Advice For A Fractal Newb

KAM

Hello gentlemen. I am the new owner of an AxeFX II XL+. I through read the manual, but it doesn't seem entirely straightforward in some regards. I plan to use computer speakers through the headphone jack until my active monitors, mixer, and audio interface comes in. I've watched some intro videos, but not really anything describing how to set the amp so it can be used with its FX return as a power amp for the AxeFX. What settings need to be changed in the AxeFX to make it sound good? What are some other practical things I should know about the AxeFX got get a good start? Thanks in advance.

how to set the amp so it can be used with its FX return as a power amp for the AxeFX.
I think what you're asking is you want to use a real guitar amp as a power amp so you can play over a real guitar cabinet? Is that correct?

Can you explain your set up a little more in detail? You mention that you're going to play through computer speakers and an audio interface, but you're talking about using a power amp, also. Those two things should never mix or you'll damage equipment.

Greetings and welcome.

I would not use any computer speakers to tweak presets. There will be a huge difference in the way your preset sounds through an amp or powered speakers, as compared to computer speakers.

I run output 2 to the effects return of a Line 6 Flextone II XL. It works great. If you are just playing at home, then run output 1 to the effects return. Use a TRS Y cable so you can get both sides of the stereo field. Be careful with toe volume. I have the volume on my Flextone very low and it really rips. Start with the output volume on the Axe at fully off, and then bring the volume up to taste.

When I first got my Axe I scrolled through all the presets and made note of the ones I liked, and then grouped them into clean presets, rhythm presets, and lead presets. Those presets gave me plenty to start with. I gradually started to build my own presets using a lot of the suggestions of my friends here at the forum. There are way too many to name but Cliff and Matt (obviously), @yek, @2112, @austinbuddy, @Rex, and many others come immediately to mind. Just dig in and and have fun learning how to use the amazing Axe.

Last edited:
Hello gentlemen. I am the new owner of an AxeFX II XL+. I through read the manual, but it doesn't seem entirely straightforward in some regards. I plan to use computer speakers through the headphone jack until my active monitors, mixer, and audio interface comes in. I've watched some intro videos, but not really anything describing how to set the amp so it can be used with its FX return as a power amp for the AxeFX. What settings need to be changed in the AxeFX to make it sound good? What are some other practical things I should know about the AxeFX got get a good start? Thanks in advance.

Which amp?

Greetings @KAM and welcome aboard!

As fellow forumite but greater expert than I, @Geezerjohn, has already mentioned, you will need a special cable to go from your AFX to your Return Loop of your amp (assuming it is a guitar amp head/combo). It is important you use a humbuster cable (check your manual, it explains how to make one or you can buy it from Fractal) as this reduces the hum that will naturally occur.

I run output 2 to the effects return of a Line 6 Flextone II XL. It works great. If you are just playing at home, then run output 1 to the effects return. Use a TRS Y cable so you can get both sides of the stereo field.

When I cannot go direct to FOH, I use this method with a humbuster cable into a normal Marshall tube amp return loop, and it is very good at killing the hum, the results are perfect for home or playing live.

I think what you're asking is you want to use a real guitar amp as a power amp so you can play over a real guitar cabinet? Is that correct?

Can you explain your set up a little more in detail? You mention that you're going to play through computer speakers and an audio interface, but you're talking about using a power amp, also. Those two things should never mix or you'll damage equipment.

Well there are a few things I need to do. First of all, I have a Friedman which is now my only amp and my main amp. I bought the Fractal for practice and intermediate recording. I plan to use my Friedman to do the final recordings once I get the songs down well enough. In any case, I ordered these things:

Torpedo Captor
Torpedo CAB
UR22 audio interface
Powered PA
Active studio monitors

I'll be using the Torpedo stuff for my Friedman. I'll be using the studio monitors for my AxeFX, but using the active PA with my AxeFX when I play out. I like having different options. Sometimes I'll be lugging my AxeFX into the livingroom to play through headphones or computer speakers. Whatever the case, I'm trying to get setup for different options. I also want to explore using my amp as a tube power amp for the AxeFX into a miced cab.

Greetings @KAM and welcome aboard!

As fellow forumite but greater expert than I, @Geezerjohn, has already mentioned, you will need a special cable to go from your AFX to your Return Loop of your amp (assuming it is a guitar amp head/combo). It is important you use a humbuster cable (check your manual, it explains how to make one or you can buy it from Fractal) as this reduces the hum that will naturally occur.

When I cannot go direct to FOH, I use this method with a humbuster cable into a normal Marshall tube amp return loop, and it is very good at killing the hum, the results are perfect for home or playing live.

Thanks. I wasn't sure it was actually necessary as there were some sections that talked about reducing noise. I thought maybe as long as I'm not juicing the input levels or gain too much then a regular guitar cable would work.

Well there are a few things I need to do. First of all, I have a Friedman which is now my only amp and my main amp. I bought the Fractal for practice and intermediate recording. I plan to use my Friedman to do the final recordings once I get the songs down well enough. In any case, I ordered these things:

Torpedo Captor
Torpedo CAB
UR22 audio interface
Powered PA
Active studio monitors

I'll be using the Torpedo stuff for my Friedman. I'll be using the studio monitors for my AxeFX, but using the active PA with my AxeFX when I play out. I like having different options. Sometimes I'll be lugging my AxeFX into the livingroom to play through headphones or computer speakers. Whatever the case, I'm trying to get setup for different options. I also want to explore using my amp as a tube power amp for the AxeFX into a miced cab.

Ok got it. So back to your original question.

To use your Friedman as a power amp for the guitar cabinet, make sure your Friedman is turned off and hooked up to your guitar cab.

Run a regular instrument cable from Axe FX's Output 1 Left (on the back) to the FX Return on the Friedman.

Make sure you turn off 1) Power Amp modeling on the Axe FX Global Settings and 2) Cabinet Modeling on the Axe FX Global Settings.

Turn down the Master Volume on the Friedman and turn down the Axe FX Output 1 volume. Now turn on the Friedman. Turn up the Master Volume on the Friendman a little bit. Now SLOWLY turn up the volume on the Axe FX Output 1 knob. Adjust to taste. Now you're using the Friedman as a power amp for the cab. You will not have anything plugged into the front input of the Friedman.

Last edited:
Ok got it. So back to your original question.

To use your Friedman as a power amp for the guitar cabinet, make sure your Friedman is turned off and hooked up to your guitar cab.

Run a regular instrument cable from Axe FX's Output 1 Left (on the back) to the FX Return on the Friedman.

Make sure you turn off 1) Power Amp modeling on the Axe FX Global Settings and 2) Cabinet Modeling on the Axe FX Global Settings.

Turn down the Master Volume on the Friedman and turn down the Axe FX Output 1 volume. Now turn on the Friedman. Turn up the Master Volume on the Friendman a little bit. Now SLOWLY turn up the volume on the Axe FX Output 1 knob. Adjust to taste. Now you're playing you're using the Friedman as a power amp for the cab. You will not have anything plugged into the front input of the Friedman.

Thanks. I appreciate the explanation. Can't wait to hook it up!

An alternative approach, if you want to use both the Friedman's pre-amp and power amp, is to run a cable from Axe FX Send to the input of the amp. Connect the speaker output of the Friedman to your load-box (the Captor - this step is critical), making sure the impedance is matched, and then run from its DI out to the Axe FX's FX Return. Your guitar goes in the front instrument input on the Axe FX as normal.

I've used this method with stellar results on my Carol-Ann Triptik using the cabinet simulation in the Axe, as well as effects both pre and and post amp (it's a bit like the 4 cable method). However, you have to ensure that:

1. your Axe FX preset has the FX loop enabled
2. you need to carefully adjust the levels from the Axe FX loop's send and return using the Out 2 volume and the inputs on the I/O screen
3. as noted above, you will almost certainly need some kind of ground lift device (the excellent Fractal humbuster cables - which I use) between the Axe FX's output and your amp's input. I've also used the Radial Stagebug SB-6 with good results too.
4. YOU MUST HAVE A LOAD ON YOUR AMP'S SPEAKER OUTPUT or you will do serious damage to your amp.

There are some videos of Pete Thorn using this approach with the Helix (ahem). Thanks also to forum member JayCM800XL for helping me get this sorted.

Fellow Newby!! (I've had mine less than 30 days...)

I run my XL+ into two tube amps through the each amp's effects loop RETURN, like you are planning. Biggest three things (that I have found so far) to adjust on the Fractal is the "Power Amp", "Cabinet" modeling and the "OUT 1" tab's EQ. All three are in the Global button on the front panel. For a real amp, I turn cab modeling OFF (for sure!). I've had mixed results with the Power Amp modeling. Some I like better with it ON, others I like a little more when it is OFF. While you have the Global open, hit PAGE > to get to the "OUT 1" tab. From there, you can fine tune the EQ to bring out the best in your real cab. Although, it IS a Global EQ - the perfect EQ on one preset isn't the best on another. So, a better way is to go into Axe Edit and EQ each amp (or deep-dive from the front panel), but the Global EQ works great and quickly.

I've been changing my hook-up method every couple of days until I settle-in to a favorite. I've been a little reluctant to save a lot of changes until I figure out the long-run set-up, hence playing with the global EQ. Today was XL+ into a Crown XLS2000 stereo power amp into a Marshall JCM900 4x12 cab and it was awesome! I go through headphones quite a bit, so I've gotten familiar with tweaking the amp/cab settings to match the hook-ups. Favorite so far is XL+ into effects loop RETURN only of two tube amps (with power amp and cab modeling OFF). Great amp-in-the-room sound from every preset. The 10-band EQ on the Global Out 1 tab makes for excellent "quick tone tuning." The thing I missed initially was using the NAV buttons to "move" the ABCD knobs to the different sliders for quicker tuning.

If you end up running two real amps for a stereo rig (or if you get hum with a single amp), I recommend a Radial Engineering ABY pedal to kill the inevitable 60-cycle hum. They are reasonably priced (new and used!) and widely available. They have three switches for an isolation transformer, ground lift and polarity 180. I'm sure there are several other brands that have a similar function, but the Radial pedal is what I use. And: no power required! You can leave it hooked up without worrying about batteries or wall warts. Newer ones have LEDs that do require power, but if you don't need the lights, it works fine without power.

My tube amps (Lee Jackson-modded Ampegs: VL-series) both have attenuators on them. Running those definitely lowers the "idle" noise and hiss. With the effects loop RETURN only method, usually only the volume and maybe presence or reverb controls on the amp will function, so there's not too much to adjust on the amp. Caution: the amp volume will be extremely touchy! Everything else is "usually" (some amps are different) in the pre-amp, which you are bypassing. I ran it into the PRS Archon (no attenuator) and it got a little "woolly" with the noise and sensitivity of the XL+ volume. If you feel like the effects loop RETURN is a little out of control on your amp, try the four-cable method (4CM) instead. Or, spend $200 for a used class-D (very lightweight) stereo power amp and run it into a stereo guitar cab! Most guitar 4x12s are 300-watters, so you don't need a massive power amp. Quick note: most power amps you find are rated for the "bridged mono" wattage when used with a certain ohm-value speaker(s). Splitting them into stereo 'normally" cuts that number by half and then is further decreased by the ohm of the speakers. I think the higher the ohms of the speaker, the less power is put to them. So, a 1000-watt power amp might be 500 per side in stereo, but only 200 (or less) per side if you use 16-ohm speaker cabs. That's a HUGELY simplified explanation and is probably more "concept" than fact. But it gives you more questions to ask... Ha!

It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on this stuff, but I always post a "spelled out" version for other newby users who may not have your knowledge or skill. I know I've picked up stuff from posts that were YEARS old. Ha!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom