Adding Sub ?

levipeto

Fractal Fanatic
I brought this up before, that If you want the 412 feel with FRFR, you need to add subwoofer.

I know I know the guitar sound should not be mixed in the subs in the PA etc, but it’s different.

I am talking about extending more definition to the low resonance, that a 412 cab would have.

Add a sub, just turn it up that you can barely hear it.

This is for the recreating the 412 feel in the bedroom and rehearsal, not on stage.

I have 2 CLRs and a Turbosound sub.

Last edited:
Interesting. Does it really make a difference? Using FRFR, you would use IRs, which are mic'ed cab. Usually live or in the studio there would be a high pass between 80Hz to 120Hz or even higher sometimes.
The sub crossover is in that area too, I know most of them default at 80Hz. So if you're high passed at 100hz and you add a sub crossed over at 80Hz, it wouldn't get much audio through it...

It does the magic.
Yes ,you need to have control over the crossover, but still:
Depending on the IR :70-120Hz where most of the low resonance frequencies are so yes you can hear it.

Of course your FRFR speaker can produce let's say 40hz and above, yet it because of the size of the speaker it won't have the small amount "rumbling" which is not a good word since it shouldn't be loud., but just a touch

Last edited:
Usually live or in the studio there would be a high pass between 80Hz to 120Hz or even higher sometimes.

Exactly, that's why I emphasized that it's for at home "in the room" and rehearsal mimicking the 412 cab. and not on stage

Hi all,

I have two CLR NEOs in stereo for home use mainly. They are fine for guitar. However I also play backing tracks through them to jam with. I understand if I were to add a sub the sub needs to have "matching" cross over networks ?? compatible to the CLR.

Can anyone help by suggesting a quality (in keeping with the CLRs) sub please ?

Jay Mitchell if you are "listening in"....Thanks

Your sub most likely will have built in crossover. You can use that.

What is your budget and size preference?

Hi Levipeto, thanks for replying. I found a thread on the Gear Page where a gent has used a Mackie DLM 12" Subwoofer reporting great results when used with two Atomic CLR NEOs. My budget is unto $2000. I just found a Mackie Floor stock model (retails for $2600 Australian Dollars) going for $1699. So going to go over and get it ... I think !!

I recently had to buy a new sub and I did some research.
Check out Turbosound iQ subs (I bought the iQ18B). It got better reviews than other more expensive known brands.

I am sure the Mackie is great as well

Hi Levipeto, I went out and got the Mackie DML12S Subwoofer. It is apparent there are a number of ways the Atomic NEOs (I have two) can / should be connected to the CLRs. I am seeking some assistance as I have not done this before and want to check before I inadvertently blow up the DLM 12S.

My connections without the Mackie Sub currently are as follows.
Guitar in direct to the Instrument Panel of the Fractal Audio Axe FX XL.
Fractal audio Axe FX Rear output 1 and 2 to the input channels 1 & 2 of a Yamaha compact mixer (MG06x).
Mixer Main Outputs Left and Right using XLRs to the Input 1 of each CLR.
Macbook Pro Laptop headphone out (stereo) to Left and right channels of Input 3 & 4 of the Yamaha Mixer.

Now adding the sub, do I just keep everything as above and just add two XLR cables out from the back of each of the CLRs (with the sub switch engaged) one each to inout A & B of the Mackie sub ??

OR

Do I take the main outs (L&R) from the mixer straight to the single Mackie Sub, then link for the sub to each of the CLR inputs ?This doesn't seem right !!

Help please. Thanks

I got a sub to my home studio room about 6 months ago and I have to say it's been one of the best purchases I've ever done. First of all there's a lot of sub content in songs that I have been missing throughout these years that I now realize has a huge impact on making some parts epic and energetic.

I got the Behringer NEKKST K10S that's designed by KRK so just a cheap one but still I have no idea how I was ever able to mix kick, bass, guitar, snare etc. without getting a neutral representation of what's happening in the lower frequencies.

Like someone said in this thread already you might feel like turning it all the way up but that's not wise as you're only adding a sub to increase the spectrum you're hearing, not to emphasize the low end. When set properly it's a tool that helps a lot. I can easily turn it off if I need to but I feel lost if I do so. I feel like with the sub I can tell the difference between a good and bad mix easier. Still there are awesome mixes out there that were done without even a sub test so it all has to do with learning to hear with your system.

Ok, so I hooked up the Mackie sub (DLM 12S) straight out of the CLR NEO Link XLR output to the input 1 and 2 of the Mackie sub. Switched the crossover on the sub to "variable" 60 Hz, set the levels right on my compact mixer and gently turned up the master level on the mixer to pure low end heaven !!! As the music room is relatively small (14' x 12') I had to turn the level on the sub to -4 db. I now have a nice low end "thud/thump" in the back ground to me mp3 backing tracks. Even better when I playback FLAC files using VLC as the player.

Alls well. The quality of the sound is phenomenal when paired with the two CLR NEOs. I will post pictures soon.

I just reread yor post. You might want to try to go stereo into the sub and out of the sub into the CLRs.. This way the crossove will cut the the lows for the clrs.

I just reread yor post. You might want to try to go stereo into the sub and out of the sub into the CLRs.. This way the crossove will cut the the lows for the clrs.
Thanks for the suggestion - however, doesn't the sub on/off switch on the CLRs do exactly that - cut the lows going to the CLRs and route the lows to the sub via the link switch on the CLRs ?

Back
Top Bottom