Afe-Fx 2 cleans more crunchy than with Ultra?

Hello,

I found that it's is more difficult to obtain clean sounds with the AF2 than with the Ultra.

For example, I set BRIT 800 Amp parameters on the ULTRA having a clean sound, and I try to set the same parameters on the BRIT 800 on the AF2, and get a quite cruchy sound, far from a clean I would like... To get that clean, I have to lower the drive even bellow 1. Whereas no the Ultra, it was more around 3 or 4. All other parameters are the same.

Is it normal ? Has any one encountered same kind of difference?

Lionel

PS : Of course, there is no other block activated than the Amp + same Guitar, same input level.

I have found the opposite to be the case... with my Ultra, it seemed that I could never get an AC30 or Shiva clean patch to actually be clean... with the II, the AC30 is heavenly !... maybe check to see if you are clipping the input, to somewhere in the recording/ playback path...?

Hello,

I found that it's is more difficult to obtain clean sounds with the AF2 than with the Ultra.

For example, I set BRIT 800 Amp parameters on the ULTRA having a clean sound, and I try to set the same parameters on the BRIT 800 on the AF2, and get a quite cruchy sound, far from a clean I would like... To get that clean, I have to lower the drive even bellow 1. Whereas no the Ultra, it was more around 3 or 4. All other parameters are the same.

Is it normal ? Has any one encountered same kind of difference?

Lionel

PS : Of course, there is no other block activated than the Amp + same Guitar, same input level.

Try lowering the Master Volume.

I'm finding the Input Trim and Master Volume to have a big affect on crunching or de-crunching cleans. Even with the drive fairly low the Master Volume starts grinding above 6. Lowering Drive and increasing Input Gain changes things a bit too.

Input Trim, Drive, Master Volume and Speaker Drive each have their own way of crunching or turn them all down for really clean and use Level to get the volume back. With all these options you should be able to find true clean and various crunchy edges of clean.

You've also got XFormer Drive, Power Tube Bias and Power Tube Gain to crunch or clean things up in the power amp.

Hi!

Well... I lower the master, for example, indeed the crunch amount decreases, and the overall volume can be compensated by increasing the mixer lever of the Amp block.

But the parameters are so much different anyway. So to follow Flyingfadr, with the AC-30, I found the same problem.

Here attached are 2 patches:
- a Classic A on the ultra, clean, despite a drive and a master levels at 8.
- a Classic A on the FX-2, Y setting, distorted, with about the same parameters as on the Ultra patch
- a Classic A on the FX-2, X setting, clean, but not as clean as on the ultra, whereas drive is at 4.1, and master at 2.85. I also reduced the power tube gain and other advanced parameter until where the sound apear less crunchy.

For info, I have these results with the instrument input volume on the FX-2 slightly bellow the instrument volume of the ULTRA.

So i'm surpised to have to lower main parameters (i.e drive and master) so drastically to get that clean sound....

Do you have the same issue with the attached presets?

Hi!

Well... I lower the master, for example, indeed the crunch amount decreases, and the overall volume can be compensated by increasing the mixer lever of the Amp block.

But the parameters are so much different anyway. So to follow Flyingfadr, with the AC-30, I found the same problem.

Here attached are 2 patches:
- a Classic A on the ultra, clean, despite a drive and a master levels at 8.
- a Classic A on the FX-2, Y setting, distorted, with about the same parameters as on the Ultra patch
- a Classic A on the FX-2, X setting, clean, but not as clean as on the ultra, whereas drive is at 4.1, and master at 2.85. I also reduced the power tube gain and other advanced parameter until where the sound apear less crunchy.

For info, I have these results with the instrument input volume on the FX-2 slightly bellow the instrument volume of the ULTRA.

So i'm surpised to have to lower main parameters (i.e drive and master) so drastically to get that clean sound....

Do you have the same issue with the attached presets?

View attachment CLASS A ULTRA.syxView attachment CLASS A FX 2.syx

I use clean patches more than anything else and to my ears they are fabulous on the II. Much easier to dial in also.

Razoumihine, this is why there might be no automatic converter from Ultra to II. You cannot replicate a sound just by replicating the preset's parameters.
On the II I've found that some Amp parameters have bigger impact on sound than before:
- Master Volume (on the Standard/Ultra I felt it had quite the same effect as the Level, now it's really like a new parameter).
- Presence.
- Damp.
- Triode Hardness (this one is new).
- XFormer Low Freq (I use this one when an Amp's default setting has too much low freq for my taste).

Thanks for your answers,

Yes yes yes...Indeed, for all the sounds I copied from the ultra to the Axe-Fx 2, AMP section, but also the CAB, have sounds changed a lot.

So it seems that it is normal, and I have to admit this. Also, I don't know how would real amplifier react, so the only comparison I have is the Ultra....

But, just to confort me that its normal, can some one just check the preset of the FX 2 I posted bellow?
-Y AMP should be distorted
-X AMP should be clean

Lionel

Back
Top Bottom