Additional Out To A Half Stack Amp?

My XiTone cab feels like a regular cab on stage. Period... I can actually make it bite more like a reg cab by upping my 8k on global eq... Jus sayin..

Keep all your settings, don't change a thing, get a 12" XiTone wedge and have Singy-pants pay for it! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UPDATE: So I managed to play the show without using a cab, but the band's leader noticed and is now requiring me to use one. So in the future, I figure I'll take Output 2 (which is "Echoing" Output 1) into the effects loop RETURN of the venue's half stack amp, and run into the cab that way. My dilemma (as you've probably guessed): I want to keep cab and power amp modeling ON for Output 1, which I will send direct to FOH. But I want Output 2 to have cab and power amp modeling OFF.

Right now, without having that option available, I've whipped up an awful looking (and sounding) smiley face EQ curve on the Global EQ for Output 2 to try and compensate for the fact that I'm going through a cabinet twice (IR and a 4x12 cab onstage). But it's not a true solution, and I still can't do anything about my signal going through a "power amp" twice (Axe's power amp modeling and the half stack's power amp section).

Re-arranging the preset just doesn't sound as good for the OUT that I'm sending to the mixing board. I tried the standard tricks: putting all my delay, reverb, chorus, and flanger blocks before the cab block and sending an out to Output 2 before it hits the cab block. But that just doesn't have the same tonal richness when coming through the FOH as having those effects AFTER the cab block.

I've made a thread in the wish list forum but, unfortunately, it's only that right now: a wish. And until I can figure out a solution to this problem, I'll be stuck with a subpar stage tone, going through a cab and power amp twice. :-|

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-wish-list/101629-wish-output-2-option-disable-cab-power-amp-modeling.html
Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but have you thought about... you know ... leaving the band? Your band leader seems to be a control-freak. And nothing good emerges from this ever. It's only a matter of time that your band will break apart with a personality like this in charge. I assume the other guys in your group are awesome? In this case, maybe meet up with them and discuss this matter ... there's something clearly wrong in your setup, if your band leader doesn't respect your oppinion.

On topic:
Don't overestimate the influence of the power amp. Yes, using FXL in parallel to a cab block will still not get rid of the poweramp modelling, but it isn't actually that important. Just get rid of the "double cab" problem by using the FXL and effects pre-cab and don't worry about the poweramp modelling for now.
You still have the option to get a solid state poweramp, if you want to improve on this.

if you worry about poweramp modelling that much, you can also just use two amp blocks in parallel, one with poweramp modelling enabled and one with poweramp modelling disabled and then route them into cab/FXL seperately.

A singer who wants you to use a bigger cab to crank the volume up and blow the ears of the first rows in the audience. That must be a dream. Usual singers don't care at all...they care about vocals only.

If you take a 4x12 to stage anyway, then there's no need for an additional direct signal with a cab simulation. I'd then use the axe-fx as a preamp with effects and put a mic at in front of the cab.

Last edited:
Not to derail, but for the sake of your spinal column, I might recommend you take a look at a pair of NL12 2x12s.They're light and loud (not full range).

UPDATE: So I managed to play the show without using a cab, but the band's leader noticed and is now requiring me to use one. So in the future, I figure I'll take Output 2 (which is "Echoing" Output 1) into the effects loop RETURN of the venue's half stack amp, and run into the cab that way. My dilemma (as you've probably guessed): I want to keep cab and power amp modeling ON for Output 1, which I will send direct to FOH. But I want Output 2 to have cab and power amp modeling OFF.

Seems like you need a second AXEFX with same preset, amp and cab disable... split guitar signal, axefx 1 to FOH, axefx 2 to amp/cab.

UPDATE:
Re-arranging the preset just doesn't sound as good for the OUT that I'm sending to the mixing board. I tried the standard tricks: putting all my delay, reverb, chorus, and flanger blocks before the cab block and sending an out to Output 2 before it hits the cab block. But that just doesn't have the same tonal richness when coming through the FOH as having those effects AFTER the cab block.
[/URL]

I would find a way to make this work. I dont know why the sound would change that much by putting them before the cab instead of after.

This is basically how I have my presets. I have my pre-gain effects, then the amp, then my post-gain effects, then I split the signal. The top signal goes cab, then reverb then out to output 1, and the bottom split is a graphic EQ, then FX loop output 2 to amp/cab. The graphic EQ is just for fine-tuning the sound to the amp. For my cabs I usually need to scoop the signal some to sound similar to the direct tone.

I also think that you dont want that Echo Output 1 option enabled.

Back
Top Bottom