Advice needed from Ibanez users re. pickups

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
I just bought my first Ibanez on eBay. It's a J-Custom (model RG8470Z BX) in H-S-H configuration (Tone Zone/True Velvet/Air Norton). Running through my usual Axe-FX presets which are self made for my Strat and Les Paul, my immediate observation is that the humbuckers are much hotter and require an input trim adjustment. Even after trim adjustment and creating new presets from scratch, I find these pickups sound compressed and flat compared to my Les Paul (which has more bite and dynamics). Is it worth me throwing more money at a pickup replacement or should I accept that this is the way the guitar is meant to sound and conclude that it is not for me?

Last edited:
How does it feel to play unamplified? Are you happy with the neck, frets, bridge, etc? If not, it's probably best to move on. If yes, try a making a preset from scratch just with your Ibanez. If you don't find you can get similar bite and dynamics you're looking for in that way, then it's probably worthwhile to try some different pickups.

Pickups all have their own flavor for sure but before you try new ones give a couple things a shot.

The closer a pickup is to the strings it will be more compressed and have more output. Try backing it off a couple turns at a time small amounts can make a huge change. Also, if you have adjustable pole pieces try making some small changes there and see what happens. Typically if you raise a pole it will emphasize either bass or treble depending on which side of the pickup is raised. Obviously closer to the bridge side is treble and closer to the neck side is bass. Give it a shot, and happy tone hunting!

I'm still adjusting to the very flat neck. It does feel strange after my other guitars but I dare say I could get used to it. I'll try the pickup adjustment suggested by RSF before reaching any final conclusions.

+1 to pickup/string distance. That may help a lot. The mentioned pickups are very hot ones... and you won't lose definition, if you increase the distance to the strings. If the pickups are too tight to the bridge, it always sounds compressed and with lack of dynamics.

I have several Ibanez guitars and a few others, plus I've worked on many of them. What I've discovered when it comes to tone and feel is your fingers/style come first, pickups second, wood type in the guitar third, bridge type fourth then there's finish type, pickups mounted to body or rings etc....
And don't forget to use your favorite strings.

I read an interview with Satriani years ago and he has his action ridiculously low, he says that the strings don't buzz they compress when the actions that low.

I have several different Dimarzio pick-ups and don't care for the ones you mentioned, some seem great and some are lifeless IMHO. If you really like your LesPaul pups maybe have a set of those installed in the Ibanez.

I got a J-custom a few months back and I absolutely love the flat neck. I ended up swapping the humbuckers to Dimarzio Illuminator pickups. I am happy with how it looks and plays.

guitars sound different... why have 10 guitars that all sound alike? The tone zone is a love it or hate it.. it's pretty high output as well.

I lowered the Tone Zone on the bass side and it helped a lot. Still preferring my LP though. The thin neck feels very strange.

I have a j custom that I put lower output pickups in. The dimarzio paf 36th anniversary in the bridge and air classic in the neck.
I am totally happy with this combo. The paf has a little bite but not too much and the air classic is not muddy in the neck.
They work well together volume wise also. Very pleasing split positions. I am moving away from hot pickups because of this.
More clarity and versatile and they do metal just fine also.

I have a charvel old 80s san dimas that has a tone zone in bridge and air Norton in the neck... it's a good combo for that guitar.

Back
Top Bottom