mesa... it seemed like a bright sounding head in it's own right...

I had a JMP from 1973. At low volumes it was extremely bright, almost unusable unless you rolled the guitar's tone quite a bit.
If you dimed the volume though (and everything else actually), that thing was a beast. Extremely sensitive to playing nuances, endless sustain, sweet tone, excellent crunch and ear-bleeding dbspl levels!
Thank god for the axe... My ears are safe again...

I think people have a dream of an idealized 800 tone, its been on so many recordings... but that's post mixing/mastering which is not a raw 800 sound at all. This causes much confusion.

On its own the 800 is not a beautiful sound IMHO. It barks at you. Its an amp designed for the mix of a live band first and foremost. Bluntly, the real thing always sounded harsh to me until it was looking for EQ space with drums, bass and vocals, then it fit but I was usually rolling the treble down, turning the cab off axis and/or swapping out the tubes for a different curve... That's how a real 800 needs to be handled and it was annoying then too. : )
This is a so true statement!! A lot of folks who complaint about the Axe fx not sounding like a raw amp in the room don't understand the nature of the Axe itself. It is design to get a polish pristine recorded guitar tone out of the box. I remember playing the real JCM800 for the first time in the early 90's in hope to get that Damn Yankee or whatever 80's glam rock band sound, and was I dissappoint!!?? I was like, hey, these guys are all using this thing, still, it dosen't sound even close to that tone I hear on those records. After learning about mixing and post production, I understand. Those record had tons of layering guitar tracks, heavily process, compress, eq, to fit the mix. So, I could never be able to produce this sound I loved so much out of my mighty JCM in my living room...until the Axe fx came. And I can even have this in the room JCM sound out of it, but what the hell, it sucks, I much prefer that polish like the record sound out of it!! And for those of you who expect to get that wall of Marshalls feel playing through near field studio monitors, forget it. If that's what you're looking for, play through 2 real 4X12 cabs or a frfr system like the atomics powercabs. And please, if this amp or this one is too bright or too dark, use eq, amps knbs are eq, if this is not enough, use graphic eq, parametric eq, this is why you have those in your Axe, to shape the tone to your taste according to the room you are in and the volume you are playing at!! This is democracy if you ask me!!

On the Standard/Ultra I love the following settings:

Brit 800
Gain 9-10
Bass 5
Mid 2.2
Treb 2
Pres 4
Master 3

Cab 1x12 Brit

I boost the amp with a paraeq block as a midboost, but that's just to finetune/eq my guitar.

This results to a really great and versatile sound imho.

Last edited:
Well dayum... I have an 80's JCM800 and a 2x12... but Axe less since I sold my Ultra... and waiting for an Axe II.

My JCM800 will pretty much remove your face until you get the master fairly high. Without cranking it, I keep the treble on 0, just a little mids, bass cranked, presence cranked and my guitar's tone control rolled off.

Richard

Had a ´77 JMP. It had a rounder sound than the ´83 JCM800.. Ended up with a JCM800 split channel. Wish i still had the JMP. Monstersound...... but soooooo loud...

They are designed to be run loud and the brightness decreases as the MV is increased. The sound of 80's hair metal for sure.

Kevin O'Conner describes that effect of the master volume of an 800 in his "Ultimate Tone" series. The MV interacts with the surrounding circuitry to form a high pass filter whose cutoff drops as you raise it, so cranking the master also fattens up the tone.

He shows a very simple mod using a single 100K resistor to swamp out that effect, giving the same HP cutoff for the entire range of the control.

I've done that mod and love how full my 800's sound with any setting of the master after doing it, and a couple of other ones to address the brightness of an 800 since I didn't like the shrill top end. I have two from the early 80's and they are indeed very brightly voiced, ice-picky amps.

The MV interacts with the surrounding circuitry to form a high pass filter whose cutoff drops as you raise it, so cranking the master also fattens up the tone.

Same as the bright switch on the axe. Fortunately, you can just turn it off.

I have JCM 800 from the 80's with the Drake Trannies and set of Svetlannas from the 90's. It was the first Tube Head I ever owned and be the last because I keep it for sentimental reasons. But the thing roars like a lion. I service it myself over the years but about 4 years ago took it to a guy that serviced amps and had him replace caps that needed it and the big caps he did some reconditioning process on them. Anyhow thing never sounded better and the amp guy told me the old svets i have in it are far better tubes than anything you can buy new nowadays. Of course had to crank it louder than hell to get a great sound of it but it cant be beat. I had a JVM 410h head never compared sound wise even after upgrading the tranny and adding a choke it made it better but no comparison. Marshall dont make amps like they use to.

Same as the bright switch on the axe. Fortunately, you can just turn it off.

Actually, the bright switch on the Axe controls a cap across the gain control. The KOC reference is at the master volume. One of the more popular mods to JCM800s is to clip the bright cap out of the circuit and like you said, fortunately in the Axe we can just turn it off.

I must be crazy but I dont find too bright (I think my ev live x run bass heavy) HOWEVER, I cant get any good gain out of it, e string is flubby muted, and no matter what drive I put in front just not right. If someone can dial in a good "80s hair metal" with this, I would love your settings, and my hat is off to ya (after all I want more gain sounds then the awesome Mark Day HBE!!!) (not that there arent others but I would like a real good 80s marshall sound a la Ratt and others! Thanks for any clues.

I will be back in town tomorrow; I am a bit surprised @ the thought that the Axe-2 JCM 800 is hard to dial. I turn the bright switch off and find it really simple to dial.

A lot of JCM800 recordings had Tube Screamers etc.. driving them. Very common. So deciding what the amp behind the pedal sounded like is not easy. With today's boutique amp market I think guitarists forget the amps back then were not what they are now. JCM800s had to be ear splitting to really sing by themselves IMO. And the bass was not tight at low volumes, just like any Marshall I have ever owned.

I am finding the JCM800 in the Axe-II to be my "go-to" amp. It covers a great range, cleans up nicely with the guitar volume and sits so nicely in the mix.
I found it very easy to dial in. Between that, the Fender Deluxe and Marsha BE....tones couldnt be much better IMHO.

well if anyone wants to give me their go to configuration for a great 80s hair metal sound I would love it, eg. ratt, dokken, I could listen through headphones and see what youve come up with. drive type, amp settings, cabs leave all else alone for now, thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom