Adjusting settings for FOH vs Atomic Cabs vs using both

I know with a guitar amp, it is recommended to omit the cab/mic block as this coloring will be redundant. Although they are tube amps, the Atomic cabs seem to definitely benefit from "AXE cabinets and mics”. I may sometimes use AXE with just Atomic Cabs, or sometimes just FOH, or sometimes both combined.

1) I am considering just using just OUTPUT1 to send the same feed to the AtomicCabs and solid-state FOH system.

-or-

2) Is anyone leveraging “OUTPUT2” to send one feed to AMP and another feed to FOH?

-or-

3) Does anyone find it necessary to build duplicate patches, 1 for FOH and another for onstage amp?

I will be experimenting with these, but as far as I can see, it might just be as simple as (1)"just using just OUTPUT1 to send the same feed to the AtomicCabs and solid-state FOH system"

I know with a guitar amp, it is recommended to omit the cab/mic block as this coloring will be redundant. Although they are tube amps, the Atomic cabs seem to definitely benefit from "AXE cabinets and mics”. I may sometimes use AXE with just Atomic Cabs, or sometimes just FOH, or sometimes both combined.

1) I am considering just using just OUTPUT1 to send the same feed to the AtomicCabs and solid-state FOH system.

-or-

2) Is anyone leveraging “OUTPUT2” to send one feed to AMP and another feed to FOH?

-or-

3) Does anyone find it necessary to build duplicate patches, 1 for FOH and another for onstage amp?

I will be experimenting with these, but as far as I can see, it might just be as simple as (1)"just using just OUTPUT1 to send the same feed to the AtomicCabs and solid-state FOH system"

1" all the way bro. Been doing it this way for years now. Never looked back. (waiting on the new CLR stuff from Atomic)

-or-

-or-

Atomic stuff is neutral so #1 would be the way to go.

If you want to control (on the Axe) the volume of the signal through the Atomics separately from the feed to FOH, connect the Atomics to OUT2 and enable Copy Out1 to Out2.

Thanks Guys. This is what i was hoping to hear. I imagine someone using a traditional guitar amp + FOH would need have a separate output (or create separate patches), but it sounds like from what you are all saying the atomics blend nicely with FOH.

Every FOH and room will be different, so you might want to run the two outputs separately anyway so you can use global EQ to tweak your Atomic feed and your FOH separately to suit different venues. Or if you want output 2 for something else and you're only running mono signals, you could set up the chain to split to left and right at the end, put in EQs if you want that control on each, and just run one side to your Atomic and one to the FOH.

I've got an Atomic passive wedge, and just very recently started running a traditional 2x12 instead (although still trying to find what speakers I want). I ran my poweramp/Atomic off output 2 anyway so I could just leave output 1 open for FOH or other uses and be able to easily EQ to two separately without having to set it up in the actual grid.

Only just starting with the 2x12, but I'm thinking I'll stick with that and probably reassign the wedge to being just a monitor that I can put the violinist through and maybe a bit of my guitar if I need it. Or I might just run it as another stage cab and run IRs on that side. The wonderful thing about the Axe is that you have all these options available to do what you want. :)

Atomic stuff is neutral so #1 would be the way to go.
Several guys "in the know" used quite a few EQ adjustments on them though... (Simeon, Admin M@, ...)
With these adjustments, playing a CD through them definitely sounds more neutral to me.

Some consider them much more neutral used passively (dupere?)

I don't have the Global EQ adjustments handy. Would expect them to be in the wiki, but you're making me doubt that now... ;)

Several guys "in the know" used quite a few EQ adjustments on them though... (Simeon, Admin M@, ...)
With these adjustments, playing a CD through them definitely sounds more neutral to me.

Some consider them much more neutral used passively (dupere?)

I don't have the Global EQ adjustments handy. Would expect them to be in the wiki, but you're making me doubt that now... ;)

We ran a backing track through the Axe into my Atomic and I found I had to add in some filtering to bring the lower end down a fair bit. I would call them more "neutral-ish". I wouldn't expect a sound set up to sound as you want through an Atomic to translate perfectly when you go FOH. That said, I wouldn't expect a sound dialed in perfectly to suit one FOH setup to translate perfectly at the next venue you go to.

I think it's close enough that you could make it work through any reasonable FOH system, but it's why I'd suggest making use of the Axe's flexibility and either running the two feeds from separate outputs to use two separate global EQs, or if you're just going mono and using L/R for each feed, work similar tweaking options into the grid. The former would probably be easier, unless you only run a few patches anyway. If you're running a wide range of patches, that's a lot of tweaking in each one every time you get to a venue and find you do need to make some tweaks.

We ran a backing track through the Axe into my Atomic and I found I had to add in some filtering to bring the lower end down a fair bit. I would call them more "neutral-ish".
There's also a region somewhere in the mids that's hyped, which is why ppl agree they tend to sound so good for guitar. So if you're making your sounds for FOH on them, it may well turn out you've added not nearly enough of those mids, I would guess...

i used to run two atomics from output 1 and go to front of house through output 2 (copy out 1 to out2 = on)

for the foh feed, i used to drop the very top and bottom on the global eq. a lot of pa's seem to have excessive highs and lows

for the atomic feed, i dropped the low eq a bit and then dipped the upper mids. i controlled the very top end with the tweeter control on the atomics themselves

on the ultra, i had the global eq set up like this - -4, 0, 1, 0, 0, -3, -5, 0, 0 - remember the ultra has one less eq band at the top and bottom, so this is 63hz to 8khz. i got this setting from playing music through them and trying to get them as flat as possible

Back
Top Bottom