Advice wanted from other musicians regarding stage volume

It's odd that it only seems to be this particular venue where I've experienced this problem. :/
Where were the eardrum-vibrating low frequencies coming from (I assume they're low freq)?

If bass, then isolate the bass from the surface of the stage.
If kick, then drummer HAS to take it back a few notches.
If it's just lows and it isn't either bass or drums, maybe it's where you're standing. Like I said, try swapping locations w/ bass player. It could be as simple as that.

If it's all the instruments, then it might not be standing waves at the resonance frequency of the room area you're in, and it might not be a "node" (I thinks thats what they call it) either excessive lows at a specific location or it often happens near a wall or corner where low end tends to pile up.

If it's not low freq and it's all the instruments, perhaps you're just in a place that's trapping all the acoustic energy (a small stage where ceiling/walls are very close and either hard surfaces or bare surfaces.) Small stages with close walls can be deafening.

You're just in a place with exceptionally hostile stage acoustics. Either you're dealing with low end problems or acoustic trapping/amplification of stage volume.

I'm sure they'll be those who disagree and have their own theories, but I ran into this quite a few times on the road.

The eardrum-vibrating frequencies were coming from the drummer's toms and snare (I think)... I was standing pretty close to the front of his kit initially, but even when I moved away I could still feel it. As I turned away from the drumkit to save myself I caught the blast from the bassist's enormo-cab. I found myself trapped.

Venue seemed unremarkable as I say, except for an uncarpeted floor. The "stage" area was sunken below the level of the bar floor. There were archways between the bar and the stage area. I suppose this could have caused some strange acoustics.

I may suggest swapping place with the bassist next time.

The "stage" area was sunken below the level of the bar floor. There were archways between the bar and the stage area. I suppose this could have caused some strange acoustics.

I may suggest swapping place with the bassist next time.
Sounds like you're in an acoustic trap. Just a few inches of wall-like surface either dropping down from ceiling or encroaching from walls can trap the sound in the room you're in. If you go in again and start listening during soundcheck, I think you'll be surprised how much sound is reflecting back at you from those "trapping" surfaces.

Bands gotta come down in volume there. Someone needs to crack the whip. Hopefully it'll be better next time.

except for an uncarpeted floor. The "stage" area was sunken below the level of the bar floor.

- was the drummer using a rug under his kit? common practice to keep them from creepin' & to contain some sound?

- maybe you could also stand on a piece of carpet, to obsorb vibration/sound.

- next, consider the hard surfaces of the sunken stage near you...block them.

- if it happened at every venue, you could consider getting a tall piece of that clear plexiglass baffle, that the pro's use on stage.

Interesting situation. I am a risk consultant by trade, and a guitar player by passion. Here is the risk consultant speech. ALL forms of hearing protection have a NRR (noise reduction rating). It is what the name implies. If a particular hearing protector (muff, plug, etc.) has a NRR of 20, it reduces the sound pressure by 20 dba, or bdc, depending on which scale (not musical scale) the sound pressure rating is measured with. If the exposure is 110 dba, plugs with an NRR of 20 will drop the exposure to 90 dba. Still pretty high. Unless the plugs are inserted correctly, the NRR falls of very rapidly. And I do mean very rapidly.

Sound pressure is not the only concern. The frequencies you are exposed to and duration have a big impact on the damage that may be done to your hearing. Generally, lower frequencies do not cause as much damage as higher frequencies (generally). Duration is important. Typical exposure is measured and expressed as TWA (time weighted average). Exposure would be measured as 85dba TWA, or 90dbc TWA, etc. Unless the duration is eight full hours, readings on a correctly calibrated sound level meter must be taken at periodic intervals and calculations done to determine the actual estimated exposure levels. The calculations are not complex. The fewer readings, the greater the margin of error. If only a few readings are taken, the margin of error increases. OSHA standards DO NOT apply to an audience, but liability standards do. Exposure over 90dba TWA is considered harmful. The db rating is exponential, not linear, whether measured on the a scale or the c scale. Think of the proverbial Richter scale for earthquakes.

Bottom line is, your hearing is a valuable sense, and can easily be damaged by high sound pressures, especially if the sound has a lot of high frequencies or is very concussive. IMHO, everyone in your band should be wearing some kind of hearing protection. There are many types of hearing protection available, from cheap foam plugs to costlier protection that can be frequency selectable. A lot of people harm their hearing in small incremental doses. The damage cannot be reversed. For a small fee, you can get an audiogram done annually. Loss of high frequencies is usually due to noise exposure. Loss of mid-frequencies is usually due to a medical condition.

As for your long term exposure, hearing damage is like smoking. One ciggi will not kill you, but a bunch every day sure will. Same with hearing loss. Small incremental damage to your cilia (little hairs in your ears) will cause profound hearing loss, that cannot be corrected. Ask yourself what kind of shape your ears will be in 20 years from now. I hope this helps amigo. You should take your hearing protection very seriously.

Back
Top Bottom