Adding delay is clipping Output - need a little guidance

mtmartin71

Experienced
I've got a rig patch built with the following scenes

Amp 2 y = Class A 30w at -6dB level at 5.5 Gain
Amp 1 x = 1959SLP Jump at -14dB level and 5 Gain
Amp 1 y = Friedman BE V1 at -14.5dB level and 7 Gain
Amp 2 x = Comet 60 at -8dB and 5.5 Gain (note I kick in a PEQ that cuts at 150hz and 6500hz)
Amp 2 x = Comet 60 at -8dB and 8.8 Gain (increase thru scene controller)

First 3 scenes are set up to hit 0db on the VU meter. The last two are set to hit around +5db on the VU meter. I get no clipping from the Comet lead patches until I add a Vintage Digital delay in parallel. My settings are 100% mix, -5dB Level, and 65% Input Gain. I tried lowering stuff, but the low end notes cause a clip.

So a couple of things...with my current methodology, what can I do at the delay block to correct the gain staging of adding the effect in parallel? Second, are most of you setting your digital zero for your lead levels and then dropping back to -5dB on the VU for your rhythm patches?

Can you post a SS of the layout?

If your running the effects in parallel you need to adjust the mix on them most likely so its not adding an additional boost to the layout.

dont quote me on this but i think the extra pathway would be at unity gain at -6 db so try bringing it down a decibel and see if that helps. something else ill do on my space-ier clean patches is throw a compressor block at the end of my delay chain and adjust to taste

Adding a parallel signal will always increase the total signal level no matter how small the added signal is. If you want the level of the resulting wet/dry mix to be less, you have to reduce both the wet and dry signal levels proportionately or reduce the signal level after they are both mixed together.

This is exactly what the mix parameter does for you when running delays in series. When in parallel, you have to compensate them yourself. It is not possible to have a fixed dry level and maintain unity gain with the wet/dry mix. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

A related question to ask here...what level are you guys setting for your base level patches i.e. non lead patches. I've been setting my base to hit 0dB on the VU meter but that doesn't leave me room to move on the lead even though they don't clip until I throw the heavy delays on the leads in there. For a frame of reference, where's your dB level for you Plexi 100W Jump patches? Those sit around -13dB for me...I think.

for parallel delay, set the MIX to 100 and adjust the wet/dry mix with Level.
I have been setting the 'Mix' at 100%, the 'Level' at 0.0 db, and using the 'Input Gain' to adjust the delay level. The advantage is.....

When switching presets with 'spillover' on.......or using 'X/Y' and switching from a louder or quieter delay level, The delay tails volume will always stay consistent...

I have been setting the 'Mix' at 100%, the 'Level' at 0.0 db, and using the 'Input Gain' to adjust the delay level. The advantage is.....

When switching presets with 'spillover' on.......or using 'X/Y' and switching from a louder or quieter delay level, The delay tails volume will always stay consistent...
yup that works as well.

Got ya...that's where I arrived too as far as the delay mixes for parellel. Reverb is at 30% input gain...if I even use it. What I meant to clarify were amp block levels for standard patches. I have been setting those to 0dB on the VU meter and decided to back that down to around -2 to -3dB to give me a little more space to come up on a lead sound without clipping worries.

Back
Top Bottom