Advice on a frfr cab

Jvstrat

Experienced
I have an ev elx112p that I'm not real satisfied with. It seems to lack mids and I don't hear the same clarity for my axe I do with my studio monitors. I have an old atomic 18watt 1x12 amp that the power amp died in. I'm thinking about getting a pwr amp like an ehx magnum 44 or maybe an inexpensive pwr amp rack for it and maybe eventually upgrading the speaker to an eminence beta which is the same speaker that is in the highly regarded xitone frfr cabs. I go direct to FOH so this is just for stage monitoring/gratification. Any suggestions?

Magnum 44 is ok but it gets distorted if you turned up more then half ....There are some inexpensive Carvin with lot of headroom...

After you factor in the time and cost of buying a 44mag (which really isn't too ideal) or other power amp, and getting a new speaker, in addition to the time wiring everything up, plus what you could get selling your ELX and maybe the Atomix for parts, I think you'd come out ahead just buying a CLR active wedge (or a Xitone).

Great sound, very flat, very clean, can get very loud, and great dispersion too.

Well, if you like studio monitors, then you want studio monitors on steroids. That's Accugroove speakers. Click the link in my signature and check them out.

I have an ev elx112p that I'm not real satisfied with. It seems to lack mids and I don't hear the same clarity for my axe I do with my studio monitors. I have an old atomic 18watt 1x12 amp that the power amp died in. I'm thinking about getting a pwr amp like an ehx magnum 44 or maybe an inexpensive pwr amp rack for it and maybe eventually upgrading the speaker to an eminence beta which is the same speaker that is in the highly regarded xitone frfr cabs. I go direct to FOH so this is just for stage monitoring/gratification. Any suggestions?

Hey Jvstrat,

Mick with XiTone cabs! I see you are in Concord! I am right up the road in Greensboro. If you want to drop by and demo a cab just let me know and maybe we can work something out!

Thanks,

Mick

Ohhh I did not know that. I may take you up on that sometime and then try to sell my ev to buy one. Is all your pricing on the site?

Back
Top Bottom