Advice about headphones for FM3

If you do use an amp be careful - can get way to loud - its a balancing act turn preset down before trying to be on safe side - I use a global volume expression pedal

I need to add I use this freeware for PC only - this gives the amp more power in windows - without it I did find the amp subdued

Also nice read here on this amp

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/emotiva-a-100.825970/
Since you are using Sonarworks, you are most likely just adding extra gain that will drive some frequencies to clipping. It may not be particularly audible clipping though.

The way the Sonarworks profiles work is that they try to correct the frequency response and this might mean boosting some frequencies significantly. This can lead to clipping so they drop the overall level to avoid overdriving your output.

You would get the same result by disabling the safe headroom option and increasing gain in the Sonarworks app.

The best solution would be to just turn up the amp more without this extra gain.

Hi thanks - I have played with sonarworks eq but its very subtle - I will paly more with it - thanks for the input - that APO program is a great free utility

Can you tell me which settings would be best to play with in FM3 edit to get more sustain ? just got frets done and it seems like less sustain now :( thanks Buddy

Also plugins won't actually fix the problem if it is impediance based like if your headphones are too heavy for the FM3 or PC to drive.
You need an actual physical unit to fix that as you won't give the headphones the power they need to operate at an ideal level meaning bass response will be saggy and weak and treble very weak too. Undetailed mids. COMPARATIVELY to properly driven phones.

I wanna take moment to thank you all and for all the help so I really appreciate all the advice. I have one final question and I will make a purchase either today or tommorrow, Beyerdynamic 990 pro with how many ohms? Or the Akg 702? I’m a guitar player who plays alot of different genres that loves to make a huge soundscape sounds or even plays different tunings on 6 string to 8 string guitars so what is the best option for me? Also feel free to give me more suggestions since I am in a budget at the current moment so $250 is the most I can spend really for now.

I just ordered a Beyerdynamic DT880 from Sweetwater yesterday, mainly choosing them since they are semi open back, since I didn't want to hear any acoustic sounds from my guitar when playing pitch-changed presets. I'll only be using them for playing thru the Axe 3, as opposed to recording. I'm not going to buy any FRFR gear at this time, so I'll use the headphones to see how the modelling capabilities of the Axe really sound, since I'm running mine through a tube amp and guitar cabs. If you wanna wait a few days, I'll report back as to how they sound.

mainly choosing them since they are semi open back, since I didn't want to hear any acoustic sounds from my guitar when playing pitch-changed presets
Whether they are open, closed or semi-opened should have no bearing on hearing the acoustic sound of your guitar.

Where do you guys keep your volumes on the Global EQ and Output 1 knob? I run the Global gain slider down about 6db and the Output anywhere between 5-20 depending on the preset. I play the FM3 nice and low but I blast my CD's.(yes this old fart still plays CD's).

Where do you guys keep your volumes on the Global EQ and Output 1 knob? I run the Global gain slider down about 6db and the Output anywhere between 5-20 depending on the preset. I play the FM3 nice and low but I blast my CD's.(yes this old fart still plays CD's).
After getting the DT880's I mentioned (which to the OP, I do like, btw) and setting the EQ correction curve from the github site I was pointed to, the volume on the global EQ is -7.5 (I just followed the exact Graphic EQ settings shown, including the Level fader), and the output 1 knob is @ noon. But I'm on the Axe Fx, so not sure how that would translate (prob same.)

Uh, yes they do. I wasn't sure before buying them, but now I know. It's slight, but you can definitely hear it.
That is surprising... I definitely don't.

To confirm, I am referring to the acoustic sound on a non-amplified electric guitar.

Unpopular opinion- no one pair of headphones is the "be-all end-all" or headphones. Each pair works differently with each person, and you just have to try things out to see what works for you and your setup. Even the best most "flat" headphones aren't perfectly flat, otherwise all "flat" headphones would sound the exact same, and there would be no difference between different brands of these headphones.

I use a pair of CCA C10s with my AxeFx, and after a month or so of getting them to be comfortable in my ear and breaking in the speaker, I love them. Adding a correction curve in the global EQ (thanks autoEQ), and I get a great sound that I'm confident in, and I love the tones I can get because of it. Similarly, I use Audio-Technica ATH M-20x's for my desktop rig, and get great results from them too. I also use a correction curve (autoEQ and Equalizer APO), and love the way it sounds and feels. Both of these headphones are inexpensive, but I like how they work for me. I can get decent tones and decent mixes, no problem.

I'm in no way a hi-fi expert, but the headphone amps in my AxeFx II and Scarlett 2i2 seem to work great, with plenty of headroom for both headphones, I have no complaints. Try out what headphones work for you, try some EQ, see what happens.

I play louder than say, I watch TV, or a conversation. But I also practice sitting, so that puts me closer to the guitar. But I'm careful to not play so loud that I have even slight ringing in my ears when I'm done, even after say, 3-4 hours. I don't need to make my hearing any worse than it is, now that I have headphones!

But for anyone considering headphones, that uses the virtual capo, I'd recommend not buying open-back.

Back
Top Bottom