AES - RME Fireface UFX Trouble shooting

modman

Hi,

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with a AES input query?

Im running the AES out from the AFX3 to my RME Fireface AES input. This is working fine, im getting signal through and am able to record using the AES channel in my DAW.

Im running into a bit of a hiccup with the AES input of the AFX3 how ever. I have the AES output of my RME plugged into the AES input of the AFX3. I have keyboard plugged into channel 1&2 on my RME interface and am outputing to the AES output. I have input 4 on the AFX3 set to digitial input and in the setup system setting, digital input is set to AES. But im not getting any input signal on the AFX3?

I could just plug the keyboard straight into the AFX3 but that defeats the point of the exercise. I theoretically would like to plug synths into my RME interface and use the RME routing to the AES input of the AFX3 for effects etc...

I hope this all makes sense. Any help would be amazing!

Sorry for asking, but you are running everything at 48 kHz right? And the Axe needs to be Master.

Also, obviously, you do need to insert an Input 4 block in the grid...

if you’re on Mac an another way of doing what you’re trying to do would be to create an Aggregate device with your Axe and RME card, and the simply interface the digital signals via USB...

can’t try your exact setup cause i don’t have AES on my UAD Apollo, but could try to do it with SPDIF and see if that works... i did successfully use the Axe as an ext effects module within my DAW with in/out via spdif before and that worked just fine, but back then you did not have the option of inserting the digital input to anywhere on the grid...

Yeah, everything is set to 48kHz with the AFX3 being the master.

Ive got an input 4 block in the grid and have tried with all the other Axe inputs but still nothing. Ive checked if its my interface but that is all working fine and outputting to the AFX3 if i take a hardware out into the Axe inputs. Its just the AES input that doesn't seem to be receiving. Im just using a standard XLR cable to attach the RME to the AFX3... am i meant to be using something else?

Ive got an aggregate setup already for recording over usb which works great but i would really like the flexibility of being able to route anything to the AFX3 via my interface.

Using a regular XLR cable should work in most settings, if the cable is not too long... but theoretically you should use a special AES/EBU cable (like e.g. this one: Amazon product ASIN B004NCUIKI).

I may be able to put my hand on some equipment that has an AES output this week, so I could run a few test for you.

I think the RME might need to be the master in this case. The Axe-FX definitely doesn't need to be the master, because there's a word clock parameter that you can set to SPDIF/AES.

Try this: Set the RME to use its own internal clock. Set the Axe-FX "word clock" parameter in the I/O: Audio menu to "SPDIF/AES IN".

(The Axe-FX II's clock source parameter had the options "auto" and "SPDIF/AES", with "auto" switching between internal & SPDIF/AES depending on main input source (USB or Analog Input 1 = internal clock; SPDIF/AES = external clock). There was a thread here a while ago where it sounded like "internal" isn't equivalent to "auto", and you need to manually switch between internal & SPDIF/AES to accomplish what "auto" previously did.)

I'm sure you done all this, but...

I would confirm that the clock is locked on the AXE, or if you have another digital device or a tester to confirm sometimes tricky RME routing.

I have not tried to get this to work the way you would prefer using input 4, however, these setting will get AES signal IN to the AXE via AES (Input 1).
I do not know the default value of the AES/SPDIF Level. I would make sure it's above zero.

WORD CLOCK: SPIDIF/AES
Digital Input Source: AES
SPDIF/AES Out Source: OUTPUT 1

Input 1 Source: DIGITAL

Last edited:
AES AFX3.jpg

Thanks! Setting the world clock to AES IN solved this. It would be amazing if i could set the clock source to ADAT and still use the AES as the digital input?

The only issue i have now is with the digital input. I don't know if this is a bug? When set input 3 to stereo i only get the left speaker. When set to Left Only i get both speakers (not sure if true stereo?). When i select Right Only i get a very low stereo sound and when i select SUM L/R i get a stereo sound.
The other thing i notice is that on the AFX3 front led's i only get the left side of the input leds showing rather than both left & right. Also the leds on output 2 come on as well when signal is passing through?

Thanks again!

Check the manual for this for the explanation.
I wouldn’t recommend summing the input.

To resolve, put a volume block after the input to center the signal.

Im running the AES out from the AFX3 to my RME Fireface AES input. This is working fine, im getting signal through and am able to record using the AES channel in my DAW.

Could I ask you to confirm whether you are indeed getting a proper, fully stereo signal via the AES Axe-Fx output to your interface and DAW?

Thx!
Joce

Back
Top Bottom