Advise on recording software.

Why can't you continue to use Garageband?

Firewire 800 is the fastest I/O right now, but I don't think any of the audio interfaces actually take advantage of it unless you want to end up spending a good bit of cash.

I would also hold off as I heard the industry is going to be hopping on the Thunderbolt bandwagon shortly.

You can record more than 8 tracks on Garageband. What do you intend to do with the recordings?

Actually, firewire interfaces in general are neither the fastest, nor the most reliable. Depends on how much audio and/or midi you're shipping around.

I use an RME DigiFace with Apogee Rosetta as my interface. Never, ever burps, gets overloaded, drops a sample frame.

My DAW is Samplitude - a virtual unknown here in the States, very popular in Europe (the massive Vienna Symphony sample set was recorded and mastered with it). Their support is so-so. The software has often been years ahead in some areas. Right now, Samplitude Suite comes with so many plug-ins, synths, drum kits/programmers, and a high-end sampler (not to mention amazing noise removal and convolution reverb) - and an analog plug-in suite for mastering, a pretty damn good Guitar modeler that I'd heartily recommend IF you didn't already have the Axe - I mean, this thing is LOADED with features, for tracking, mixing, mastering, burning - all in one program.

But it ain't cheap.

The REAL issue with DAWs is not just features - it's mindset - Logic and Live and Pro-Tools and Samplitude all reflect different ways of thinking about the tasks at hand. Some people find Samp excessively 'widgety' - certainly the interface can be busy (adjusting with skins, docking, closing un-needed windows etc. can ameliorate the newbie-intimidating profusion-confusion) - but like Photoshop or After Effects, Samp is VERY VERY deep. Super damn deep. And with power comes complexity. I still sometimes record something in Live, 'cause it's fast and 'fun', though their reverb etc. are a joke compared to Samps (the Axe's verbs can't stand up to samps either, IMHO, but they are two different animals). But for serious projects, it's hard to beat the big boys. For me - I never liked how Pro Tools used to lock you into THEIR hardware. I never liked Logic's 'left brain' orientation (admittedly, I haven't looked at it in years). Samp is also left brain compared with something like Live, but for me it works.

I'd looks at tutorials etc. before you buy - get a feel for the different feature sets, but ESPECIALLY for the different work flow and User Interface philosophies. There is no one 'best' DAW; there is only what's best for YOU.

Best of luck.

I used PT for a long time - but once again got fed up of the update charges. Doesnt help that my PC died, so I had to upgrade if I wanted to keep using PT.

I went to Reaper for a while until I decided what to do (use the AFX as an interface, or get a dedicated on. Which DAW to use etc), but in honesty Reaper is just fine/ My plugins from PT all work - except Melodyne with is a little bit annoying, but it was an online purchase in RTAS format only. My other plugins (box'd) contained all versions.

Logic isnt an option as Im not on Mac - Reaper in honesty is almost as good as PT for my use.

I use Presonus Studio One 2 Pro and I absolutely love it. Everything is extremely user friendly. I've used ProTools 9, Reaper, tried Cubase, Nuendo, FL Studio, and they just weren't for me. Studio One just seems much easier and convenient to use for me. If you currently use Garage Band, I do hear that Logic is an easy switch as far as similarities. But I run Studio One on a Mac and PC and it works flawlessly and like I said... insanely user friendly. Plus it is pretty affordable and you get a huge bang for your buck! I would definitely look into it if I were you bro.

And Presonus makes really good USB or Firewire interfaces as well. You can actually buy an interface that includes Studio One Artist and you can upgrade to Pro for a nice price. Keith Merrow and Ola Englund are couple of respectable musicians who use Studio One and Presonus interfaces... For reference.

Last edited:
I use Presonus Studio One 2 Pro and I absolutely love it. Everything is extremely user friendly. I've used ProTools 9, Reaper, tried Cubase, Nuendo, FL Studio, and they just weren't for me. Studio One just seems much easier and convenient to use for me. If you currently use Garage Band, I do hear that Logic is an easy switch as far as similarities. But I run Studio One on a Mac and PC and it works flawlessly and like I said... insanely user friendly. Plus it is pretty affordable and you get a huge bang for your buck! I would definitely look into it if I were you bro.

And Presonus makes really good USB or Firewire interfaces as well. You can actually buy an interface that includes Studio One Artist and you can upgrade to Pro for a nice price. Keith Merrow and Ola Englund are couple of respectable musicians who use Studio One and Presonus interfaces... For reference.

+1 on Studio One 2 Pro. I switched to it from Logic because I got tired of staying current on both PC and Mac (I need PCs for work). The transition was very easy and I find it a bit more intuitive than Logic was for me.

Back
Top Bottom