Wish Adjust/Set the Metronome Output via the Foot Controller Switches

Alex Kerezy

Inspired
Hi,
I wish - that the on/volume level for the metronome could be attached to control switches on the foot controller (like other "knobs" and/or "switches" on the effects can).

Use Case: Sometimes I play with a keyboard or guitar and I would like to have the metronome turned on/off with the foot switch. I play violin so I have no free hands. With the AMAZING ability to go from layout to layout on the Axe FC, I have plenty of open switches.

P L E A S E - if this makes the cut, I realize there are kind of two aspects 1) having the metronome on/off and then 2) the volume of it. Since there isn't a way to make a single expression pedal do double duty; please add in an on/off control switch for the metronome and keep the volume expression control separate.

Thanks!

Reactions: FSM
P L E A S E - if this makes the cut, I realize there are kind of two aspects 1) having the metronome on/off and then 2) the volume of it. Since there isn't a way to make a single expression pedal do double duty; please add in an on/off control switch for the metronome and keep the volume expression control separate.

Thanks!
If it were a block then you could do both via auto-engage.

IMO, it would also be cool to be able to assign the metronome output to a specified output for IEM routing to the rest of a band in a live setting.

I have set up an FC6 next to my FC 12 and out of the gate, I have the FC6 handling all of the looper duties. If we could turn the metronome on and off with a foot switch, I would love to put that on my FC6 so I could enable the metronome before recording the first track and then turn it off right after.

I’ll second the big PLEASE on this one haha!

Ah man, I just realized this isn't possible, after I basically promised our band members I could do it. I'll THIRD the BIG PLEASE on this one!!!

I figured out a way to do this on my axe fx iii, and it works Great!

I had a normal signal chain from my guitar (input 1) to the main xlr l/r outs (Out1)... all my effects, amp & cab etc. are in that signal chain.

I ran an xlr cable from output 2 L on the back of the unit, to Input 2 left on the back of the unit.

Now in axe edit, in Controllers, I set the volume of the metronome on Output 2 to 0 db.

Then I inserted the Input 2 block on a new row, connected it to a volume block, and connected the output of the volume block to Out1 which is at the end of the guitar's signal chain. Now take a minute to set the max volume of the metronome by using the Out 2 level knob on the front of the unit.

Finally, set the modifier for the volume control of the volume block to be fc 1 pedal 1 (or this could be a control switch or whatever you want to use). This works for bringing the metronome in and out when you want.

Since my plan is to use a pedal or switch to bring the metronome in and out of an iem setup, I instead am connecting the output of the volume block mentioned earlier to Out 3. I ran an instrument cable from output 3 L on the back of the amp to a channel on our live sound mixer that will be mixed into iem's but not the main foh speakers. Finally, I used the output 3 level control on the front of the unit to send the proper amount of signal to the live sound mixer.

I'll cross post this on another thread, probably tips & tricks or something, but since you all wished for it, I wanted to get this idea out to you!

Last edited:
You can use the Synth block as a makeshift Metronome as a workaround. Assign an LFO modifier to the voice level parameter of the Synth block and turn attack and release both down to zero. In the LFO controller settings, set it to a Square wave, set the tempo to 1/4 notes, and set the Duty Cycle to 98%. Back in the Synth block, set Track to Off and tweak the Synth voice 1 type and frequency parameters to get the click or beep sound you want. Use the level parameter of the synth block to control the metronome level and bypass the block to turn it off.

You can use the Synth block as a makeshift Metronome as a workaround. Assign an LFO modifier to the voice level parameter of the Synth block and turn attack and release both down to zero. In the LFO controller settings, set it to a Square wave, set the tempo to 1/4 notes, and set the Duty Cycle to 98%. Back in the Synth block, set Track to Off and tweak the Synth voice 1 type and frequency parameters to get the click or beep sound you want. Use the level parameter of the synth block to control the metronome level and bypass the block to turn it off.
See above, I found a more straightforward way to do it. I actually spent way too long trying to find a way to do it with synths but I couldn’t find a way to set the lfo rate to tempo. I must have just missed it early on and started trying to accomplish it with a delay. Actually sort of had it going but when I changed the tempo the volume would go crazy. Anyhow, I’m pretty pleased with the solution I came up with instead. ^^ Thanks for trying to help though, I’m going to try that out as well just for kicks!

Look up 4 posts prior ... there is already a way to accomplish this! :)
I understand ty, but a hefty workaround does not invalidate a very reasonable QOL request :)

or.. if we never added any features we would still be strumming a Lute and wearing wierd shoes...lol

Reactions: Rex
+1
One way would just to open metronum volume to modifier : you could then attach it to a CS for on/off control, or an expression pedal for volume, or a scene controller to change metronum volum across scenes. Would be simple and awesome.
I use the synth method at the moment, works good but uses cpu that I could use somewhere else.

Hi,
I wish - that the on/volume level for the metronome could be attached to control switches on the foot controller (like other "knobs" and/or "switches" on the effects can).

Use Case: Sometimes I play with a keyboard or guitar and I would like to have the metronome turned on/off with the foot switch. I play violin so I have no free hands. With the AMAZING ability to go from layout to layout on the Axe FC, I have plenty of open switches.

Thanks!
It was possible on the AX8 (external switch - Metronome Output on/off) but I don't know how to get it work on the new units.

Back
Top Bottom