adding solo boost

guys, wondering if you can help me out with this. say if i have 2 patches.. identical effects/routing.. if i want to bump one's volume up as a solo boost, which parameter should i modify?

i've been going to the AMP block and modifying it there but in more complicated presets using more than one amp block i wonder if there is an easier / more preferred method?

or, is there a master output level of each patch that i'm missing? i found one screen with a fader that says 'master' but it doesn't appear to do much in terms of changing output level

in my old system (PSA-1, g-major) i basically ran my patches all -6db of full volume and for boosts i'd just make that 0db (full bore), which made it pretty easy to get consistent output levels. RIght now i tweak by hand and without access to a sound level meter, i worry that some will be perceived as much louder than others at stage volumes

You can add a filtr block - after the amp (in the same patch)- and just boost the level there. Attach a CC to it - DONE!

maltomario said:
guys, wondering if you can help me out with this. say if i have 2 patches.. identical effects/routing.. if i want to bump one's volume up as a solo boost, which parameter should i modify?

i've been going to the AMP block and modifying it there but in more complicated presets using more than one amp block i wonder if there is an easier / more preferred method?

or, is there a master output level of each patch that i'm missing? i found one screen with a fader that says 'master' but it doesn't appear to do much in terms of changing output level

in my old system (PSA-1, g-major) i basically ran my patches all -6db of full volume and for boosts i'd just make that 0db (full bore), which made it pretty easy to get consistent output levels. RIght now i tweak by hand and without access to a sound level meter, i worry that some will be perceived as much louder than others at stage volumes

If you have a foot controller that can send IA/CC, or Expression Pedal/CC, you can assign a controller to the AxeFX's Out1 and/or Out2 volume so that you toggle or sweep between two preset volumes. This way it functions as a "global" boost so you don't have to program each patch, or use separate boosted patches as you indicate. I use an expression pedal, it works great for me. A minimum value of around 100, max 127 will be about 6db. These values must be programmed into your foot controller, as it is assigned to Out1/Out2 in the I/O page.

maltomario,

(I keep posting this every time someone asks the question. I hope I'm not too redundant by doing the old "copy & paste". I only wish to present a different idea from what everyone else seems to do. Anyway...)

I accomplish a solo boost a different way...

There are often many ways to accomplish certain things with the AXE-FX. One thing that I needed to figure out early on (after getting my AXE FX) was the following: I use mine live. Sometimes at my cover band's shows there is no sound-man (or a clueless sound man). There is another guitarst in the band with me & we share lead parts throughout the gig. We play a wide range of styles & sounds. I needed to find the best way to have access to a universal "solo" effect, that is to make the overall volume of my rig louder - but, just during the guitar solos (or critical lead parts) within a given song & then be instantly capable of switching back to the normal volume. I didn't want to have to program a volume or gain boost into every one of my patches. I use LOTS of patches live, which often change as time goes on. I am also using a Boss GT-8 as a MIDI floor controller until I'm able to buy the Fractal MFC101 (if it ever becomes available) or just decide to get a Liquid Foot.

Anyway, the best solution that I came up with (and I still do this NOW) is to use a Roland EV-5 Expression pedal. I simply plug the Roland EV-5 into the "Pedal 1" 1/4" jack on the back of my AXE FX. I also assign this "Pedal 1" jack to control master volume globally. The Roland EV-5 is being used as an external volume pedal. This particular pedal has a wheel on the side of it that you can turn to set your minimum volume level (from 0 to 10). I set it at about "8". So, when the pedal is all the way back, it's slightly quieter than it is when it's all the way forward. It doesn't affect sound, simply overall volume. I keep it back for most of the show & I push it all the way forward for guitar solos or parts where I need to be louder. It works fantastic! It doesn't alter my tone 1 bit. I have another guitarist in the band and I can now be heard over him perfectly when it's my time to solo. If we have no sound man, it's a must. When we DO have a sound man, he doesn't have to do anything for me. He never has to pay attention to when I'm doing a lead or adjust the faders on the board. It's the best solution I've come up with, especially given the limitations of the Boss GT-8 that I'm using as a MIDI control device for the time being. It also keeps me from having to remember to program a volume boost of some kind into each of my MANY patches that I use live. Finally, I can easily adjust how dramatic the volume difference is on the fly by simply scrolling that little wheel on the side of the pedal. It never varies much. Again, I'm usually around "8", but occasionally I've made the volume boost more dramatic by setting it just under 8, or more subtle by setting it just over 8.

The advantage (I would think) of doing it my way vs. the way other people may be approaching it (by boosting mids or something) is that using the pedal as I do has absolutely ZERO effect on the sound of the patch. Using an EQ to boost often concerns me that the tone will be shaped slightly different once the boost is turned on. This was another concern of mine when I was pondering the possibilities.

Also, with the pedal method that I'm using, there's also some play in the middle. If I only push the expression pedal half-way forward, I only get half of my volume boost. I can go as subtle as I want with real time foot control. If you step on a button for a boost, it's "all or nothing" and only one volume difference.

There's also the issue with dealing with local soundmen. Most I've worked with in local clubs & bars are either clueless, indifferent, unfamiliar with what you're going to be doing, not paying attention, deaf, or drunk. And, when they DO expect a solo coming and try to boost your volume, they often push the fader up late, push it too far (or not enough), and don't bring the volume back down after your solo on time and/or back to the rhythm volume you were previously at. This technique removes their hijinx and incompetence from the equation.

I highly recommend trying this as an option.

Also... With the pedal method that I use, (regardless of what patch I switch over to) I always know if the volume is at the slightly quieter "rhythm" level or the boosted "lead" level by simply looking down and seeing which position the pedal is physically in.

hey thanks for that informative post ben..

now i'm wondering if i can accomplish that with one of the CC pedals on the FCB1010 midi controller. maybe define a dead zone so as to not continuously alter volume, moreso to just enable a volume boost .

currently if i assign a cc to global volume, i can adjust it alot of different ways.. what i'd like to do is just slam the cc pedal full forward to get, say, a 6db boost. will have to look into this..

trying to avoid buying an extra pedal yet - plan on getting the MFC101 and more pedals then

I cheat. I use two separate patches -  one for rhythm, and one juiced for leads.........................just step on the switch.

Perhaps the powers that be should add a stickie to address this question because it seem every week someone asks it.

Adinfinitum said:
Perhaps the powers that be should add a stickie to address thisquestions because it seem every week someone asks it.

If we had a sticky for everything that was asked every week, we wouldn't have a front page :D

Really, that is what we created the WIKI for.

One other thing you might want to consider. You might want to try different boost methods for different songs. For some solos where I don't want to alter my sound, just boosting the volume (as per browlett's post) will get the job done. For other songs, I actually want to alter the color of my tone somewhat, so I look at different options: boosting the mids, high-mids and/or highs, adding some compression (I generally use compression for my clean rhythm but not my dirty rhythm sounds), filters, and overdrive. Sometimes I will use all of these tools, sometimes only some. If you really want to get crazy, you could even try adding a second amp (that you can toggle on/off) to give you that extra bite during solos. Imagine running the USA clean for your rhythm and then adding a bit of Trainwreck on top for your solo. Ahh, the sky's the limit!

My method is similar to several of yours. I also use an EV-5 for a solo boost, but I have it programmed on a per-patch basis, because like what was said previously, I may want different things on different patches. In a typical patch, pushing the EV-5 will do these things:
*increase the level parameter (or is it gain?) in a null filter block after the amp - typically only a couple of dBs
*increase the mix on from 0% to 100% on a drive block before the amp - this is smoother and doesn't "pop" like using the bypass parameter instead of mix
*increase the ingain parameter from a really low value to a 100% on a mono delay and a plate reverb

I'm the only guitar player in my band, so I have to be careful not to overdo the actual volume increase via the null filter block.

browlett said:
maltomario,

(I keep posting this every time someone asks the question. I hope I'm not too redundant by doing the old "copy & paste". I only wish to present a different idea from what everyone else seems to do. Anyway...)

I accomplish a solo boost a different way...

There are often many ways to accomplish certain things with the AXE-FX. One thing that I needed to figure out early on (after getting my AXE FX) was the following: I use mine live. Sometimes at my cover band's shows there is no sound-man (or a clueless sound man). There is another guitarst in the band with me & we share lead parts throughout the gig. We play a wide range of styles & sounds. I needed to find the best way to have access to a universal "solo" effect, that is to make the overall volume of my rig louder - but, just during the guitar solos (or critical lead parts) within a given song & then be instantly capable of switching back to the normal volume. I didn't want to have to program a volume or gain boost into every one of my patches. I use LOTS of patches live, which often change as time goes on. I am also using a Boss GT-8 as a MIDI floor controller until I'm able to buy the Fractal MFC101 (if it ever becomes available) or just decide to get a Liquid Foot.

Anyway, the best solution that I came up with (and I still do this NOW) is to use a Roland EV-5 Expression pedal. I simply plug the Roland EV-5 into the "Pedal 1" 1/4" jack on the back of my AXE FX. I also assign this "Pedal 1" jack to control master volume globally. The Roland EV-5 is being used as an external volume pedal. This particular pedal has a wheel on the side of it that you can turn to set your minimum volume level (from 0 to 10). I set it at about "8". So, when the pedal is all the way back, it's slightly quieter than it is when it's all the way forward. It doesn't affect sound, simply overall volume. I keep it back for most of the show & I push it all the way forward for guitar solos or parts where I need to be louder. It works fantastic! It doesn't alter my tone 1 bit. I have another guitarist in the band and I can now be heard over him perfectly when it's my time to solo. If we have no sound man, it's a must. When we DO have a sound man, he doesn't have to do anything for me. He never has to pay attention to when I'm doing a lead or adjust the faders on the board. It's the best solution I've come up with, especially given the limitations of the Boss GT-8 that I'm using as a MIDI control device for the time being. It also keeps me from having to remember to program a volume boost of some kind into each of my MANY patches that I use live. Finally, I can easily adjust how dramatic the volume difference is on the fly by simply scrolling that little wheel on the side of the pedal. It never varies much. Again, I'm usually around "8", but occasionally I've made the volume boost more dramatic by setting it just under 8, or more subtle by setting it just over 8.

The advantage (I would think) of doing it my way vs. the way other people may be approaching it (by boosting mids or something) is that using the pedal as I do has absolutely ZERO effect on the sound of the patch. Using an EQ to boost often concerns me that the tone will be shaped slightly different once the boost is turned on. This was another concern of mine when I was pondering the possibilities.

Also, with the pedal method that I'm using, there's also some play in the middle. If I only push the expression pedal half-way forward, I only get half of my volume boost. I can go as subtle as I want with real time foot control. If you step on a button for a boost, it's "all or nothing" and only one volume difference.

There's also the issue with dealing with local soundmen. Most I've worked with in local clubs & bars are either clueless, indifferent, unfamiliar with what you're going to be doing, not paying attention, deaf, or drunk. And, when they DO expect a solo coming and try to boost your volume, they often push the fader up late, push it too far (or not enough), and don't bring the volume back down after your solo on time and/or back to the rhythm volume you were previously at. This technique removes their hijinx and incompetence from the equation.

I highly recommend trying this as an option.

Also... With the pedal method that I use, (regardless of what patch I switch over to) I always know if the volume is at the slightly quieter "rhythm" level or the boosted "lead" level by simply looking down and seeing which position the pedal is physically in.

Hi-well, I have tried your idea (Boss FV-500H) (axe fx ultra Pedal#2) works great and as you said, no hassle or change in sound or any need to program each patch-Thanks
BTW-you mention the GT8-I have a GT10, if you go to manual mode on the GT8 (I am assuming it has one?) can you do IA with it?
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom