Advice on scene 1/2 clean to dirty clean question

kevrock

Experienced
so scene 1 is my HBE drive all good sounds great. Scene 2 is a shiva clean sounds great by itself but when playing in a band or with any recording my cleans get lost I’ve tried more mids. But I feel I have to have my clean volume way way higher than my dirty volume. Is this normal? Any advice on dirty to clean transitions? (Besides a shower. Lol ).
Cuz if I set my clean volume louder to be heard even with the dirty is way louder when I’m just jamming alone. And I have my dirty levels on the vu meter on my presets right at zero. Thanks for any advice. I’d like a good solid clean for live just losing my way trying to get it. I spend to much time in high gain land. Lol. Thanks fellas.

Most people have problems with their gain patches cutting through the mix. Cleans have more headroom and to me need more "taming"....ie compression, limiters...etc

It's a common problem, I'd guess. My cleans are set louder, and usually patches for gigs / rehearsals have more compression (sometimes higher master volume than usual), lot less highs, bit more mids than "home" ones. If I'd just use my home, practise clean tones with the band in the rehearsal room, just setting levels louder - this would be a fizzy mess :)

You can also try setting the output compression in the amp block. Dynamics>Output compression. Try setting it around 2. I do that on all my clean presets. Also, you can boost the preset output on your clean scene. In AX8 Edit, last block on the right.

Maybe your cleans are too clean. If there is just a hint of saturation, the tone will be more compressed, and your transients will be tamed. When the cleans are pushed into slight saturation, they can be turned down, and your drive tones can be turned up a bit.

In the end, we all end up levelling by ear :)

Maybe your cleans are too clean. If there is just a hint of saturation, the tone will be more compressed, and your transients will be tamed. When the cleans are pushed into slight saturation, they can be turned down, and your drive tones can be turned up a bit.

In the end, we all end up levelling by ear :)
This^
That’s why we use tube amps. If you listen to stems you will find cleans are dirtier that you think and gain patches are cleaner than you think from great players. I use the volume from my guitar to get clean from my gain patches live. I rarely use stomp pedals. I also have an expression pedal set on the preamp gain that when it’s back it is at what ever my patch is set to and as I move forward it adds preamp gian to a desired level. Thus I can still clean it up with my guitar volume. I use a Friedman BE for everything from Skinered to Van Halen. So if my sound man is on for solo boost, I can be in the audience and change my tones with volume knob and pickup selection with very little pedal dancing. Once you get used to it, it’s very liberating. I do have a null filter volume boost on and external latching pedal for solo boost. Which I use for solos and if I need a little boost when I play clean with a lite touch and need to be out front in the mix. When you play clean with a gainey patch your guitar also has a lot of expression and depth. IMHO

I agree with Maxxblade. I set up a nice crunch that I like for rhythms. Roll back the volume for cleans and for leads either set up a scene with more gain or use a drive pedal. I've been having fun with the Brit 800 for this. Sounds great and when the volume is rolled back it cleans up nice with still a lot of dynamics.

Back
Top Bottom