AFX2 + MFC 101+ RJM Mini Effects Gizmo

tempus fugit

Inspired
Has anyone been successful at configuring said components such that any RJM MEG loop can be inserted or removed into signal chain on a per scene basis?

I have done this with the (non-mini) Effects Gizmo (and MFC) by placing the Gizmo in the Axe-Fx FX loop and just using the "Write" function on the Gizmo. And I'm a confessed MIDIot.

My application is for a few pedals that are placed before the AFX2.
Try as I might, I have not been able to fully replicate them in the AFX2....yet.
I've A/B'd this signal chain with my 2 rigs side by side
AFX2 plus matrix into 4x12
Marshall JMP into 4x12
and the difference is enough for me to consider cluttering up the floor with a few pedals and the RJM MEG.
I'm sure the more sophisticated AFX2 users could probably dial the virtual pedals in better than I can. But for right now, I would like these pedals in their assigned RJM MEG loops and on demand on a per scene basis.
For example
I have created a preset for a certain song
SONG X 001 Preset
SCN 1 AFX2 config + RJM loop 1
SCN 2 AFX2 config + NO RJM loop
SCN 3 AFX2 config + RJM loop 4
SCN 4 AFX2 config + NO RJM loop
SCN 5 AFX2 config + RJM loop 1,3 and 4

After my experiences with the RJM Effects Gizmo, which have been great, I need to ask:

1. Are the loops going to be the same requirement for the same scene in different presets?
2. Is the RJM going to be connected to the AF2's FX loop?​

I am asking because you can get the RJM to respond to the SCENE 3 midi command how you want it to for Song X 001 - RJM loop 4; however, for every other song it will turn on RJM loop 4.

If you have the RJM in the AF2's FX loop, you can mitigate the effect of this by the scene enabling/disabling the effects loop.

I'll have a look at it this weekend, if I get a chance.

May I ask what are the stompers you can't do without, someone on here may have emulated them already?

Last edited:
After my experiences with the RJM Effects Gizmo, which have been great, I need to ask: 1. Are the loops going to be the same requirement for the same scene in different presets? 2. Is the RJM going to be connected to the AF2's FX loop? I am asking because you can get the RJM to respond to the SCENE 3 midi command how you want it to for Song X 001 - RJM loop 4; however, for every other song it will turn on RJM loop 4. If you have the RJM in the AF2's FX loop, you can mitigate the effect of this by the scene enabling/disabling the effects loop. I'll have a look at it this weekend, if I get a chance. May I ask what are the stompers you can't do without, someone on here may have emulated them already?

Proposed Signal Chain
Guitar - MXR Octave Fuzz - Fuzzy Boy* - Triskelion** - <pedals wired to RJM loops> - Dunlop Wah - AFX2 - Matrix - 4x12

I really like the synergistic results I'm able to pull out of certain combinations of these components before hitting the AFX2 or even a real amp.

I just haven't been able to get the same evil growls, sweeps and other unique sounds out of just the AFX2 .
Hence my wanting to add the RJM MEG and these 3 pedals and my continued use of Dunlop Wah.

I can get kinda close with pitch, fuzz and wahs inside the AFX2, but when I A/B between rigs it's enough of a difference for me to really want to try utilizing the RJM

RE having the RJM loop 4 behave the same in ever Preset's Scene 3...that is not desirable.
Also, I plan to send a FOH feed and a feed to the real cabs.

Oddly I keep can sims on even when using real cabs. (see my post on the topic)
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/77457-fw-12-leave-lights-i-mean-cab-block.html
I find my tweaks to the amps are closer to what I'd do in real life
When I turn cabs off, it sounds so thin.
I know this isn't what everybody else is doing, but I've A/Bd real Marshall rig and AFX2 and that's how I get the full sound with only minor amp tweaking and at full stage volume.

*http://www.dirtyboypedals.com/#!fuzzy-boy/cimv
**http://www.godlyke.com/totally-wycked-audio-effects-pedals/hand-built/triskelion

Last edited:
Tempus, I think I have a workaround for you.

On the MFC:
A row of 5 Preset Switches.
A row of 5 Scene Switches.
A row of 5 RJM control switches.​

This will allow you to have 5 different combinations of the MXR Octave Fuzz, Fuzzy Boy, Triskelion, including all off. the only problem with it is that every scene change that requires a pedal change will need two switches

I'm thinking of a way of jiggering it up to the full 8, but how much do you or your tech enjoy programming MFCs?

Tempus, I think I have a workaround for you. On the MFC: A row of 5 Preset Switches. A row of 5 Scene Switches. A row of 5 RJM control switches. This will allow you to have 5 different combinations of the MXR Octave Fuzz, Fuzzy Boy, Triskelion, including all off. the only problem with it is that every scene change that requires a pedal change will need two switches I'm thinking of a way of jiggering it up to the full 8, but how much do you or your tech enjoy programming MFCs?
Many thanks Chris!
When you say , "that every scene change that requires a pedal change will need two switches" does that mean I have to press two switches on the MFC to enact that scene plus RJM loop?
RE all 8 scenes:
I don't yet have a song that requires 8 scenes. 5 scenes is plenty

If you have three pedals this means that you have eight possible combinations of having their loops are switched, ranging from all off/bypassed to all on. This goes up to 16 if you want to loop your Wah. These are not related to scenes, but using another row of the MFC switches.

There is the old school way of doing things.

For simplicity lets say that you have a three song set, for which you are using your current rig. Let us also assume that each song has five scenes.

Set up your rig so that the MEG so that is on a different MIDI Channel to the AF2.

Program your MFC as follows

Code:
[table=20%]
[tr][td]MFC Preset    [/td][td]AF2 PC   [/td][td]AF2 CC   [/td][td]MEG PC   [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]000[/td][td]000[/td][td]Scene 1[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]001[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 2[/td][td]01[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]002[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 3[/td][td]02[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]003[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 4[/td][td]03[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]004[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 5[/td][td]04[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]005[/td][td]001[/td][td]Scene 1[/td][td]05[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]006[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 2[/td][td]06[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]007[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 3[/td][td]07[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]008[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 4[/td][td]08[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]009[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 5[/td][td]09[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]010[/td][td]002[/td][td]Scene 1[/td][td]10[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]011[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 2[/td][td]11[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]012[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 3[/td][td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]013[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 4[/td][td]13[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]014[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 5[/td][td]14[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Once that is done, pool presets 000 to 004 into Song 1, 005 to 009 into Song 2, and 010 to 014 into Song 3.

Now cycle through your MFC presets, programming the MEG loops as you go through.

That should be it.

In rehearsals at the moment
Will check this out tomorrow

Im sure ill have some questions
Thank you very much for sorting all that!

If you have three pedals this means that you have eight possible combinations of having their loops are switched, ranging from all off/bypassed to all on. This goes up to 16 if you want to loop your Wah. These are not related to scenes, but using another row of the MFC switches.

There is the old school way of doing things.

For simplicity lets say that you have a three song set, for which you are using your current rig. Let us also assume that each song has five scenes.

Set up your rig so that the MEG so that is on a different MIDI Channel to the AF2.

Program your MFC as follows

Code:
[table=20%]
[tr][td]MFC Preset    [/td][td]AF2 PC   [/td][td]AF2 CC   [/td][td]MEG PC   [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]000[/td][td]000[/td][td]Scene 1[/td][td]00[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]001[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 2[/td][td]01[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]002[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 3[/td][td]02[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]003[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 4[/td][td]03[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]004[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 5[/td][td]04[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]005[/td][td]001[/td][td]Scene 1[/td][td]05[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]006[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 2[/td][td]06[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]007[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 3[/td][td]07[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]008[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 4[/td][td]08[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]009[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 5[/td][td]09[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]010[/td][td]002[/td][td]Scene 1[/td][td]10[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]011[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 2[/td][td]11[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]012[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 3[/td][td]12[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]013[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 4[/td][td]13[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]014[/td][td]-[/td][td]Scene 5[/td][td]14[/td][/tr]
[/table]

Once that is done, pool presets 000 to 004 into Song 1, 005 to 009 into Song 2, and 010 to 014 into Song 3.

Now cycle through your MFC presets, programming the MEG loops as you go through.

That should be it.

If I understand your proposed method, in order to this I will need program the MFC 101 to send Program Changes to the RJM MEG for IA's 1-5 .
As we previously discussed, I really have no need to do more than 5 SCENE changes within a given song. Hence only needing to program IAs 1-5

I see instructions on how to do so on page 56 of the MFC manual ( I'm referencing the MKIII MFC 101 v3.0) under section 12.4.10 IA Switch Program Change Settings.
I can set the IAs 1-5 to individually send different Program Changes.

But I think programming this way will box me in?
I remember you mentioning that one possible method would have the limitation of having IA1 send the same Program Change for EVERY Preset and the same for IA 2 etc. And I know you know I want to avoid that limitation. Im just not sure how to program the MFC101 to do what you are suggesting.
I think we might need to set up a skype session. LOL.
My MIDIOT brain is preventing my understanding of your solution.
Cheers

Back
Top Bottom