Not a Bug AES stereo input, input 1 contains both left + right?

Thalagyrt

This is odd, and I can work around it by using inputs 3 and 4 or some other combination, but now I'm curious. Firmware 25 beta. On AES/EBU input, it seems the Input 1 block is outputting both the left and right channels of the AES input in stereo with a little bit of cross talk. This is unexpected to me, as the data I'm sending on the right channel (mag left, piezo right) doesn't light up the Input 1 LEDs at all, so I'd assumed that input block was only getting the left signal.

About the cross feed I'm seeing, if I take the Input 1 channel, pop a volume block after it set to right side input only, I still get some of the left side bleeding through when I run a signal only to the left. This doesn't happen if I use inputs 3 and 4 with their inputs set to left/right respectively in audio setup.

Is there any way to set Input 1 when using digital I/O to left channel only? Am missing something obvious? I only noticed this today for some reason, shows you how often I use that piezo input, haha. I'd just accidentally left my guitar switched to outputting both at the same time and noticed my magnetic tone sounded piezoish.

Thanks for any insight!

Is there any way to set Input 1 when using digital I/O to left channel only? Am missing something obvious? I only noticed this today for some reason, shows you how often I use that piezo input, haha. I'd just accidentally left my guitar switched to outputting both at the same time and noticed my magnetic tone sounded piezoish.

You usually do that downstream from the Input block. For example by setting the Input Select of a block to Left Only or Right Only.

Think I figured out the cross feed. I think it's just the gate opening when the right side signal pops in, letting the noise floor from the left side open up. So that part may be a non issue, but a way to set input 1 to left only would be lovely. :)

You usually do that downstream from the Input block. For example by setting the Input Select of a block to Left Only or Right Only.
Yep! In this case though, I want my piezo and magnetic signals coming into the unit separately, because I want different noise gate parameters for each. I don't run a gate on the piezo signal at all. I could split it with volume blocks and then run a gate block, but it seems easier to do this with two input blocks.

Easier to just use Input 2 for the Piezo. That gives you full gate control for each and you can pan them however you need downstream.

Easier to just use Input 2 for the Piezo. That gives you full gate control for each and you can pan them however you need downstream.
Yeah, that's what I want to do. But with digital input, Input 1 gets both signals. This is the surprising bit to me, because I'd always assumed Input 1 is mono only from using the Axe with analog connections. I can do it just fine with say Input 3 and 4, but Input 1 seems to be stereo with a digital input, and no way to tell it to use one or the other channel. That's the bit I think may be a bug or oversight :)

The input blocks are always stereo. Anyway, the answer to your question is still the same: Use a vol/pan block with the desired input select after the input block.

The input blocks are always stereo. Anyway, the answer to your question is still the same: Use a vol/pan block with the desired input select after the input block.
I understand that, but what I'm saying is that's unexpected, since Input 1 is treated as mono everywhere on the hardware.

My point is that when set to digital input, we probably should have a selector here for Input 1 like we do for the other inputs:

1711655383357.png

I think you're confusing the input blocks with the hardware input ports. It's a little confusing because both are numbered 1-4. It would probably help if they were something like 1-4 and A-D.

I'm not confusing anything, I'm pointing out something that's not immediately obvious when using digital input. It seems like an oversight to me. I can use 3/4 for my use case just fine right now, so it's not a big deal. I just am surprised that I can't configure Input 1 to take only one signal like I can 2-4 when set to digital. I don't think many people use the AxeFX entirely as a digital insert, which may be why we're talking past each other here?

I'm pointing out something that's not immediately obvious when using digital input.
Because you're starting with the assumption that Input 1 is mono. It's not...

I agree with your earlier post that it would seem to make sense to allow Input 1 Digital to support a input mode selection.

I'm not confusing anything, I'm pointing out something that's not immediately obvious when using digital input. It seems like an oversight to me. I can use 3/4 for my use case just fine right now, so it's not a big deal. I just am surprised that I can't configure Input 1 to take only one signal like I can 2-4 when set to digital. I don't think many people use the AxeFX entirely as a digital insert, which may be why we're talking past each other here?

Using Input 1 as digital is extremely common, especially when re-amping. I understand the request for a mode parameter for input 1, but I don't understand how the fact the Input 1 block is stereo could be considered a bug.

Totally fair Glenn! I don’t think it’s a bug at this point, just something that isn’t immediately obvious. An input mode select for Input 1 when digital is all I’m thinking would be nice here at this point, and I can totally work with it just fine as is.

Sorry for disappearing there, north american fiber seeking backhoe got me and I had to make a phone call. :(

Back
Top Bottom