Adding parallel rows in the grid increases volume?

johnnyg88

Hey guys

I like to set my delays in a parallel row to my amp sim in some of my patches. However, I'm finding that adding a row increases the volume of the patch. Is there a way around this?

Also, with spill over on, some delay patches' spill over is really loud! Like if I switch over from a patch with a dotted 1/8 delay into an amp and then switch over to a patch with a quarter note delay into a different amp, the spill over from the previous patch jumps out really loud. The repeats are even louder than when I was still in the original patch. I thought this was a problem of going from a patch with a parallel delay after the amp to a patch with delay in line before an amp, but it happens even if the grids are arranged the same exact way. It's really weird!

Any help would be great

thanks

jg

for the delay in parallel, mix should be set at 100% wet. Then adjust the Level parameter to taste

Sorry, I dont use the spillover so can't help there

Last edited:
Hey guys

I like to set my delays in a parallel row to my amp sim in some of my patches. However, I'm finding that adding a row increases the volume of the patch. Is there a way around this?

Also, with spill over on, some delay patches' spill over is really loud! Like if I switch over from a patch with a dotted 1/8 delay into an amp and then switch over to a patch with a quarter note delay into a different amp, the spill over from the previous patch jumps out really loud. The repeats are even louder than when I was still in the original patch. I thought this was a problem of going from a patch with a parallel delay after the amp to a patch with delay in line before an amp, but it happens even if the grids are arranged the same exact way. It's really weird!

Any help would be great

thanks

jg

I use spill over and have noticed this problem as well! Thought it was something with my setup too. At least I know someone else is having the same issue. Sorry don't know how to fix this issue.

If you can post these presets that will make it easier to give more info.

When the delay block passes dry signal it will increase dry level. Set it to 100% mix or reduce level somewhere, depending on the goal.

Spillover volume will depend on the new delay settings and total gain from that point. There should be a way to even levels, something like this: keep the delay block level fixed, adjust spillover level by turning something up/down after delay block. Then compensate for that adjustment before delay so the current preset stays at the same level. Use delay input gain to set (new) delay level.

There's another method for spillover using separate delay blocks, which might be useful at times. Spillover - Fractal Audio Systems Wiki

Just a reminder that with parallel routing the bypass mode needs to be some form of Mute IN or Mute Out to avoid volume increases when bypassed.

I have the same problem with the delay spillover... can't seem to work it out. I have a very delay/reverb laden patch for some crazy effects and it's impossible to switch out of it in a live setting without making the clipping light go crazy no the next patch...

Would be curious to hear if there's any solutions for sure.

...if I switch over from a patch with a dotted 1/8 delay into an amp and then switch over to a patch with a quarter note delay into a different amp, the spill over from the previous patch jumps out really loud.
If your delay feeds an amp, and you change amps when you change patches, the spillover level will be different unless both amps have exactly the same gain.

I have the same problem with the delay spillover... can't seem to work it out. I have a very delay/reverb laden patch for some crazy effects and it's impossible to switch out of it in a live setting without making the clipping light go crazy no the next patch...

Would be curious to hear if there's any solutions for sure.

Here's an example based on what I mentioned above, if your delay is after the amp:

Set delay mix & level to 50% and +6 dB (for serial placement) or 100% and 0 dB (for parallel placement) in every preset. Those settings maintain dry level and let the delay get as loud as your dry signal. They'll also keep this approach working when switching between the 2 routing styles. Either setting combo will work if you place a block for spillover only with no input.

Avoid creating any boost/cut with the post-delay chain. The later you place delay the easier this is. When you do want certain effects after delay check whether bypassing any/all changes the level.

Use amp level (or anything else between amp & delay) to set the overall preset level. Use delay input gain to set the delay level. If you need even more delay level use parallel routing and add a boost (like a null filter) before the delay only. Add another block to turn down dry level if needed.

The same applies to reverb. By not varying level & mix and staying near 0 dB gain post-fx the issue should disappear almost entirely.

Reactions: jon
Thanks for the info, I usually do set my parallel delay to 100% and adjust with the Delay Input Gain. Not sure about the bypass mode though, I'll have to check when I get home.

As far as the spillover, I'll have to experiment with your suggestions. I have different patches with different layouts (delay before amp, delay after amp, delay in parallel row after amp) so switching between the different patches might be causing the problem.

Thanks again!

jg

Back
Top Bottom