Advice on I/O audio interface

Scoop

Hi all,

Im after some advice on as the title suggests an audio interface, my current setup is Axe FX 2 plugged into my iMac via USB, Yamaha HS50s connected by xlr, and AKG headphones in the phones port.

My question is which interface will serve me better for recording to my Mac? is Usb the prefered method or would I be better off going in on Spdif or something like that into an audio interface?

And also I would like it to act as a headphone amp for my the phones as they seem a bit quiet, probably due to the 60 ohm resistance. Also would the interface allow me to switch between monitors and headphones and vice versa simply? Im assuming I can set the volume levels for the phones and montiors from the interface so I can get a comfortable sound each time?

My budget would be about £200, and would rather have you guys suggest something rather than a salesman who I asked the other day who didnt know what an axe fx was.

sorry for what may seem like a simple question but I dont know much about this sort of thing.

For a pro-grade audio interface, my take is that $500 is about the starting point. You can certainly get interfaces that are less expensive, but then it comes down to what sort of D/A and A/D converters and clocking stability do you get. Some of the better products come from Focusrite, RME, and Apogee.

Several folks use the USB interface, and it should be pristine as it's straight digital into the Mac. It does restrict you to recording at 48Khz, but that shouldn't be a big problem. Your headphone and monitor routing options are fairly fixed though when using just the Axe-FX II.

Have a look at some of the interfaces over at Sweetwater.com to get a rough idea on price points and features.

Back
Top Bottom