Advice on most appropriate audio/video edition software

cheopsnet

Inspired
Hi,

For a while, I had been trying to properly edit audio and video for a specific use: play over a backing track/original song (recording both the HD video and audio) and create a YouTube video of the result.

So far, I get the following quality:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cheopsnet

I am planning on using the same gear (Flip for the video, ProTools or GarageBand for the audio), but am looking to use moderately advanced features in a mixing software (I have been using Imovie so far). For example: I would like to create videos in which the screen is split into 3/4 the following manner:
- screen 1: me playing the bass part over a backing track
- screen 2: me playing the rhythm guitar over the same track
- screen 3: me playing solo guitar on the track

I cannot seem to do that easily on Imovie. Moreover the synchronizing of the audio and video is done manually by me, and is not always really accurate.

Any suggestion regarding an improved way to achieve my goal? Any good and commonly used software, more advanced than I movie? I should soon get a copy of Apple's Final Cut for my MacBook, is it easy enough to understand?

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Cheops
cheopsnet@gmail.com

NB: So that you know here is the process I do
1. Have the Flip camera rolling and the ProTools file ready to record (track 1 is backing track, track 2 is what I want to record)
2. Start recording
3. If I am not happy about the track, I stop both the camera and Pro Tools, and restart both (really time consuming). Then back to step 1. Otherwise, step 4
4. Import the movie on my MacBook while creating an Itunes file from the ProTools resulting audio track
5. Create an HD movie on Imovie, import the video, detach and delete the audio from the movie (b/c I don't use the audio from the Flip)
6. Adjust the audio track to the movie (done manually, so time-consuming and not precise)
7. Export to YouTube
This whole process is really time consuming if I want to do an ok job. Furthermore it only works for 1 video input, so I cannot record several videos and create a multi-screen video.

Back
Top Bottom