AF3 into Vox AC15 Amp

Zach Haley

Does anyone here use both amp/cab models in the Axe Fx3 and then run into a real Vox AC15? I am trying to figure out the best way to set up my real amp (trying to make it as transparent as possible) because I have some presets that Edo Sounds created that already have the amp models in there and I really like what he has done. As a side note.... I am a complete newbie to the axe fx/rack world... So all of this is new to me... so forgive any stupid questions:)

I don't think you'll get "Authentic" results running a an Amp or Cab model into the front of your real amp.
Thank you for the input! I was afraid that was going to be the case. I was trying to figure out a way of playing without needing to fire up my iMac and using my amp but still leverage those custom amp sounds that the presets had.

Here's a fun idea: get the little Duncan Powerstage and connect the speaker from your Vox to it. Then at least you can explore the many amp models with only the Cab needing to be bypassed. I did this one day with the guy in your profile picture and we had a blast!

Here's a fun idea: get the little Duncan Powerstage and connect the speaker from your Vox to it. Then at least you can explore the many amp models with only the Cab needing to be bypassed. I did this one day with the guy in your profile picture and we had a blast!
MY GOD!!! You got to work with the master himself!!!!! I am deftiniltey going to look into the Duncan Powerstage... though I might have to hold off a while on buying, my wife is not thrilled with how much I have dropped on the Axe-Fx3, the FC-12 and expression pedal :)

If you have a different amp with an effects loop, you'll get a more transparent sound by running the AFX Output to the FX Return of the amp. Just disable the CAB block when you do it. This way you're only using the Amp's power amp section and CAB to amplify the AFX amp/effect models. This works great with modern amps that rely on preamp distortion, thus the power amp section is much more transparent. I've posted recently about the success I had doing exactly this with my 5150.

Since you said you're new to modeling, I didn't want you to come away from this thread thinking that you can't run the AFX into a real amp and get transparent/authentic sounds.

Find a tech 21 powered 112 and go?

I have this, and it does work.

I experimented by installing a speaker jack to the rear of the Tech 21, so I could run the 5150 through the 1x12. Sounds and feels better than running it through the Tech 21 amp.

Side note - if you get a stock Tech 21 Power Engine 60, play through it for a while so you can appreciate how bad the Celestion 70/80 1x12 sounds, and then immediately replace it with your preferred speaker.

Does anyone here use both amp/cab models in the Axe Fx3 and then run into a real Vox AC15? I am trying to figure out the best way to set up my real amp (trying to make it as transparent as possible) because I have some presets that Edo Sounds created that already have the amp models in there and I really like what he has done. As a side note.... I am a complete newbie to the axe fx/rack world... So all of this is new to me... so forgive any stupid questions:)

I would not advise to go into the Vox amp input. I tried this with the AX8 and was a noisy mess. I would get a small PA speaker or studio monitor to make the setup much easier.

If you're using edo's U2 presets into an AC15 then you don't need the amp or cab sims, just bypass them and run FX only.

If you don't you're going amp-->cab-->amp-->cab

Having either of them on will sound bad. Not like "Bad".

“Cheers, mate — my AC-15’s never sounded so good!”

MY GOD!!! You got to work with the master himself!!!!! I am deftiniltey going to look into the Duncan Powerstage... though I might have to hold off a while on buying, my wife is not thrilled with how much I have dropped on the Axe-Fx3, the FC-12 and expression pedal :)
Matt (and a few other guys here) have worked with and helped a Who's Who list of artists, as well as countless unknown weekend warriors like me.

Edo’s presets are setup so that you can use Out 1 into a PA, using the amp. and cab blocks or Out 2 into an amp. He takes the signal before it goes into the amp. block to feed the FXLoop, which is Out 2.

I use Edo’s presets on my Axe-Fx II with headphones (Out 1) and with my AC4 or AC30 (Out 2) and don’t have to change anything or bypass any blocks. Works and sounds great either way!

Edo’s presets are setup so that you can use Out 1 into a PA, using the amp. and cab blocks or Out 2 into an amp. He takes the signal before it goes into the amp. block to feed the FXLoop, which is Out 2.

I use Edo’s presets on my Axe-Fx II with headphones (Out 1) and with my AC4 or AC30 (Out 2) and don’t have to change anything or bypass any blocks. Works and sounds great either way!
Thank you for this detailed breakdown! I will give this a go! I greatly appreciate it!!!!

Thank you for this detailed breakdown! I will give this a go! I greatly appreciate it!!!!
The only issue you are going to run into, is that unless you have very tolerant neighbours and your hearing is still 100% (for now), you may not be happy with the results.

As Edo explained to me, the edge of breakup you hear in Edge's AC30's (when he's using them), is the power amp. breaking up, not the preamp. In order to achieve that, you have to set the Master Volume at 10 and the preamp volume at about 1/4. Those settings make for a very, very loud amp. but they also make Edo's presets sound magical!

I have power scaling circuits on both of my amps. So I can set the Master Volume at 10, but keep the level way down...no louder than what I would set the television volume at or the level I would set the headphones at, when using the amp. and cab. blocks.

If I recall, when Edo used to use an amp., he had a power soak. I believe when he plays live now, he goes straight to PA and uses the amp. and cab. blocks of his II. If you listen to the stream of the show he recently played, you'll hear how good it sounds. Then again, Edo can make a shoebox with elastics on it sound amazing! Not only is he an amazing player, he knows his Edge 'stuff' and has an incredible ear for tone.

If you have a different amp with an effects loop, you'll get a more transparent sound by running the AFX Output to the FX Return of the amp. Just disable the CAB block when you do it. This way you're only using the Amp's power amp section and CAB to amplify the AFX amp/effect models. This works great with modern amps that rely on preamp distortion, thus the power amp section is much more transparent. I've posted recently about the success I had doing exactly this with my 5150.

Since you said you're new to modeling, I didn't want you to come away from this thread thinking that you can't run the AFX into a real amp and get transparent/authentic sounds.

This is the right suggestion for amps with an FX Loop...but I don't believe the AC15 is one of those amps.

This is the right suggestion for amps with an FX Loop...but I don't believe the AC15 is one of those amps.
Agreed - that's why I said 'different amp with an effects loop' :)

Too bad the AC15 doesn't have a loop. These days it almost seems like a necessity. Not familiar with VOX or why they would have done that.

Like @Toopy14 said, that's correct, use output 2 L straight into a real amp (amp / cab sims are only routed to output1). This way you're sending the fx chain to a real amp. You might need to adjust some fx level based on your amp settings, as the levels in my presets rely on the amp sim at edge of breakup and its "natural" compression. If your amp is set quite, it will have more clean headroom and a boost will add volume as opposed to gain.

Back
Top Bottom