Advice about using the Looper

Superior Drummer 3 on the PC, into the USB block, into the looper, = AWESOME!

I have Logic X and it comes with a drummer that probably isn't as good as yours, but it is OK for me. I would have two options: (a) I could run it as you suggest, where the drums are captured in the looper (via USB), or (b) I could use Logic as the "looper" and just record there. One advantage of recording in Logic is that I could save the recordings more easily, but it does seem like it would be a little more effort, and the looper is all about being quick/easy with little barrier to use. What would you suggest in the case of Logic?

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/

I have Logic X and it comes with a drummer that probably isn't as good as yours, but it is OK for me. I would have two options: (a) I could run it as you suggest, where the drums are captured in the looper (via USB), or (b) I could use Logic as the "looper" and just record there. One advantage of recording in Logic is that I could save the recordings more easily, but it does seem like it would be a little more effort, and the looper is all about being quick/easy with little barrier to use. What would you suggest in the case of Logic?

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/
I’d choose the looper in the Axe no question.....because at least for me controlling it with the FC is just cake. As far as using drums with the looper, once you capture a loop, you will have to stop the sample coming from your DAW, because they won’t be in time with the drums in the loop, but that’s using any DAW I’m sure. Once you get a drum loop and shut the DAW drums off, then the fun starts with dubbing guitar parts on your loop all using the FC. Been spending lots of time enjoying this lately.

I put the looper neither at the beginning or the end of the chain.
I put it almost at the end, but before some time based effects that are common to all the sounds of the song/impro I am playing (mainly delays and reverb).
This allow a very nice natural cut when you stop the loop (ie : the reverb and delays are going to resonate after you cut the loop). It makes the loops integrate much more naturally to the song.
For me it is one of the most powerful thing about the looper within the axe, to be able to put it anywhere in the chain.

I've utilized it for a whole song live before. It would be great if you could save the loops and arrange them as you'd like. With the length available it would be awesome.....but that's another thread.
I have a Boomerang III with Sidecar and wondering if I'll need it at this point. I don't have a need to build up layers live and haven't used it too much. Only really for coming up with 2nd guitar parts when not behind the laptop. I just got the Axe Fx III (still in the box :eek:) and need to figure of my old gear what to keep and what to sell.

I have a Boomerang III with Sidecar and wondering if I'll need it at this point. I don't have a need to build up layers live and haven't used it too much. Only really for coming up with 2nd guitar parts when not behind the laptop. I just got the Axe Fx III (still in the box :eek:) and need to figure of my old gear what to keep and what to sell.
You won't need it if that's all you use the Boomerang for.

Question about this....I have SD and I did add a USB in....however how are you triggering SD inside the the looper block? Is this going midi?
Nope…..I was just starting the drum sample with the mouse, capturing a few bars of the drums with the looper, stopping the drum sample (SD) with the mouse, and from there it’s just you and the FC. :)

Nope…..I was just starting the drum sample with the mouse, capturing a few bars of the drums with the looper, stopping the drum sample (SD) with the mouse, and from there it’s just you and the FC. :)
Hmm....ok. Maybe it is an audio thing I my end the AF looper doesn't capture the SD loop.

Ok, turns out I have built a new i9 pc since then….lol. Reinstalled SD3 and mine was not captured in the looper either, until I changed
the audio settings in the newly installed SD3 to asio, and then chose outputs number 7 and 8 of the U block also in SD3.
After making these changes it works just as I remember…..awesome!

Ok, turns out I have built a new i9 pc since then….lol. Reinstalled SD3 and mine was not captured in the looper either, until I changed
the audio settings in the newly installed SD3 to asio, and then chose outputs number 7 and 8 of the U block also in SD3.
After making these changes it works just as I remember…..awesome!
I will give that a try...

Any luck with this? Now having this set up again had me up late last night jamming…….hated to turn it off!
You know, I actually did not. For some reason, I cannot get the AF to recognize SD. But in all honesty it is not exactly what I am trying to do. Really I was working on a project to loop on the fly and keyboard on/off with SD isn't going to work. I was actually trying to avoid the 1000 Aeros/Beatbuddy route for this event....but. I did have and use the Donner Circle Looper with pretty good results, but you get a tad limited with drum sounds, but honestly they are not too bad and in fact if the drum groove in a loop gets that complex it almost better to just use Protools - but then you have the midi issue. It is kind of a nit with me regarding the AF looper and integration - which "here I go again" lol....will hopefully get there at some point. I might check out the Mooer Groove. Seems like a lower cost alternative - but means an external looper.

A neat trick is to shunt off the looper on the row below your guitar sound. Use only a mixer block Infront. Then use a send block at the end of the chain and put a return block. At the third row.

After the looper, you could use 2 volume blocks. One lead back into your amp, and one goes straight to output.
Then you can choose where you want the looper at any given time.

Just be careful so you don't send an amped signal back into the amp (again) or just sending the di to an output. (Unless that is really what you intend to do, witch in my case is never) I use this to tweak amps, test levels and of course looping.

When using for looping i can decide if I want to loop infinity, or if I want to tweak the sound. I find it useful both ways.

I've got it set up with a controll switch. Bypass state is in front of the amp. Engaged is at the end of the chain.

Back
Top Bottom